DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Best HD/BD of Janaury 2007 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/491273-best-hd-bd-janaury-2007-a.html)

jfrost 02-01-07 10:21 AM

Best HD/BD of Janaury 2007

Which disc do you feel was the best overall HD DVD or Blu-ray released in January 2007?

Take into consideration the film, audio/video quality, and special features - NOT only the film!

Arpeggi 02-01-07 10:26 AM

The Sting HD DVD.

From your list though, it's Lucky # Slevin.

Adam Tyner 02-01-07 10:26 AM

I don't have a BD deck, so I can't vote on any of those titles.

Purely movie...? The Sting.
The whole package...? Clerks II.

January was a dismal month for HD DVD, and those are the only two movies I can point to as particularly enjoying. (I have a couple of January releases still in the mail, so I may be able to add a movie or two to that list, but...yeah.)

Arpeggi 02-01-07 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I don't have a BD deck, so I can't vote on any of those titles.

The whole package...? Clerks II.

Only if by whole package, you mean the whole package minus the film. ;)

digitalfreaknyc 02-01-07 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Arpeggi

I see your consistancy for making fun of other people's choices is holding up.

-rolleyes-

I chose "other" for Black Rain.

Hammer99 02-01-07 10:31 AM

I agree on The Sting... but from your list, Chicago, with honorable mention to Crank.

Arpeggi 02-01-07 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I see your consistancy for making fun of other people's choices is holding up.

-rolleyes-

I chose "other" for Black Rain.

I see your consistancy with being absolutely humorless is holding up.

;)

Adam Tyner 02-01-07 10:43 AM

Nope. I really dug Clerks II.

Doughboy 02-01-07 11:00 AM

I only watched the first 10 minutes or so of Clerks II and didn't find it very funny. If the rest of it is a lot better, I'll reevaluate my vote.

Otherwise I'm going with Chicago. Great transfer(albeit very grainy), incredible PCM track, and nearly all the extras from the 2-disc set.

Arpeggi 02-01-07 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
I only watched the first 10 minutes or so of Clerks II and didn't find it very funny. If the rest of it is a lot better, I'll reevaluate my vote.

Have you seen other Kevin Smith movies? If you like those, then you'll probably like Clerks II. If you hate those, you'll hate Clerks II even more.

Doughboy 02-01-07 11:08 AM

Have you seen other Kevin Smith movies? If you like those, then you'll probably like Clerks II. If you hate those, you'll hate Clerks II even more.

I've noticed he has an even numbered curse with me. I loved Clerks, didn't care for Mallrats, loved Chasing Amy, thought Dogma was ok, loved Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, and caught a few minutes of the dreadful Jersey Girl before turning it off.

So by that rationale, I'll love Clerks II once I watch it all. I just didn't think the beginning of the movie was particularly good. Then again, the first Clerks started off slow as well.

Arpeggi 02-01-07 11:12 AM

You'll probably like it then.

Hammer99 02-01-07 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
I've noticed he has an even numbered curse with me. I loved Clerks, didn't care for Mallrats, loved Chasing Amy, though Dogma was ok, loved Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, and caught a few minutes of the dreadful Jersey Girl before turning it off.

So by that rationale, I'll love Clerks II once I watch it all. I just didn't think the beginning of the movie was particularly good. Then again, the first Clerks started off slow as well.

I thought Clerks II was his best since Mallrats, very much enjoyed it, lots of good laughs throughout... but the only extra I took the time to watch was the intro. :D

Skoobooz 02-01-07 11:17 AM

For HD DVD: Clerks II (a slow month)
For Blu-Ray: Chicago

Sepen 02-01-07 11:59 AM

Crank, although Clerks II was a great movie as well.

ScottsDvds 02-01-07 12:05 PM

These are my favorites:
1. The Mummy Returns
2. Clerks II
3. Black Rain
4. Scooby-Doo
5. The Sting/Brokeback Mountain

shaggy 02-01-07 12:09 PM

Clerks 2 by a landslide. Great audio/video and lots of entertaining extras. I'm very impressed with the Weinstein and Paramount releases of newer films. Its nice to have HD transfers and all or more of the extras. That is my biggest reason for not jumping on BD yet, the lack of bonus features. Fox pricing is on the high side and they dont even include all the extras of the standard DVD, much less the 2 disc versions. Maybe Fox isn't happy with the double dip, they want us to buy each movie 4 or 5 times.

matome 02-01-07 12:50 PM

Crank, as it's probably the best looking BD that I own. Resident Evil may have had the best PCM soundtrack though.

darkside 02-01-07 01:06 PM

It would have to be Clerks II. This was a great movie with a lot of extras. Well worth the price for this one. Not to mention there was little to choose from on HD DVD.

FantasticVSDoom 02-01-07 02:38 PM

Another Clerks 2 vote here...Love the movie, and well, it was the only HD DVD for me in January so that makes it pretty easy.

BigDogg 02-01-07 03:15 PM

Clerks II, great movie and great extras especially the 90 minute documentary

Supermallet 02-01-07 03:29 PM

Clerks II, Mummy Returns, The Sting. Once Chicago arrives on BD I may add that too, judging by other's responses here.

Josh Z 02-01-07 03:37 PM

The only one of the movies on that list I can stand is Brokeback, so that gets my vote by default.

Maxflier 02-01-07 03:45 PM

Mummy Returns

Mr. Cinema 02-01-07 05:27 PM

I voted Poseidon because, well, that was the only HD DVD I bought.