Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which satellite provider has the best picture quality/programming?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-28-07, 06:28 PM
Suspended

I currently subscribe to Time Warner cable but I'm thinking of switching to satellite. Is Dish Network or Direct TV better from a HD prospective in terms of both picture quality and programming?
Old 01-28-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if DirectTV actually makes good on their claim of 100 HD channels by the end of 2007, it would be hands down them.

That's a mighty big "if" however.
Old 01-28-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have DTV , and am keeping them with the promise of more HDTV channels, will be getting 2 of their new HD DVR's (after their discounts offered to me, they will run me about 40 bucks together, it helps being a long time customer with perfect payment history) this weekend... I can't wait, as one of them can hold up to 50 hours of HDTV programs
Old 01-28-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Your best bet is to get uncompressed locals via OTA. If you are looking for more cable type programming, Dish Network is in the lead. Although, that is debatable since much of their content is old Voom Network stuff, that's not like network broadcast stuff.

As DVDJosh says, DirecTV should have quite a few nationals by the end of this year. Personally, I'd wait it out, to see what the response is by Dish and Cable, and then go from there.
Old 01-28-07, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does Dish Network have HDnet?
Old 01-29-07, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes. You can see what all is available in their HD lineup at www.dishnetwork.com.
Old 01-30-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went with an 18 month commitment to Dish last May figuring I'd see where DirecTV was at when it ends. This year should be interesting with DirecTV's new sats and HD promises. When November comes I may well switch back to DirecTV if they make good on the new HD. Like has already been stated, that's a big if.
Old 01-30-07, 06:44 PM
Suspended

Ok, so the consensus seems to be wait and see. Hopefully, things will shake out by years end.
Old 01-30-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My HD-dvrs couldnt have come at a better time as one of my 3 tivos just overheated and died on me this evening... RIP old buddy
Old 02-02-07, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by lewisb73
I have DTV , and am keeping them with the promise of more HDTV channels, will be getting 2 of their new HD DVR's (after their discounts offered to me, they will run me about 40 bucks together, it helps being a long time customer with perfect payment history) this weekend... I can't wait, as one of them can hold up to 50 hours of HDTV programs
I've been a customer since about '95, what kind of deals did you get? I'm interested in upgrading as well.
Old 02-03-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by austinc3
I've been a customer since about '95, what kind of deals did you get? I'm interested in upgrading as well.
In November I got the new HDDVR the [email protected]) and their HD receiver the H20 as well as the five LNB dish for free after calling retention. I have been a subscriber since 2003 and have bought Sunay Ticket and the MLB package every year. If you are persistent they will give them to you at retention for free.

Have you ever asked for free hardware upgrades before? If not that should be your key point. I didn't try the "i'm switching to dish" bull shit. I told them I love DTV and have been a very loyal customer so they needed to take care of me.
Old 02-03-07, 08:59 AM

I've never really asked for anything before. Nows the time I guess. Thanks for the heads up! How do I get in touch with retention?
Old 02-03-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try this number: 800-266-4388. It is supposed to get you to non ESL operators. Ask them to transfer you to retention.
Old 02-04-07, 01:13 AM
Banned by request

This is probably totally off topic, but HDNet is currently showing all three Back To The Future movies. They look quite good.
Old 02-04-07, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
This is probably totally off topic, but HDNet is currently showing all three Back To The Future movies. They look quite good.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll DVR 'em.
Old 02-04-07, 01:24 AM
Banned by request

Glad to be of service.
Old 02-04-07, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone seen a correlation between what HDNet Movies shows and what is released on BD/HDDVD? Just curious.
Old 02-04-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I DVR'd all of them last night, they progressively got better looking the newer they were

On topic, was impressed by the quality of the first Star Wars and Empire Strikes back on HBOHD as well

As for my deal asked about earlier, I got 2 DVR's, first one free, second for 200, got programming discounts for 6 months to make the final cost less... granted they had to override" the system which wont let you rder 2 by placing notes within my account, which came in handy when the installer showed up expecting to install one... still was on the phone for hours

I am a 7 yr subscriber with 3 boxes, a couple of premium channels, total choice or whatever the best basic lineup is, and I have had a perfect payment history. I even got an EXTRA 50 dollar credit yesterday because I was supposed to have an over the air antenna installed by them, and of course it was not on my order too, not that I wanted it for the Super Bowl of anything, but I was told that DTV will probably have the HD locals in my area sooner than later