Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Universal to release over 100 titles in 2007 on HD DVD

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Universal to release over 100 titles in 2007 on HD DVD

Old 03-06-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What Universal needs is to start releasing some of the movies Spielberg made for them. That could be a good push for HD.

Last edited by big e; 03-06-07 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-06-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by big e
What Universal needs is to start releasing some of the movies Spielberg made for them. That could be a good push for HD.
Spielberg has enough clout over Universal to say when his titles can be released, and he prefers to wait until the format achieves a desired market penetration. This is the same reason there weren't many Spielberg titles on DVD until that format had matured quite a bit.
Old 03-06-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder which would happen first: Universal Spielberg titles appearing on HD DVD or Universal announcing neutral support?

I 100% firmly believe they will be exclusive all of 2007. After that? I'm not sure. The Christmas season will be an important factor. I think HD DVD needs some of those blockbusters to stay in the fight long term. Releasing Jurassic Park, Jaws, and E.T. would certainly help.

I would like to see them release some of his high profile titles to see what kind of impact that has for HD DVD.
Old 03-07-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont know... I dont think the Spielberg titles will make that much of a difference. At this point, its cheaper hardware/discs that will cause people to buy. I cant think of many people who would say, Ill buy HD (or BD for that matter) when "xxx" is out. Sure people on this board would say it, but the general moving buying public still doesnt care about titles when they will say I have 1000 movies (and they are all bootlegs).