DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Universal to release over 100 titles in 2007 on HD DVD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/490679-universal-release-over-100-titles-2007-hd-dvd.html)

Adam Tyner 01-27-07 03:23 PM

Split the off-topic discussion about Band of Brothers (and other non-Universal titles) into the general HD DVD news/discussion thread.

candyrocket786 01-28-07 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I may just end up importing some of these in order to avoid the "combo" format.

Children of Men @ Amazon.fr

http://www.amazon.fr/fils-lhomme-HD-...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

digitalfreaknyc 01-28-07 10:02 AM

I may just end up importing some of these in order to avoid the "combo" format.

I think the only way I'd do that is if all the extras aren't on the same side as the movie...which I don't think will happen any more.

bloopbleep 01-28-07 10:04 AM

any word on any hd universal monster releases aka frankenstein, bride of frankenstein, dracula ? thanks

DthRdrX 01-28-07 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by bloopbleep
any word on any hd universal monster releases aka frankenstein, bride of frankenstein, dracula ? thanks

Dracula and Frankenstein were on the list long ago so maybe we'll see them this year.

Mr. Cinema 01-28-07 11:07 AM

This Halloween, we could have Dawn of the Dead '04, Dracula, Frankenstein, and Psycho all on HD DVD. That would be nice.

True_Story1011 02-27-07 10:03 AM

what matches from a month ago?!

True_Story1011 02-27-07 10:39 AM

Shaun of the Dead.... A must! lol

fryinpan1 03-01-07 03:25 PM

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#030107

Now for that Universal news. Let's start with HD-DVD. Specific dates are still TBA, but here's what the studio is prepping for high-definition over the summer (most of the April and May titles are already confirmed):

April - The Good Shepherd, Smokin' Aces, The Game, The Jerk, The Hitcher, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Nutty Professor

May - Alpha Dog, The 40-Year-Old Virgin: Unrated, Smokey and the Bandit, Hurricane, Skeleton Key, The River, Midnight Run, The Frighteners, The Big Lebowski, Dragonheart, Lost in Translation

June - Breach, Bruce Almighty, Liar Liar, Sneakers, Born on the 4th of July, Scent of a Women, Daylight, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Meet Joe Black, Mallrats, Being John Malkovich, Mystery Men, American Me, The Watcher, Bulletproof

July - Billy Madison, The War, The Wedding Date, Dante's Peak, Cat in the Hat, Dead Silence, The Bourne Identity, The Nutty Professor 2, In Good Company, Streets of Fire, Hot Fuzz, Sea of Love, Darkman, Shaun of the Dead, Deliver Us from Eva

August - Heroes: Season One

September - The Last Starfighter, Legend, Battlestar Galactica: Season One, For the Love of the Game, Knocked Up, Evening, The Getaway: Unrated, Patch Adams, Cat People

DthRdrX 03-01-07 03:44 PM

The Frighteners!

candyrocket786 03-01-07 03:59 PM

I'm definitely pumped for the New Releases.

As I said on AVS.....

Hopefully, Universal gives us the Tangerine Dream cut of Legend!

Glad to see that we are getting Heroes in HD!!! :up:

digitalfreaknyc 03-01-07 04:08 PM

Holy shit. Where did my post go?

Anyway, I'll take about 5 of those to go, please. :)

But I wants MORE!

mdc3000 03-01-07 04:18 PM

I'll be getting:

April - The Good Shepherd, Smokin' Aces, The Game, The Jerk, The Hitcher, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

May - Alpha Dog, The 40-Year-Old Virgin: Unrated, The Frighteners, The Big Lebowski, Dragonheart, Lost in Translation

June - Breach, Bruce Almighty, Liar Liar, Sneakers, Born on the 4th of July, Scent of a Women, Being John Malkovich

July - Dead Silence, The Bourne Identity, In Good Company, Hot Fuzz, Darkman, Shaun of the Dead

September - The Last Starfighter, Legend, Battlestar Galactica: Season One, Knocked Up

Awesome stuff universal, really pumped for Lebowski, Frighteners and Heroes.

digitalfreaknyc 03-01-07 04:24 PM

I didn't realize that was 58 titles. Damn, that's most of Universal's slate for the year. :(

Vipper II 03-01-07 04:25 PM

Glad to see that we are getting Heroes in HD!!! :up:

If priced reasonably, do you think Heroes would be a decent blind buy? All of the previews I've seen for it have looked pretty damn good, and I am not sure I want to rely on Netflix.

digitalfreaknyc 03-01-07 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Vipper II
If priced reasonably, do you think Heroes would be a decent blind buy? All of the previews I've seen for it have looked pretty damn good, and I am not sure I want to rely on Netflix.

I've only seen the first eppy...and it was a preview...a while ago. I might blind buy it.

Grubert 03-01-07 04:33 PM

What's better, Heroes or BattleStar Galactica?

Adam Tyner 03-01-07 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Grubert
What's better, Heroes or BattleStar Galactica?

I haven't been watching Heroes, although I plan on buying the HD DVD set. The miniseries that opens Battlestar Galactica is kind of lackluster (fine, but not great), but the first season/season and a half are outstanding. In my opinion, the show took such a dramatic nosedive in season two, particularly the last half of the season, that I found it unwatchable and couldn't bother with season three.

candyrocket786 03-01-07 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Vipper II

Yes.... Excellent Blind Buy.

This show has surpassed LOST in my weekly viewing list.

darkside 03-01-07 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by fryinpan1

April - Smokin' Aces

May - The 40-Year-Old Virgin: Unrated, Midnight Run, The Frighteners, The Big Lebowski, Lost in Translation

June - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Mallrats,

July - Shaun of the Dead

August - Heroes: Season One (depends on cost)

September - Nothing

9 movies is about all I want and some of those are iffy. Heroes would be awesome, but I'm betting the sticker price will drive me to the regular DVD.

bunkaroo 03-01-07 04:50 PM

Some nice announcements there. Nothing big or momentous, but oh well.

My "gets":

April - The Good Shepherd (rental unless I can get it for $25 or less), The Game, The Jerk, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

May - The 40-Year-Old Virgin: Unrated, Midnight Run, The Frighteners, The Big Lebowski, Lost in Translation

June - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Being John Malkovich (!!!!)

July - Dante's Peak, The Bourne Identity, Sea of Love, Darkman, Shaun of the Dead,

September - The Last Starfighter, Battlestar Galactica: Season One,

Skoobooz 03-01-07 04:59 PM

I'll take The Game, The Jerk, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Nutty Professor, The Big Lebowski, Liar Liar, Sneakers, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Mallrats, Mystery Men, Being John Malkovich, Billy Madison, Darkman and Shaun of the Dead. Very exciting!

Mr. Cinema 03-01-07 05:15 PM

I missed Heroes from the start, but I'll certainly be purchasing the HD DVD set. Not to mention about 20 other titles. It's a great mix of stuff, but I don't think anyone would have been bothered if they had listed a big blockbuster film or two.

DVD Josh 03-01-07 05:42 PM

Looks like Universal is starting to "wake the hell up" as I posted in another thread.

Kocheese99 03-01-07 06:17 PM

I'm in for:

April - Smokin' Aces, The Game, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

May - The River, Midnight Run, The Frighteners, The Big Lebowski, Lost in Translation

June - Breach, Bruce Almighty, Liar Liar, Sneakers, Mallrats, Being John Malkovich, Mystery Men

July -The Wedding Date, The Bourne Identity, In Good Company, Hot Fuzz, Darkman, Shaun of the Dead

September - Legend, Battlestar Galactica: Season One, The Getaway: Unrated, Patch Adams

DeanoBKN 03-01-07 06:36 PM

I'm in for Smokin' Aces, The Game, Midnight Run (oh hell yea!), Lost in Translation, Breach, Heroes: Season One

True_Story1011 03-01-07 06:41 PM

April - The Good Shepherd, Smokin' Aces, The Game, The Hitcher (blind buy), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,

May - The 40-Year-Old Virgin: Unrated, The Frighteners, The Big Lebowski, Lost in Translation

June - Liar Liar, Born on the 4th of July, Scent of a Women, Mallrats, Being John Malkovich

July - The Bourne Identity, Hot Fuzz, Darkman, Shaun of the Dead

September - The Last Starfighter, Legend, Cat People

Its looking really good for HD-DVD!!

Supermallet 03-01-07 06:51 PM

I'll be getting The Game, The Jerk, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The 40-Year-Old Virgin: Unrated, The Frighteners, The Big Lebowski, Dragonheart, Lost in Translation, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Being John Malkovich, Billy Madison, The Bourne Identity, Darkman, The Last Starfighter, Cat People.

Arpeggi 03-01-07 08:02 PM

Lost in Translation ---> HD DVD/Universal is god!

Mammal 03-01-07 08:04 PM

The Frighteners SE? Or the theatrical version?

namja 03-01-07 08:09 PM

I look forward to the following:

April - The Game
June - Breach, Sneakers, Scent of a Woman, Meet Joe Black, Mallrats
July - The Wedding Date, The Bourne Identity

Heroes is a great blind buy.

ScottsDvds 03-01-07 08:39 PM

Great list, I can't wait. :up:

FantasticVSDoom 03-01-07 08:57 PM

Another vote for Heros as a good BB... Hell I may even buy it just to re-watch in HD. Also in for Eternal Sunshine, Lost in Translation, Billy Madison, and Shaun of the Dead. Damn I cant wait!!

kiett_2000 03-01-07 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by namja
I look forward to the following:

April - The Game
June - Breach, Sneakers, Scent of a Woman, Meet Joe Black, Mallrats
July - The Wedding Date, The Bourne Identity

Heroes is a great blind buy.

Dude, you are the only one not getting The Good Shepard.

The Monkees 03-01-07 09:57 PM

I wish they would do Blu-Ray, I just bought a PS3, or at least do combos with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray

Just Lurking 03-01-07 10:09 PM

April - The Good Shepherd, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

May - The 40-Year-Old Virgin: Unrated, Dragonheart, Lost in Translation

June - Bruce Almighty, Liar Liar, Born on the 4th of July, Mallrats

July - Cat in the Hat, The Bourne Identity, In Good Company

August -

September - Patch Adams

Big Worms 03-01-07 10:35 PM

What I would probably get:

April - Smokin' Aces, The Jerk, The Nutty Professor

May - The Frighteners, The Big Lebowski, Dragonheart

June - Liar Liar, Sneakers, Mallrats

July - Dante's Peak, Cat in the Hat, The Nutty Professor 2

September - For the Love of the Game,Patch Adams

Hammer99 03-01-07 11:35 PM

Lots of nice titles there, but Midnight Run is the cream of the crop to me!

Fincher Fan 03-01-07 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
September - The Getaway: Unrated

:hscratch: Didn't this just come out?

Rusty James 03-02-07 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
:hscratch: Didn't this just come out?

This would be the (awful) remake with Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger.