DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Universal to release over 100 titles in 2007 on HD DVD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/490679-universal-release-over-100-titles-2007-hd-dvd.html)

applesandrice 01-26-07 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Third Jake
Someone who plans to buy into HD DVD but hasn't done so yet? Children of Men comes out on a combo disc, our hypothetical movie viewer can buy the combo disc and enjoy the movie on DVD right now. But, a year later when he finally takes the plunge and gets an HD DVD player - would you look at that, he's already got some HD content to watch.

One more perfectly valid reason for their existence. I know this is tantamount to heresy around here, but what do you suppose would happen if an HD-DVD studio like Universal dropped SD disc production entirely and released NOTHING BUT combos at regular HD-DVD prices?

I suppose that's a question for another thread . . .

darkside 01-26-07 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by applesandrice
One more perfectly valid reason for their existence. I know this is tantamount to heresy around here, but what do you suppose would happen if an HD-DVD studio like Universal dropped SD disc production entirely and released NOTHING BUT combos at regular HD-DVD prices?

Not even a possibility at this point. If HD DVD really got on a roll this year that might be a possibility a year or two from now, but at this point there are no signs of it happening.

bunkaroo 01-26-07 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by The Third Jake
Someone who plans to buy into HD DVD but hasn't done so yet? Children of Men comes out on a combo disc, our hypothetical movie viewer can buy the combo disc and enjoy the movie on DVD right now. But, a year later when he finally takes the plunge and gets an HD DVD player - would you look at that, he's already got some HD content to watch.

I would bet money that less than 15% of combo purchases are made by those who are planning to buy HD in the future. Most consumers don't think like that. We don't buy what we can use later, we buy what we can use right now.

applesandrice 01-26-07 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
Not even a possibility at this point. If HD DVD really got on a roll this year that might be a possibility a year or two from now, but at this point there are no signs of it happening.

Throw caution to the wind and just imagine it. What could you foresee as a result?

Engel07 01-26-07 04:16 PM

Since the consumers have no choice but to buy the combo discs, at least they can do is create 2 discs instead of 1 disc. It probably costs them 5 cents for a regular standard disc. They are charging us extra...then might as well release them with 2 discs - one HD disc and the other standard disc.

The combo is a win (studio) - lose (consumer) case in my opinion.

bunkaroo 01-26-07 04:17 PM

Throw caution to the wind and just imagine it. What could you foresee as a result?

I know it wasn't directed at me, but I would foresee a lot more renting of Universal titles by the average DVD viewer. People impulse buy standard DVD's for new releases at a release day price of $14.99 to $17.99. They're not going to do that for ~$23.99 to ~$27.99 combos.

Engel07 01-26-07 04:21 PM

Yep....the majority without HD player would not buy a combo disc just because.... It's like buying a rim for a new car that you "might" buy a year from now...but not certain. Since there are still two options - HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, they're probably still deciding which one to buy...until then, they're still comfortable paying for the cheaper price for just standard DVD movies.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I would bet money that less than 15% of combo purchases are made by those who are planning to buy HD in the future. Most consumers don't think like that. We don't buy what we can use later, we buy what we can use right now.

digitalfreaknyc 01-26-07 05:50 PM

I already thought about that...with all these combos.

Mr. Cinema 01-26-07 06:20 PM

Wouldn't that piss off millions upon millions of their customer base who don't want HD anything?

applesandrice 01-26-07 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I already thought about that...with all these combos.

I, too, think it's really interesting that 90% of their HD-DVD releases this year will be combos. I think if the in-store price was right (maybe around the same as a 2-disc DVD release) they could totally pull it off -- with certain titles, at least. Anyway, it could be a relatively effective way to "reach out" to the SD crowd; it wouldn't force them to abandon their beloved SD format, and it would serve to inform the uninitiated, too.

I realize, though, that's a lot of "what if", and it's all built on purely unsubstantiated speculation. Just for the record, I don't see it happening tomorrow, and I really wouldn't expect them to just drop all SD disc production, but if they were to do it with a handful of titles . . .

"I know I don't know nothin'. I'm just speculatin' on a hypothesis!":)

BigDogg 01-26-07 07:26 PM

any news on how soon it will be released?

Mercury&Solace 01-26-07 08:46 PM

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind = Sale!
^Copped

SterlingBen 01-27-07 11:59 AM

Glad I waited for bsg

candyrocket786 01-27-07 02:00 PM

I may just end up importing some of these in order to avoid the "combo" format.

viking99 01-27-07 02:20 PM

Well, part of the answer would be that Blockbuster, NetFlix, etc. would be "forced" to buy and rent the combo disks for their normal rental price. For every person who buys a disk, there are many more that just rent them. That vast majority of viewers would start to realize "Hey, since I'm already renting access to a superior version of this movie, maybe I should spend the $300 for an HD-DVD player." Demand for both players and combo rental disks would spiral upward. Could be the shot that ends the war.....

(btw: I'm format neutral and don't yet have a dog in this fight. Just applying logic to help answer the question raised.)

Adam Tyner 01-27-07 03:23 PM

Split the off-topic discussion about Band of Brothers (and other non-Universal titles) into the general HD DVD news/discussion thread.

candyrocket786 01-28-07 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786

Children of Men @ Amazon.fr

http://www.amazon.fr/fils-lhomme-HD-...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

digitalfreaknyc 01-28-07 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786

I think the only way I'd do that is if all the extras aren't on the same side as the movie...which I don't think will happen any more.

bloopbleep 01-28-07 10:04 AM

any word on any hd universal monster releases aka frankenstein, bride of frankenstein, dracula ? thanks

DthRdrX 01-28-07 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by bloopbleep
any word on any hd universal monster releases aka frankenstein, bride of frankenstein, dracula ? thanks

Dracula and Frankenstein were on the list long ago so maybe we'll see them this year.

Mr. Cinema 01-28-07 11:07 AM

This Halloween, we could have Dawn of the Dead '04, Dracula, Frankenstein, and Psycho all on HD DVD. That would be nice.

True_Story1011 02-27-07 10:03 AM

what matches from a month ago?!

True_Story1011 02-27-07 10:39 AM

Shaun of the Dead.... A must! lol

fryinpan1 03-01-07 03:25 PM

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#030107

Now for that Universal news. Let's start with HD-DVD. Specific dates are still TBA, but here's what the studio is prepping for high-definition over the summer (most of the April and May titles are already confirmed):

April - The Good Shepherd, Smokin' Aces, The Game, The Jerk, The Hitcher, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Nutty Professor

May - Alpha Dog, The 40-Year-Old Virgin: Unrated, Smokey and the Bandit, Hurricane, Skeleton Key, The River, Midnight Run, The Frighteners, The Big Lebowski, Dragonheart, Lost in Translation

June - Breach, Bruce Almighty, Liar Liar, Sneakers, Born on the 4th of July, Scent of a Women, Daylight, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Meet Joe Black, Mallrats, Being John Malkovich, Mystery Men, American Me, The Watcher, Bulletproof

July - Billy Madison, The War, The Wedding Date, Dante's Peak, Cat in the Hat, Dead Silence, The Bourne Identity, The Nutty Professor 2, In Good Company, Streets of Fire, Hot Fuzz, Sea of Love, Darkman, Shaun of the Dead, Deliver Us from Eva

August - Heroes: Season One

September - The Last Starfighter, Legend, Battlestar Galactica: Season One, For the Love of the Game, Knocked Up, Evening, The Getaway: Unrated, Patch Adams, Cat People

DthRdrX 03-01-07 03:44 PM

The Frighteners!