Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Baltimore Sun Columnist Wants You To Play a Joke on Your HD Friends

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-22-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features...l=bal-pe-today

Clearly, you must see the humor in high-def television
Kevin Cowherd

Originally published Jan 18, 2007

Kevin Cowherd
If you're looking for cheap, easy entertainment - and who isn't these days? - here's something that's always a hit.

Get yourself invited to the home of a friend who's just sunk two or three grand into a fancy high-def TV.

Get him to put on a football game or reality show or drama or whatever.

(This won't be hard to do - he just sank all that dough into the TV, and he'll want to show it off.)

Anyway, no matter what he puts on, watch it for a minute or two.

Then shake your head and say: "Maybe it's me. But I just don't see any difference between high-def and regular TV."

Then sit back and watch the fireworks as his head explodes."What?!" he'll scream. "You don't see any difference?"

Shake your head no.

Then shrug your shoulders and add apologetically: "It's probably me."

At this point, your friend will look at you as if you're crazy.

Then he'll bolt out of his chair and grab the remote.

Then he'll start clicking furiously between high-def and regular TV programming.

"OK, here's high-def," he'll say, pointing at the screen. "You see how bright it is?"

Then after a click: "And here's regular TV. It's day and night! You don't see the difference?"

Again, shake your head no.

Offer a sheepish grin that says: I must be a little slow.

Then, as if attempting to change the subject, look around the room and say something like: "Did you guys put in new carpeting?" By now, your friend will be so upset he'll be on the verge of hyper-ventilating.

After all, he just spent all this money on a state-of-the-art high-def TV.

You're supposed to be swooning over the magnificent picture. You're supposed to be oohing and ahhing over the wondrous clarity.

Only ... you're not.

n fact, you don't seem impressed at all!

How the hell can he talk about carpeting at a time like this?! "Look," he'll say, raising his voice as he clicks the remote again. "Here's high-def, OK? Look how clear it is. See that guy there? See how you can see every blemish and wrinkle on his face?

"Now here's regular TV," he'll say, clicking again. "There's the same guy, right? And look at his face! It's not as clear! You don't see any blemishes or wrinkles at all!"

At this point, he will turn to you with a triumphant look, as if his argument has been made so soundly that a reasonable person could no longer dispute it.

OK, here's what you do now.

Continue staring at the screen for a few seconds.

Then say: "Well, to be honest, I'm not sure I want to see every blemish and wrinkle in a person's face. If you could actually see them in high-def, which I can't."

At this, your friend will clench his jaw and grind his teeth together.

The veins in his neck will be ready to burst. He may even have to leave the room to compose himself so that he does not lunge at you and attempt to strangle you.

But even if he does leave the room, he'll be back in a minute or two. Oh, yes, he's not through with you.

He won't drop this subject until he makes you see that high-def is the greatest thing to happen to TV since they added color, and he bought the best damn high-def TV on the market.

OK, so now he returns with a tight smile etched on his face.

Trying to keep his voice nonchalant, he picks up the remote, clicks on a nature show and says: "OK, here's a desert scene in high-def. And here it is in regular TV. Would you at least agree that the picture looks wider in high-def? In other words, you see more of the desert? More cactus, more rocks baking in the hot sun, more slithering reptiles, etc.?"

Study the desert scene thoughtfully for a few seconds.

Then say: "I don't know . . . they both look pretty much the same to me."

At this point, with your friend quivering with rage and about to lose control and start smashing things, you should probably leave.

Besides, that's plenty of entertainment for one day.

And if you find yourself bored a few days later, you can always go back, ask to see his new TV, and mess with his head again.

A good opening line for your return visit might be: "They talk about the great Dolby Digital surround sound you get with these things. But it sounds the same as regular TV to me. I don't hear any difference."

And just like that, it'll be showtime again.

[email protected]
Old 01-22-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He got paid to write that? I couldn't give a shit what my friends think, though generally they're pretty impressed with HDTV. I'd probably tell them to just shut up after the "Offer a sheepish grin that says: I must be a little slow" part.
Old 01-22-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
If you read the "talkback" msg boards about this, it's hilarious to see people's reading comprehension skills. Whole dissertations about HD vs. SD, angry opinions, etc. It's beyond clear this is tongue-in-cheek, but many people didn't bother to read past the headline before posting.
Old 01-22-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's funny stuff. I've gotta forward it to my friends. Mostly so they don't find it on their own and decide to try it on me . . .
Old 01-22-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Man I would tell my friends to shut the frak up or leave. But honestly those who are seeing HD for the first time, usually crap themselves to quickly, to try this prank.
Old 01-22-07, 05:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Bonus points if you pull the sound trick on someone with a tube amp and high end speakers.
Old 01-22-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
Kevin Cowherd has some great articles. I especially love the ones that come off as a big "Screw you!" to a certain demographic. It's always fun to read the "Letters to the Editor" that bash the guy, and see all the morons who take life way too seriously. Too bad the rest of the paper is nothing but crap.

Last edited by Vipper II; 01-22-07 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-22-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My reaction, at the point that the "friend" says "it's probably just me," would be "you're probably right. Some people aren't quite astute enough to grasp the obvious. You're better off staying away from all this new-fangled technology."

OK, not really. But I would tell them that if they really can't see the difference, the problem is with them, and I would politely suggest that maybe HD isn't for them.
Old 01-22-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great joke to play on a friend...if you are an asshole.
Old 01-22-07, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't get angry. I know plenty of idiots that can't tell the difference between HDTV and SDTV. Most of them own HDTVs and only watch standard def on it and talk about how amazing it looks.
Old 01-22-07, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by flashburn
Great joke to play on a friend...if you are an asshole.
Old 01-22-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldnt get mad, I would just assume they were blind and deaf... Because even my wife, who couldnt careless about any of this shit and who prefers to watch our 13" tv at times, notices the differences. In fact when we are watching Heros, VM, or American Idol, and I have yet to turn it to the HD channel she says, "why arent we watching this in HD, this looks like shit ??"
Old 01-22-07, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts
My wife always says she can't tell, I knew she was lying.
Old 01-23-07, 01:00 AM

My favourite quote from Payback - after Mel Gibson shoots the leather suitcases:

"My God! That's just mean!"

Of course, you could just "plug" your friend - "can you see the detail on this bullet?!? HUH?!?!"
Old 01-23-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This actually happened to me when I saw a Blu-Ray preview at a local high end store way back last year before HD-DVD was even out.

They were playing it on a nice big Sony LCD/Plasma/Whatever and the demo was a scene from Spider-Man 2. Although the picture was a little grainy for my tastes the difference was great.

A friend of mine who came with me was like, "Whats the big deal? it looks like my DVD."

I got a little over-excited and went off, as if I personally financially backed the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray movement.

Oh well.
Old 01-23-07, 09:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
must have been a really slow news day for columnist Kevin Cowherd
Old 01-23-07, 11:46 AM

I trust you hid the body properly?

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
This actually happened to me when I saw a Blu-Ray preview at a local high end store way back last year before HD-DVD was even out.

They were playing it on a nice big Sony LCD/Plasma/Whatever and the demo was a scene from Spider-Man 2. Although the picture was a little grainy for my tastes the difference was great.

A friend of mine who came with me was like, "Whats the big deal? it looks like my DVD."

I got a little over-excited and went off, as if I personally financially backed the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray movement.

Oh well.
Old 01-23-07, 11:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The only thing funnier than this article are the reactions to it.
Old 01-23-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
The only thing funnier than this article are the reactions to it.
Telling a HD backer that you aren't impressed with HD or that "regular DVD is good enough for me" frequently gets a reaction not unlike the scene in "The Thing" where Kurt Russell is sticking a hot wire into the blood-filled petri dish.
Old 01-23-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

HD/SD comparisons are a daily, never-ending battle with my fiancée.