Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray Says NO to Porn, Tells Them to Publish in HD-DVD

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray Says NO to Porn, Tells Them to Publish in HD-DVD

Old 01-13-07, 09:39 PM
  #76  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Williamstown, NJ
Posts: 658
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so what happens when HDDVD is gone which it will be eventually i think
Old 01-13-07, 09:41 PM
  #77  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,687
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Philly30
so what happens when HDDVD is gone which it will be eventually i think
Wow, you guys sure are coming out of the woodwork today.
Old 01-13-07, 09:43 PM
  #78  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 78,810
Received 801 Likes on 564 Posts
No kidding. As if it's not totally obvious what their agenda is.
Old 01-13-07, 11:12 PM
  #79  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Williamstown, NJ
Posts: 658
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have no agenda ,i would prefer HDDVD wins since it is in my price range
Old 01-14-07, 03:50 AM
  #80  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: gloucester, uk
Posts: 2,154
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deftones


I'm done wasting my time. You are obviously either a Sony fanboy, a BR fanboy, or both. When you decide to listen to common sense get back to me.
Personal attacks are the last resort of those with no argument to make. Please try and come up with some facts to back up your assertions.
Old 01-14-07, 08:01 AM
  #81  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,389
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dismissing offhand anything which is negative for your "cause" DOES make it impossible to have an intelligent conversation. You have been present facts over and over again and since they don't fit into yopur plan of Sony worship, they are meaningless. He's right.

I just don't understand why some have this bizzare personal stake in the success of one format over the other. It is so freaking weird.
Old 01-14-07, 09:29 AM
  #82  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 26,146
Received 1,064 Likes on 695 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
I just don't understand why some have this bizzare personal stake in the success of one format over the other. It is so freaking weird.
I agree.

I've just re-read through every post in the entire thread, and no one in this thread has said anything like "HD DVD is going to be the dominant platform for high-def porn, therefore put another nail in Blu-ray's coffin! Victory!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!" Burnt Thru is responding as if they had. I don't understand why.

It is news that porn companies apppear to be migrating primarily to HD DVD. Is it deeply significant news that could forever change the face of the 'format war'? I don't know. Probably not. Doesn't mean it's not news and is not worth reporting.

This is an enthusiast forum, not the front lines of this ridiculous 'war', and this sort of thing does matter to a lot of us. The porn angle isn't news that directly interests me so much, but I am a fan of Synapse Films, and some of their movies (such as Thriller: A Cruel Picture) have hardcore inserts. Don May, Jr. has confirmed that many Blu-ray facilities won't take any part in replicating titles like that either. The world at large couldn't care less about that, but it's very significant news to me.

Re-reading through the thread, Burnt Thru's posts seem to be one "this isn't a big deal" response after another, and it does reek of trying to minimize the importance of this news to the other 'side' rather than engaging in meaningful discussion. He's attempting to refute an argument that no one's making. If someone started a thread saying that General Mills was planning on a promotion where you mail in cereal box tops and get BD discs of high-def cartoons, I wouldn't respond and say "this really isn't that big a deal". Every thread someone starts shouldn't be run through a "how devastating a blow is this in the format war?" filter. That's ridiculous, that's petty, and that's precisely why I've decided to stop reading AVS. I don't want that on these forums.
Old 01-14-07, 09:38 AM
  #83  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: gloucester, uk
Posts: 2,154
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Dismissing offhand anything which is negative for your "cause" DOES make it impossible to have an intelligent conversation. You have been present facts over and over again and since they don't fit into yopur plan of Sony worship, they are meaningless. He's right.

I just don't understand why some have this bizzare personal stake in the success of one format over the other. It is so freaking weird.
Please point out these "facts". The only one that was presented was a $4billion estimate, which appears to be baseless ("It comes from a pie chart."!).

As to your obsession with Sony, that's a problem only you can deal with. They mean as much and as little to me as any other faceless corporation.
Old 01-14-07, 09:42 AM
  #84  
DVD Talk Legend
 
matome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: NY
Posts: 12,304
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vivid is releasing on Blu-Ray as well, so the porn is coming anyway.
Old 01-14-07, 09:44 AM
  #85  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 78,810
Received 801 Likes on 564 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I agree.

I've just re-read through every post in the entire thread, and no one in this thread has said anything like "HD DVD is going to be the dominant platform for high-def porn, therefore put another nail in Blu-ray's coffin! Victory!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!" Burnt Thru is responding as if they had. I don't understand why.

It is news that porn companies apppear to be migrating primarily to HD DVD. Is it deeply significant news that could forever change the face of the 'format war'? I don't know. Probably not. Doesn't mean it's not news and is not worth reporting.

This is an enthusiast forum, not the front lines of this ridiculous 'war', and this sort of thing does matter to a lot of us. The porn angle isn't news that directly interests me so much, but I am a fan of Synapse Films, and some of their movies (such as Thriller: A Cruel Picture) have hardcore inserts. Don May, Jr. has confirmed that many Blu-ray facilities won't take any part in replicating titles like that either. The world at large couldn't care less about that, but it's very significant news to me.

Re-reading through the thread, Burnt Thru's posts seem to be one "this isn't a big deal" response after another, and it does reek of trying to minimize the importance of this news to the other 'side' rather than engaging in meaningful discussion. He's attempting to refute an argument that no one's making. If someone started a thread saying that General Mills was planning on a promotion where you mail in cereal box tops and get BD discs of high-def cartoons, I wouldn't respond and say "this really isn't that big a deal". Every thread someone starts shouldn't be run through a "how devastating a blow is this in the format war?" filter. That's ridiculous, that's petty, and that's precisely why I've decided to stop reading AVS. I don't want that on these forums.
Well said, sir.
Old 01-14-07, 09:45 AM
  #86  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,914
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
One tiny independant publisher has decided to publish a few low volume titles on one of the formats while continuing to consider publishing on the other.
This made me laugh.
Old 01-14-07, 09:45 AM
  #87  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: gloucester, uk
Posts: 2,154
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I agree.

I've just re-read through every post in the entire thread, and no one in this thread has said anything like "HD DVD is going to be the dominant platform for high-def porn, therefore put another nail in Blu-ray's coffin! Victory!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!"
The 4th post in the thread...

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
Blu-ray just lost!
There are plenty of other posts who seem to think this has altered the format "war" in some significant respect. I disagree. So far few have attempted to explain why they hold their opinion, other than some preconceived idea they may have had. The next tactic appears to be some form of personal attacks. Which are revealing all on their own.

Is having some content on a format a positive? Yes. Is having very low sales content from a few distributors important in a wider perspective? Highly unlikely.
Old 01-14-07, 09:48 AM
  #88  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA
Posts: 3,583
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having a corporation deciding what I can and cannot watch = Bad.

D
Old 01-14-07, 09:49 AM
  #89  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 78,810
Received 801 Likes on 564 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
This made me laugh.
You aren't the only one.
Old 01-14-07, 09:53 AM
  #90  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 26,146
Received 1,064 Likes on 695 Posts
Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
There are plenty of other posts who seem to think this has altered the format "war" in some significant respect.
I missed that one-liner, but I could not characterize that as being even a common sentiment in this thread, let alone the dominant one.

Originally Posted by matome
Vivid is releasing on Blu-Ray as well, so the porn is coming anyway.
Correct. Blu-ray isn't going to be porn-free.

However, it does sound like those interested in high-def porn will have to turn to downloads or HD DVD to get a wide variety. In this CNBC interview with Vivid, Steven Hirsch mentions that they were able to find Blu-ray replication, but it was kind of a battle, and he says that Sony tried to block them.
Old 01-14-07, 10:14 AM
  #91  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
However, it does sound like those interested in high-def porn will have to turn to downloads or HD DVD to get a wide variety. In this CNBC interview with Vivid, Steven Hirsch mentions that they were able to find Blu-ray replication, but it was kind of a battle, and he says that Sony tried to block them.
So why even bother? If BD doesn't want em, fuck em. Go with HD DVD.
Old 01-14-07, 10:36 AM
  #92  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 26,146
Received 1,064 Likes on 695 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
So why even bother?
'Cause there'll be a bunch of people who only have BD-capable players, and they have money too.
Old 01-14-07, 10:54 AM
  #93  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
'Cause there'll be a bunch of people who only have BD-capable players, and they have money too.
Clearly that reasoning is not stopping Fox, Lion's Gate, Disney, Sony or Universal....at the moment.
Old 01-14-07, 12:58 PM
  #94  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Derrich
Having a corporation deciding what I can and cannot watch = Bad.

D
However, if BD became the de facto standard for all HD content on disc, then replication would be so widespread that Sony might not be able to control content in that fashion anymore. After all, Vivid already went around Sony to release on BD.
Old 01-14-07, 03:59 PM
  #95  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,957
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Vivid has been claiming they would release on both for the last year. This could be a simple example of their company not having any clue what is going on with regards to HD optical discs at the time, or, the PR department is still going with what they said over the last year.

Case in Point, look at Meridan's PR announcement about HD-dvd that was not correct. It is hard to believe that we now have multiple adult companies which are releasing on HD-dvd only while Vivid has seemingly found a replicator that doesn't care if Sony can revoke their license,
Old 01-14-07, 09:02 PM
  #96  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 184
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like porn is coming after all to Blu-Ray. Vivid announced Debbie Does Dallas. Here is a link with the video:

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=DC...=&fg=&GT1=8921
Old 01-14-07, 11:00 PM
  #97  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 26,146
Received 1,064 Likes on 695 Posts
Originally Posted by MaNiaC
Looks like porn is coming after all to Blu-Ray. Vivid announced Debbie Does Dallas.
Already posted upthread.
Old 01-15-07, 07:58 AM
  #98  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,389
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BT,
I really shouldn't dignify your remarks with a response, but here's what I think.

You, and several others became absolutely silent when HD DVD came out of nowhere to be successful. Your voice was barely heard UNTIL there was some good things to say about BD.

It is hard to take your opinion on anything seriously.

So now that porn is coming to BD, is it a big deal? Does it matter now? Give me a break.
Old 01-15-07, 11:54 AM
  #99  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY USA
Posts: 4,956
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw Modern Marvels "80's Tech" on the History Channel the other day and they were covering the BetaMax/VHS format wars. They pretty much said the primary reason BetaMax lost was because VHS had porn.... the differrence being that was the first time porn movies were availible at home... now they are readily availible in the home... so it may not be a factor, but you would think SONY would know it was a factor in the past and not make the same mistake twice. I don't think either platform would not allow porn on it.
Old 01-17-07, 12:24 PM
  #100  
Emeritus Reviewer
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,893
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I just got back from Vegas and spoke at length to many regarding high definition porn. I wasn't playing the role of investigative reporter, nor was I in the position to force anyone to tell me any classified secrets but it was clear that the porn industry was largely pushed into the HD DVD format by a combination of economics and Sony's heavy handed tactics.

1) HD DVD is (much) cheaper & easier to master and replicate. Most of the 14,000+ titles released last year sold well under 2000 copies so any major costs associated with releasing a title aren't spread out very much.

2) Sony's (possibly) unlawful pressure tactics aside, porn will be produced for Blu_Ray but it will add additional costs. Few porn companies will pay them until a big enough market exists for the format.

3) Those who tout porn as a big player in this version of the format war might want to consider that even the industry insiders/cheerleaders don't believe this to be the case. Several major players believe that physical disc sales will be "just another" revenue stream within a few years, with VOD and other internet products surpassing all the formats. Some are gearing up now to provide more complete/hardcore versions of titles via the internet with DVD sales simply a means of marketing (like to reviewers). Regular DVD's will be around a long time (VHS tapes are still sold) but expect far fewer choices in either high definition format to be released (further pushing consumers online).

4) Currently, porn DVD sales depend on an established network of distributors and retailers. They cause the biggest headaches for the production companies and a successful means of direct sales like the internet would not only greatly profit the producers, but the consumer to hear them tell it. (I have mixed feelings about the full argument they would make.) If the distributors and retailers were smart, they'd be propping up high definition sales of all sorts (the true high definition files take a long time to download these days but not for long) because internet downloads (mostly the stealing kind) are widely considered to be responsible for sagging sales.

5) Industry sales figures and statistics of all sorts should be taken with a pillar of salt. I befriended some folks at the AEE last week that reiterated that sales of cheaply produced crap is up while expensive titles are down (with limited exceptions). While annecdotal in nature, their comments were supported by company owners that would sell cheaply and production staff that would leave porn in a minute for a stable job. When sources quote DVD revenue in the billions of dollars, they are seemingly (and greatly) exaggerating the number of rentals as a primary source of income (keep in mind that the production companies don't see any of that money; just the $5-10 most titles cost them if they bought them legally).

6) At CES, everyone seemed to be impressed that Blu-Ray was the way to go. I overheard various conversations, ate with a few reporters covering both shows (AEE and CES), and befriended some on a road trip where I mentioned the positive nature of HD DVD coverage at DVD Talk as a counterpoint to their arguments. It is clear that the format war is far from over but format cheerleaders aside, I was left with the impression by the mainstream crowd that Blu-Ray was kicking ass and by the porn crowd that HD DVD is a stop gap measure until the internet finally dominates distribution of porn. I'm getting an HD DVD player myself and feel safe that there will be great content for it for years to come but I can see why sitting on the fence is becoming increasingly popular. If porn helps extend the life of the HD DVD format a little, more power to it.

7) Lastly, for those who think regular DVD porn is good looking or sounding enough (or how horrible the added detail would make the performers look), remember that the same arguments were made when the transition from tape to DVD was being made. It didn't stop the industry from moving forward then and it won't stop it now.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.