Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Combo Format and Total HD discs (HD DVD on one side; Blu-ray on the other)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Combo Format and Total HD discs (HD DVD on one side; Blu-ray on the other)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll be watching Spider Man 3 and Bourne Ultimatum in HD and that is all I really care about anymore.
Old 08-12-07, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the source of the article?
Old 08-12-07, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
isnt this old news? Isnt it called TotalHD or something stupid
Old 08-12-07, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
What's the source of the article?
It's from yahoo.com. It may be old news, I just assumed it would be a disc that could play on both players.
Old 08-12-07, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It's a disc with HD DVD on one side and BD on the other, and it's been pushed back to next year if it even comes out at all. It seems that nobody is in favor of it.
Old 08-12-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How much do these discs cost? $50+ - with the amount you'd be paying for titles at that cost you could just buy both players and continue to just purchase the current titles on both formats.
Old 08-12-07, 12:06 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by True_Story1011
How much do these discs cost? $50+ - with the amount you'd be paying for titles at that cost you could just buy both players and continue to just purchase the current titles on both formats.
MSRP was about that of a Combo HD DVD or "$5 over MSRP" as they said before. Still, alot cheaper then Spider-Man 3 or Close Encounters on Blu-Ray. No way do those need to be $50. Blade Runner 5 disc is not even going to be that much on either format.
Old 08-12-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Consumer are still smarting over VHS vs. Betamax? Really?

Total amateur article.

TotalHD will be a blight on HD just like combos are a blight on HD DVD.
Old 08-12-07, 12:13 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bunkaroo

Total amateur article.

That was over 20 years ago, right?
I couldn't imagine many people would even remember what BetaMax was, nor could they say who the main backer was. I think even something like DVD and Divx is too long ago for the average customer. I'm so glad I talked my dad out of buying Divx. Those CC guys just kept pushing it.
Old 08-12-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't understand why everyone is against this. Please explain it to me.
Old 08-12-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Total amateur article.

+1 bigtime.
Old 08-12-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Some people fear disc rot on combo-sided discs.
Old 08-12-07, 02:48 PM
Suspended

I think most are against it as WB will only sell 1 version of the movie instead of two. We would be spending $30-$40 on a catalog title because it has both BR/HD side, instead of the normal $20. THAT would suck. I'm willing to buy a few catalog titles at $20....but not $35-$40.
Old 08-12-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Patman
Some people fear disc rot on combo-sided discs.
To be more precise, some of us fear that Total HD will have a high defect rate, something that is a problem with some HD DVD/DVD combos now (and has been a problem with DVD-18s — two sided DVDs — for many years).

In addition, Total HD discs are pretty much certain to be more expensive than regular HD DVDs and BDs.

I also prefer artwork on my discs, as opposed to two shiny sides, but that is just a quibble. If WB could eliminate the disc defect problem AND price Total HD the same as regular HD DVDs, I'd accept them. But I don't for a minute believe either of those things will happen.
Old 08-12-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

...But analysts wonder if the moves will anger consumers, just as the studios and consumer-electronics companies are hoping to boost high-def DVD sales as growth in standard DVDs stalls...
This statement is roughly correct.
...The stakes couldn't be higher for Hollywood, which has seen sales of traditional DVDs, once a reliable profit engine, slow to a trickle...
But this statement is utter nonsense. While growth in sales has slowed as the market has become saturated, SD DVD sales remain a major profit center for movie studios.
Old 08-12-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lizard
To be more precise, some of us fear that Total HD will have a high defect rate, something that is a problem with some HD DVD/DVD combos now (and has been a problem with DVD-18s — two sided DVDs — for many years).

In addition, Total HD discs are pretty much certain to be more expensive than regular HD DVDs and BDs.

I also prefer artwork on my discs, as opposed to two shiny sides, but that is just a quibble. If WB could eliminate the disc defect problem AND price Total HD the same as regular HD DVDs, I'd accept them. But I don't for a minute believe either of those things will happen.
Those arguments make sense. I guess for WB it makes little sense as they are starting to release everything on both formats.
Old 08-13-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Those arguments make sense. I guess for WB it makes little sense as they are starting to release everything on both formats.
I gave you my views (and I am not alone in having them) but consider Total HD from WB's perspective:

• They are already releasing almost everything on both formats (subject to BD getting the final specs for interactivity implemented).

• They can advertise "future proof" discs; if one format wins the war, a Total HD disc will still work in the players of the winning side.

• They can sell them for more money and make a higher margin on each disc (as can the retailers). If we, the customers, want the movie, we will have to pay the price.

• The retailers only need to stock one disc, as opposed to both blue and red cases now.

• If they can persuade other studios to sign on, they can collect royalties from Total HD sales.

• If Total HD gained wide acceptance, it would make the format war pretty much irrelevant. Whichever flavor of machine one has, it would work with all Total HD discs.

I think that WB may be in for a surprise at the expense, in dollars and to their reputation, if they have to replace a significant number of defective Total HD discs. And I think that they may find some market resistance to the higher prices of Total HD.

We shall see. I would prefer that Total HD just die a quiet death.

Last edited by lizard; 08-13-07 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-14-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
If WB truly believes stuff like the above points, it just goes to show how out of touch their marketing teams are with their customer base. I'm willing to concede some people may want these (as they want HD/DVD combos), but I think majority of HD DVD and Blu-Ray owners would certainly be against them. They are probably asking non-HD owners leading questions to get the answers they want to backup this ridiculous proposal.

The real motivation by WB is probably the licensing fee they would presumably get from other studios.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 08-14-07 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-14-07, 06:50 PM
Suspended

If WB truly believes stuff like the above points, it just goes to show how out of touch their marketing teams are with their customer base. I'm willing to concede some people may want these (as they want HD/DVD combos), but I think majority of HD DVD and Blu-Ray owners would certainly be against them. They are probably asking non-HD owners leading questions to get the answers they want to backup this ridiculous proposal.

The real motivation by WB is probably the licensing fee they would presumably get from other studios.
Warner has royalties for HD-DVD itself. Every HD-DVD Disc sold, they get a piece. That is why they are desperate for hd-dvd to chug along, and with the TotalHD Discs with HD DVD/BD on the same disc, they keep making profit per disc sold from royalties AND sales combined. If BD wins outright, they just make profits from the disc sales and not the royalties from hd-dvd. That is why they are doing everything possible to keep hd-dvd afloat, including trying to force consumers into TotalHD Discs, trying to get other studios to join in with them as neutral (except for Universal, funny how that is!), and still leaving ~20 HD titles not on BD yet but still on HD DVD. Its a sad state of affairs, but this is what it is.
Old 08-15-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Big bad Warner. So mean to Sony.
Old 08-15-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by QuePaso
Warner has royalties for HD-DVD itself. Every HD-DVD Disc sold, they get a piece.
Really? If true, that's news to me. Do you have a source for that claim?
That is why they are desperate for hd-dvd to chug along, and with the TotalHD Discs with HD DVD/BD on the same disc, they keep making profit per disc sold from royalties AND sales combined. If BD wins outright, they just make profits from the disc sales and not the royalties from hd-dvd. That is why they are doing everything possible to keep hd-dvd afloat, including trying to force consumers into TotalHD Discs, trying to get other studios to join in with them as neutral (except for Universal, funny how that is!), and still leaving ~20 HD titles not on BD yet but still on HD DVD...
Oh come now. You know perfectly well that the reason for a delay of some WB titles on BD (The Matrix, Batman Begins, for example) is because BD still hasn't implemented the algorithms necessary for interactivity features. Sheesh.
Old 08-15-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Really? If true, that's news to me. Do you have a source for that claim?
I can try to dig up a link, but the idea is that Warner holds DVD patents, and HD DVD, being an update of the DVD process, keeps that revenue stream flowing for them.
Old 08-15-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I can try to dig up a link, but the idea is that Warner holds DVD patents, and HD DVD, being an update of the DVD process, keeps that revenue stream flowing for them.
Of course it should be noted that Sony also has patents in the DVD pool.
Old 08-15-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Warner Bros. is issuing non-combo versions of select titles on 10/2. Priced at $34.99 SRP: The Ant Bully, The Departed, The Fountain, Happy Feet, Lady in the Water, The Lake House, Letters from Iwo Jima, Rumor Has It and Superman Returns. Titles priced at $28.99 SRP are: Good Night, and Good Luck and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=65599
Old 08-16-07, 05:08 AM
Suspended

Oh come now. You know perfectly well that the reason for a delay of some WB titles on BD (The Matrix, Batman Begins, for example) is because BD still hasn't implemented the algorithms necessary for interactivity features. Sheesh.
Theres titles like Casablanca, Grand Prix, Robin Hood and a lot more with no IME what so ever. They are still not out. And interactivity doesnt mean squat for sales, look at 300, which has the Blu-Ray outselling the hd-dvd by a over 2:1 margin now. Warner is delaying them to benefit HD DVD, there is no other reason since they know that IME makes no difference in sales.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.