Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Official CES HD/BD News & Discussion Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Official CES HD/BD News & Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Best Buy convinced him to buy a Protection Plan for his disc.

Nah, I'm thinking he spent $100 on various items, only one of which was an HD DVD. His point was that he would have bought more titles with that $100 if there were more that he wanted.
Old 01-05-07, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xbox Live Marketplace sales numbers will be revealed next week at CES, according to the site I work for.
Old 01-05-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LG to debut dual format Blu-ray & HD DVD player at CES

Link
LG's on again / off again combo HD DVD + Blu-ray player is -- at least for this week -- on again. To recap: After showing the BD199 Blu-ray player at last year's CES, the company abruptly shelved it and promised a combo player to end the high definition format war. Then this fall the company backed off those plans, reaffirmed its status in the Blu-ray camp and even showed off the BD100 Blu-ray player in London as recently as November. Now LG promises that not only is the dual format player coming, we'll be able to see it next week at CES. No word on if it contains any of the hybrid hardware we've heard so much about in recent months, but the company has promised details on pricing and availability in Las Vegas. With neither format projected to make a large dent in declining DVD sales this year, perhaps an end to the format war is just what they need to get things rolling... or cause more confusion and hesitation amongst potential customers.

A Blu-ray writer and HD DVD reader for the PC

LG's Super Multi Blue GGW-H10N
LG is all over the dual-format optical game this next week. In addition to the HD DVD + Blu-ray combo player they just announced, they also touting a new Super Multi Blue dual-format drive for PCs. Not only will the GGW-H10N playback your Blu-ray Disc, DVD, CD, and HD DVD media, it'll also record -- yes record -- up to 50GB of data to dual-layer BD-R/BD-RE media. You also get 4x recording to 25GB single-layer BD-R discs -- doubling the industry's standard rate. The drive is also the first to support "SecurDisc" technology co-developed with Nero. That gives you the ability to secure your burns with password encryption, digital signature, checksum integrity checker for sharing data securely and with peace of mind. Expect the new drive to ship before March in the US for about $1,200 -- a worthwhile, convenience premium when compared to purchasing a $760 dual-layer Blu-ray burner and $199 Xbox 360 HD DVD drive (and all appropriately applied magic) separately. No pictures yet (that's their older, Blu-ray burner pictured) but will slap one up as soon LG sees fit to release them.

I know some of this info was posted before, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it here to, since this is the "offical" CES news thread
Old 01-05-07, 09:56 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone mentioned Warner's new hybrid discs yet?

http://www.videobusiness.com/article....html?nid=2705
Old 01-05-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Anyone mentioned Warner's new hybrid discs yet?
Yup.
Old 01-05-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I also figure an announcement of a Toshiba HDDVD read/write drive. Afterall, isn't the recordable medium already available?
Old 01-05-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would also like to hear when the 2.1 firmware update for the A1 will be released.
Old 01-05-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

One other thing I almost forgot...
Since the Toshiba HDXA2 has HDMI 1.3 I would also hope to hear an announcement regarding A/V receivers and HDTVs equipped with HDMI 1.3 as well.
Old 01-05-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Centurion
One other thing I almost forgot...
Since the Toshiba HDXA2 has HDMI 1.3 I would also hope to hear an announcement regarding A/V receivers and HDTVs equipped with HDMI 1.3 as well.
In order to FULLY utilize 1.3, you would need:

A 1.3 video device
A 1.3 receiver
A 1.3 display device

And discs and players capable of Deep Color.

That's a tough and expensive get.
Old 01-05-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
In order to FULLY utilize 1.3, you would need:

A 1.3 video device
A 1.3 receiver
A 1.3 display device

And discs and players capable of Deep Color.

That's a tough and expensive get.
HDMI 1.3 is a charade. Deep Color is not supported in either the HD DVD or Blu-ray formats. What's more, you also won't be able to transmit the advanced audio formats' raw bitstreams to an AV receiver unless the disc is mastered in "Basic" format, which no HD DVDs are. Discs authored in "Advanced" format require decoding by the player, and once the player decodes the bitstream to PCM it can be output over regular HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 just fine (which is exactly how it works right now).

HDMI 1.3 might be useful for some future video format down the road, but with HD DVD and Blu-ray it gains us precisely nothing.
Old 01-05-07, 12:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Interesting. I did not know that about the audio.
Old 01-05-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
HDMI 1.3 is a charade. Deep Color is not supported in either the HD DVD or Blu-ray formats. What's more, you also won't be able to transmit the advanced audio formats' raw bitstreams to an AV receiver unless the disc is mastered in "Basic" format, which no HD DVDs are. Discs authored in "Advanced" format require decoding by the player, and once the player decodes the bitstream to PCM it can be output over regular HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 just fine (which is exactly how it works right now).

HDMI 1.3 might be useful for some future video format down the road, but with HD DVD and Blu-ray it gains us precisely nothing.
I could not agree with you more Z. Which is why I'm looking to get the 674 (although I wish it had one more HDMI input). What am I hoping for is that the release of the 1.3 receivers make the 674 go down in price.
Old 01-05-07, 12:57 PM

Hi Josh, not to contradict, but even the slightest change to any color/contrast settings will change the individual values of each pixel on being sent from the player.

As such, being able to change those values by the smaller increments in 12 bit (36 bit), versus 8 bit (24 bit), will mean there is an immediate payoff from having a 36 bit colorspace in the player - even if the source material is still only 8 bits.

I think so many people are missing the significance of this. Being able to make these more accurate changes is exactly how one can avoid banding, etc.

I wish some other people out there could understand this better...
Old 01-05-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

This is good info-thanks.

So the question I have, as an owner of a relatively new non-HDMI receiver, how much better off, if at all, would I be with HDMI for audio vs. analog 5.1 from the A1 for instance? I have the Onkyo 801 receiver which I got in April 2005, and it's been excellent, and it handles the 5.1 input very well. I'd actually be more interested in using HDMI audio from my BDP-S1 sooner, as the current audio settings don't seem to allow much tweaking of the 5.1 analog output, and I am not too crazy about they way they sound. I've been using optical from the BD player at the moment.
Old 01-05-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
So the question I have, as an owner of a relatively new non-HDMI receiver, how much better off, if at all, would I be with HDMI for audio vs. analog 5.1 from the A1 for instance? I have the Onkyo 801 receiver which I got in April 2005, and it's been excellent, and it handles the 5.1 input very well. I'd actually be more interested in using HDMI audio from my BDP-S1 sooner, as the current audio settings don't seem to allow much tweaking of the 5.1 analog output, and I am not too crazy about they way they sound. I've been using optical from the BD player at the moment.
Most answers you receive to this question are going to be subjective, but for my money, HDMI wins on all counts for audio connections to your receiver. First, there is only one cable from each player to the receiver. And second, when dealing with digital to analog conversion, the longer the signal stays in the digital domain, the less chance there is for even minor degradation of the signal.
Old 01-05-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
This is good info-thanks.

Audio is fine through the analog 5.1, the biggest thing you miss out on IMO by not using HDMI is the most-excellent A1 upscaling of SDs.
Old 01-05-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hammer99
Audio is fine through the analog 5.1, the biggest thing you miss out on IMO by not using HDMI is the most-excellent A1 upscaling of SDs.
Having a non-HDMI receiver doesn't prevent you from using the video upscaling feature of the A1. A non-HDMI television would, but that's not the subject of the question.
Old 01-05-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Having a non-HDMI receiver doesn't prevent you from using the video upscaling feature of the A1. A non-HDMI television would, but that's not the subject of the question.
True...that's what I get for not reading the whole thread DOH!
Old 01-06-07, 12:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Centurion
I also figure an announcement of a Toshiba HDDVD read/write drive. Afterall, isn't the recordable medium already available?
yup.

TOKYO, January 4 /CNW/ - Toshiba today brought the wide ranging
capabilities of HD DVD to the desktop PC with the announcement of a standard height HD DVD drive able to read and write to HD DVD and to standard DVD and CD discs. Sample shipments of the new drive, SD-H903A, are scheduled to start this month.

The new drive takes full advantage of the shared physical structure of HD
DVD discs and standard DVD discs, which allows it to read and write to HD
DVD-R discs, to read the diverse line-up of discs in the HD DVD-ROM disc
family, including twin format disc and combination discs, and to read and
write to standard DVD and CD discs, using an optical pick-up head with only a
single objective lens.

The new drive is also fully compliant with the EU's RoHS directive, which
came into force in July 2006.
Problem? it's only 1x speed.

Old 01-06-07, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammer99
I've actually found upconverison to look nicer from my Oppo on my setup. Also, until they fix the BTB clipping I'll keep using the component outputs.
Old 01-06-07, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Samsung is set to show their 2nd Gen Blu-Ray player at CES. Like we didn't see that coming.
Old 01-06-07, 03:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Samsung is set to show their 2nd Gen Blu-Ray player at CES. Like we didn't see that coming.
Yes. and it's $800. Woo Hoo. *twirls finger*
Old 01-06-07, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
It wasn't.

Fantasticvsdoom doesn't understand the concept of price-matching at Best Buy. I reprimand him for it all the time.
No its because Im not going to argue with them at best buy like someone else I know

No I didnt just get Dune...I also got a rechargeable battery system and a game for my 360 . I WANTED to buy some movies, but of course there was only one that I would get (sorry, as much rave reviews that the Hulk gets for quality, I just would never watch that movie again).
Old 01-06-07, 09:35 AM
Banned

Gonna post this in two places: FROM AVS:

NEWLINE TITLES FOR HD-DVD:

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
Blade
Blade Runner
Dark City
Friday
Rush Hour
Se7en
Spawn
The Mask
The Player

We should be getting dates for those tomorrow. They originally mentioned The Lord of the Rings as well, but then we heard 2008 from PJ, due to likely his law suit and him not wanting to play along. Heck, Sam Raimi's The Hobbit could come out on NextGen before LotR with the fit PJ is having.
Old 01-06-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Yes. and it's $800. Woo Hoo. *twirls finger*
...although that makes it by a fair margin the lowest price point for a standalone Blu-ray player out of the gate. Sony may be announcing a budget-ish player if the rumors are true, but I wouldn't expect the going price for a deck to plummet from $1K in the first gen to $400 across the board.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.