Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Breakfast Club PQ?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Breakfast Club PQ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Breakfast Club PQ?

Hello yall, new member here (but been browsing DVDTalk for awhile).

Anyways, I was just wondering for anyone who picked up 'TBC' on HD DVD... how is the quality? Especially compared to the standard DVD "High School Reunuin Collection" edition? Would it be worth picking up?

I got the Clerks 2 DVD for Christmas from my sister (and it's the fullscreen version of all things) which I will be returning to Best Buy to get the HD DVD version when it comes out in January. Since I now don't have to buy that (I was saving money for that and the Brokeback Mountain HD DVD), I'll probally get a different HD DVD instead (and I'm considering The Breakfast Club among others).

Thanks for any help, and sorry for this overly-explained post. :-P
Old 12-26-06, 07:31 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Popler
Hello yall, new member here (but been browsing DVDTalk for awhile).

Anyways, I was just wondering for anyone who picked up 'TBC' on HD DVD... how is the quality? Especially compared to the standard DVD "High School Reunuin Collection" edition? Would it be worth picking up?

I got the Clerks 2 DVD for Christmas from my sister (and it's the fullscreen version of all things) which I will be returning to Best Buy to get the HD DVD version when it comes out in January. Since I now don't have to buy that (I was saving money for that and the Brokeback Mountain HD DVD), I'll probally get a different HD DVD instead (and I'm considering The Breakfast Club among others).

Thanks for any help, and sorry for this overly-explained post. :-P
Haven't heard about the video quality yet, but there's still no real extras if that matters to you. From what I have audio-wise read, it's pretty much a port.
Old 12-26-06, 10:06 PM

-- Just read a review of it here: http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/

They had this to say about the picture . . .

'The Breakfast Club' has been making the rounds on various cable networks lately, and hit standard-def DVD in a remastered version a few years back. So this new HD DVD/DVD combo does not offer any surprises. No big restoration here -- just a perfectly fine, perfectly watchable transfer.

Presented in 1.85:1 widescreen and 1080p/VC-1 video (on a HD-15 single-layer disc), the source material is a bit soft and dour. Granted, 'The Breakfast Club' was never a visually stylish film, and like most of John Hughes' directorial efforts it borders on looking like a television movie. The print can be unusually grainy, especially during the opening credits. Some dirt is noticeable, and sharpness is middling. Overall depth and detail is fine for a 1985 catalog title, but still below what I've seen in remasters of other material of the same vintage. The main upgrade here is in purity and strength of color. The blue neon accents of the library where the kids spend the majority of the film has a nice, rich glow, and from the deep green of lockers aligning the school's hallways to Molly Ringwald's red lips, hues are a bit punchier than standard-def. Unfortunately, they look a bit fuzzy too, though again, so is the rest of the transfer. As far as HD DVD goes, this one is average at best.

I gotta admit though - I don't think their review is gonna stop me. I'll probably snag this when I see it around.
Old 12-27-06, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was going to buy this thinking I didnt have it yet, but I forgot all about my brat pack collection set I got last year...Damn I really need to start keeping up . My wife just rolled her eyes at me when I told her.
Old 12-27-06, 12:16 PM

Average picture quality and no new special features... well, I guess I'll probally get Casablanca instead.
Old 12-27-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Average picture quality and no new special features... well, I guess I'll probally get Casablanca instead.
Given those two choices, I'd go with Casablanca as well.

I'm about halfway through The Breakfast Club now and I'm pretty much in agreement with the linked review.

Clarity is better (although not amazing) and colors are definitely stronger than the standard def version. It's a noticable difference, but not an amazing "blow you away" difference. "Average" is probably a good way to describe it -- worth the upgrade if you love the film but nothing to rush out and buy immediately.
Old 12-27-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This would be worth picking up just for being able to avoid the forced previews on the DVD (if you miss hitting STOP during the FBI screen).
Old 12-27-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
You were seriously debating between The Breakfast Club and Casablanca?

Old 12-27-06, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
You were seriously debating between The Breakfast Club and Casablanca?

Between those two and several others. Casablanca's been at the top of my list for awhile, but I'd have to order it as the closest Best Buy doesn't seem to carry it... and every time I order online I get burned somehow. I was sort of holding out until maybe they got it in...