Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Toshiba HD-A1 $399.99 at Best Buy

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 12-11-06, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I'd let anyone know who's on the edge of making the HD-DVD plunge. I was in Best Buy after work today and they had the HD-A1 for $399.99.
I'm guessing this is because they also had the HD-A2 at the store.

I really tempted to pick one up and this may be my xmas present to myself this year
Old 12-11-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I bought the last new one at a local BB at that price on 12/2. Most IL stores in the Chicago-area were showing out of stock or only 1 in stock (presumably the floor model) last weekend.

Bought it the same day I bought my Sony BDP-S1.
Old 12-13-06, 09:45 AM

Well, I took the plunge yesterday and picked up the hd-a1 and actually got it for $350.00 at Best Buy.
So far I'm very impressed. The picture is beautiful on my Samsung LCD, just as good as I was expecting.
My biggest surprise was the sound. I hooked it up using the analog outputs and was instantly blown away by the sound compared to my other DVD player.
I didn't get a chance to look at what a sd-dvd will look like with upconversion, but plan on doing that tonight.
Old 12-13-06, 09:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tt_ksu
Well, I took the plunge yesterday and picked up the hd-a1 and actually got it for $350.00 at Best Buy.
So far I'm very impressed. The picture is beautiful on my Samsung LCD, just as good as I was expecting.
My biggest surprise was the sound. I hooked it up using the analog outputs and was instantly blown away by the sound compared to my other DVD player.
I didn't get a chance to look at what a sd-dvd will look like with upconversion, but plan on doing that tonight.
Congrats!
Old 12-13-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
If you are considering the A1 at $400, you should really consider the A2 with two free movies at Value Electronics. See AVS for more details.
Old 12-13-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
If you are considering the A1 at $400, you should really consider the A2 with two free movies at Value Electronics. See AVS for more details.
That woudl be a great deal, except that I needed the 5.1 outputs form the player since I don't have an HDMI receiver. However for those who have an HDMI receiver or don't mind using bitstream over coax/optical, the VE deal is quite good.
Old 12-13-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
That woudl be a great deal, except that I needed the 5.1 outputs form the player since I don't have an HDMI receiver. However for those who have an HDMI receiver or don't mind using bitstream over coax/optical, the VE deal is quite good.
Quite true.
Old 12-14-06, 08:18 PM
Cool New Member

Just hold out a bit. I think we'll see A1's sub-$300 in the very near future.

It's a shame Toshiba removed the 5.1 analog outs on the A2. Otherwise it is a superb player and a nice upgrade from the A1 overall.