Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Please recommend me an HDTV

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Well it happened sooner than I though. My old 32" JVC is finally going kaput. I was watching Tango just a few hours ago and suddenly realized that my whole screen just went yellow. Nothing I do fixes this in any way so the TV is definitely dead.

So could you fine people recommend me a reasonably priced HDTV around the 52" inch range. I'm not too big on LCD but have seen one or two that don't bug me that much. I prefer the look of Plasma but the whole burn-in thing has me leary which is why I tend to lean toward DLP (it helps that I rarely notice RBE).

Currently I find myself enamoured with the Mitsubishi WD-73732 (http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/j/i/183...s.html?cid=387) since I not only like how it looks but it also addresses issues I had with the 31 models (unremovable edge enhancement, the HDMI calibration being erased whenever I turned off the HD DVD player, etc.). It also doesn't hurt that I can get it at around $3000+ thanks to my employee discount.

But I'm not completely married to the notion of having that set. It's way bigger than what I envision in my living room (52" would be more reasonable, although I'm not opposed to a larger size set) and if I can save even more on a set that might look just as good, I won't pass up the opportunity. I've seen some Samsung sets I really like but none I have seen at work are anything more than 768p. Sure they look great but, if I can manage, I'd prefer a set that can also handle and output 1080p.

So, any recommendations? Please, I'd appreciate the help.
Old 11-30-06, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone at all? Or should I have posted this in the Hardware forum? If so, I appologise for my mistake and I will gladly delete this thread and post it anew over there.
Old 11-30-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My highest recommendation is the Sony SXRD 50" 1080p. It's my new TV and I think it's outstanding. It's around $2100 at Amazon or if you wanted to wait you could usually find it on sale at BB or CC for $2200-$2300. I've never seen such a clear picture on any TV I've ever seen, and if you wanted it larger it also comes in 55" and 60". I'd do a little research on it to make sure it's got everything you need, but I couldn't possibly be any happier with mine.
Old 11-30-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks, bravesmg. We have an SXRD at work but I've been so enamoured with the aformentioned Mits that I've totally neglected it. I may take a closer look.
Old 11-30-06, 09:08 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So could you fine people recommend me a reasonably priced HDTV around the 52" inch range. I'm not too big on LCD but have seen one or two that don't bug me that much. I prefer the look of Plasma but the whole burn-in thing has me leary which is why I tend to lean toward DLP (it helps that I rarely notice RBE).
Have you seen the Samsung HL-S5687W? It's a well reviewed 1080p capable 56" set that you can get for about $2000 from a reputable online vendor.
Old 11-30-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I have and it's a great looking set. But I find the build quality rather flimsy (the whole case is rather wobbly to the touch and the screen seems a little too loose as well). I know once I place it where I want it to be, I won't be moving it around but I'm leary of paying for something that seems so fragile.
Old 11-30-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bravesmg
My highest recommendation is the Sony SXRD 50" 1080p. It's my new TV and I think it's outstanding. It's around $2100 at Amazon or if you wanted to wait you could usually find it on sale at BB or CC for $2200-$2300. I've never seen such a clear picture on any TV I've ever seen, and if you wanted it larger it also comes in 55" and 60". I'd do a little research on it to make sure it's got everything you need, but I couldn't possibly be any happier with mine.
I'll second this. My neighbor just got a 70 inch SXRD and it's very impressive. Even down to such details as hardly any reflections from windows on the screen.
Old 11-30-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lizard
I'll second this. My neighbor just got a 70 inch SXRD and it's very impressive. Even down to such details as hardly any reflections from windows on the screen.
That's a very good point that I usually overlook. My wife sits in her chair on a pretty extreme angle in the living room, probably only a foot or two diagonal from being just about parallel to the TV. She could hardly see anything on my old 42" Toshiba and she says she can see the screen perfectly from her angle on the SXRD.

I'm sure I'm biased because I own it, but I've never seen any other comparable TV able to replicate the clarity and detail of the picture. I'm putting some money away to get it professionally calibrated as well, I can't imagine it could make a drastic difference, but even at the possibility of a great improvement I'll give it a shot.
Old 12-01-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the smallest SXRD Sony makes?
Old 12-01-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dead
Have you seen the Samsung HL-S5687W? It's a well reviewed 1080p capable 56" set that you can get for about $2000 from a reputable online vendor.
I have this set and it is awesome! HD-DVD looks unreal on it so I would highly recommend it.
Old 12-01-06, 01:19 PM

ROC - I don't want to hijack the thread, so if you want i will delete the post... but I too am looking to buy an hdtv within the next 6 months, but am more in the price range of $500-1000. Also, is the book 'HDTV for dummies' a good place to go for info, or is it out of date by now? Thanks.
Old 12-01-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
What's the smallest SXRD Sony makes?
Just glancing at Best Buy's website, I saw 50" as the smallest. My next tv purchase will be another Sony. Even in store setups like Circuit City, they look very good.
Old 12-02-06, 04:44 AM

so why do you guys recommend DLP tv's?
Old 12-02-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ While I am not sure about the Samsung HL-S5687W Dead mentioned, the Sony SXRD is their version of LCD rear projection. It is not DLP.
Old 12-02-06, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's another couple votes:

We've got that 50" SXRD Sony too, and it's SIMPLY FABLOUS!!!

&

(The best way to see if you'll like it is to try it! Heck! You've got a 30 day 'test drive' return window! Buy it from a B&M store, and take it for a spin! )

-Paul

Last edited by The Edit King; 12-02-06 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-02-06, 06:09 PM
AOD

If I may add my thumbs up to JVC's D-ILA's. They come as small as 52" and go as big as 70", in FULL 1080p (in/out) trim. If you want to talk about bang for the buck, the buck stops here. I just got my HD-70FH97 and it is by far the most beautiful (picture) set I have ever owned. Yes I have had a DLP in the past (Sammy), but the RBE killed that option for me. Don't be fooled in the store. I didn't REALLY notice it until I got it home. Especially white text on black background in near unwatchable and made me "sea sick". I like the LCD's also, but the blacks look "grey" along with the screen door effect booted that option too. That left LCoS as the only viable option for me and I couldn't be happier. The Sony 60" and 70" XBR2's were attractive, but paying for that Sony name would have left a HUGE pit in my wallet for essentially the same picture quality as the JVC's HD-ILA's. Yes, I realize people will have their favorites, and that is why I am pitching mine for your option. If you are looking for around the 50ish inch range, the HD-56FH97 would fit your bill nicely (H-31 1/8, W-50 7/8, D-17 11/16) with a small footprint. The picture quality is second to none (full 1080p) and doesn't cost as much as the Sony's. But, if you want to fully step it up, you could get the flagship HD-70FH97 model. You won't regret it. Of course, all of this is just my 2 cents (as is everyone else's) and only your eyes need can be trusted to open your wallet. Keep in mind, if you go to a B&M to look at sets, more than likely their signal is being split a 100 plus ways with no calibration of most whatsoever. Don't SOLELY use that as a judgment. Happy hunting.

PS: In case you were wondering, the only difference between the FH and FN models is the FH has a RS232 input and gold plated connections. So don't sweat it if you can only find the FN models.

Last edited by AOD; 12-02-06 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-02-06, 06:22 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

The sony SXRD is not LCD its LCoS

LCoS seems to have the most advantages, and least disadvantages out there right now in RP TVs
Old 12-02-06, 08:38 PM

looking at amazon, the sony SXRD doesn't get very good reviews. then again there appears to be two of them listed. which ones do you guys recommend? one of them people were complaining about burn in.
Old 12-02-06, 09:04 PM
AOD

Then obviously the people reviewing them don't have a clue or own one because the Sony and JVC LCoS tv's are not succeptable to burn in whatsoever.
Old 12-02-06, 10:28 PM

hehe, interesting so i take it lcos is pretty new cuz i haven't heard of it. im looking into a 50" tv, and didn't even know about this lcos. what are the pros and cons to it? thanks!
Old 12-02-06, 11:00 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

The XBR1 is the older sony LCoS and may have had some tech. issues which they resolved after the first batch. The XBR2 is the latest and greatest and has been getting great reviews in home theater magazines across the board. The SXRD (I forget which model number-A2000?) has an older processor but still gets great reviews, it has fewer inputs and is cheper than the XBR2 and it comes in several sizes. The XBR2 I think comes with an HD Tuner and is only available in 70" and 60" sizes.
Old 12-03-06, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jigga6286
ROC - I don't want to hijack the thread, so if you want i will delete the post... but I too am looking to buy an hdtv within the next 6 months, but am more in the price range of $500-1000. Also, is the book 'HDTV for dummies' a good place to go for info, or is it out of date by now? Thanks.
Don't worry. If your query generates more opinions, all the better.
Old 12-03-06, 09:59 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Im not sure if a book will have info as fresh as you'd find online. Not from one single source of course but doing homework you can get a good idea.
Old 12-03-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
The sony SXRD is not LCD its LCoS

LCoS seems to have the most advantages, and least disadvantages out there right now in RP TVs
You're right. I meant to say that it was liquid crystal based, as opposed to DLP.

For those who care about such things:

Liquid Crystal Displays (LCD) transmit light through the liquid crystals. While LCD is commonly seen in flat panel displays, it has also been used for Rear Projection displays.

Liquid Crystal on Silicon (LCoS) displays reflect light off the liquid crystals, which are on a chip. Sony named their version of this "Silicon X-tal (Crystal) Reflective Display" (SXRD).

More technical details about the SXRD chip:
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Pr...00302/03-008E/

RPTVs using these chips use three, one for each color.

Last edited by lizard; 12-03-06 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-27-06, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I finally bought an HDTV. Funny enough, for a guy who adores DLP and prefers Plasma over LCD, I ended up buying a Sharp AQUOS LC-52D62U. I love this set. Now I just gotta buy me an HD DVD player and an XBox 360.

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-27-06 at 07:13 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.