DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   PQ/AQ vs Extras (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/484323-pq-aq-vs-extras.html)

joshd2012 11-22-06 07:58 AM

PQ/AQ vs Extras

I know what you're thinking, and 'Both' is not an option. If you were forced (as you usually are) to select a release which had the very best picture and audio quality with little to no extras (read: a commentary track and one featurette) or sacrifice PQ, AQ, or both for inclusion of all the extras available for that title, which one would you select?

spainlinx0 11-22-06 08:22 AM

http://www.starwars.com/databank/cha...g/movie_bg.jpg

Rusty James 11-22-06 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by joshd2012
I know what you're thinking, and 'Both' is not an option. If you were forced (as you usually are) to select a release which had the very best picture and audio quality with little to no extras (read: a commentary track and one featurette) or sacrifice PQ, AQ, or both for inclusion of all the extras available for that title, which one would you select?

The whole *point* of next-gen software should be to provide top-notch PQ/AQ along with truckloads of any and all available extras. Otherwise what's the point of 25/30/50 GB of storage?

Adam Tyner 11-22-06 08:37 AM

If you were forced (as you usually are) to select a release which had the very best picture and audio quality with little to no extras (read: a commentary track and one featurette) or sacrifice PQ, AQ, or both for inclusion of all the extras available for that title, which one would you select?

I would pick video and audio quality -- I don't know why anyone on a home theater enthusiast board wouldn't pick that -- but there's also no reason whatsoever why you can't have both.

If the standard definition DVD has extras that the high-def equivalent doesn't or can't accomodate, the only reasons why are incompetence, laziness, or greed.

joshd2012 11-22-06 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rusty James
The whole *point* of next-gen software should be to provide top-notch PQ/AQ along with truckloads of any and all available extras. Otherwise what's the point of 25/30/50 GB of storage?

Unfortunately, we have seen this rarely delivered. One day I'm sure this will be the norm, but right now that is not the case.

digitalfreaknyc 11-22-06 08:47 AM

Unfortunately, we have seen this rarely delivered. One day I'm sure this will be the norm, but right now that is not the case.

That's only because you don't own HD DVD.

joshd2012 11-22-06 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
That's only because you don't own HD DVD.

Exactly how many of 100+ titles on HD DVD have uncompressed/lossless audio?

digitalfreaknyc 11-22-06 08:53 AM

Exactly how many of 100+ titles on HD DVD have uncompressed/lossless audio?

Probably the same number of BD titles that have decent or better PQ. A shame how much space the uncompressed audio is taking up and the effect it has on PQ.

How about we start another poll: who would rather sacrifice PQ for AQ? Cause that's what can happen with BD.

Adam Tyner 11-22-06 08:55 AM

Oh, for crying out loud...

The HD DVD vs. Blu-ray thread was closed for a reason.

namja 11-22-06 10:06 AM

MOD NOTE (and I understand that this thread is already closed):

Looking at just those 3 criteria, the average Joe will care most about PQ then AQ then extras. But what people care above all else is the content of the movie. Most people will not buy a movie no matter how good the PQ/AQ/extras if they didn't like the movie. All 3 are trivial matters when it comes to overall sales figures. If any popular movie were released in HD with average PQ/AQ (average for HD) and no extras whatsoever, it will still become an instant hit. The best selling discs are what they are because of the title of the movie, and they will have almost nothing to do with the technical merits. I'm sure you're all aware of this, but I'm just throwing this out there as a reminder.

Now, then, why do we even discuss extras when hardly anyone (looking at the population as a whole, not just movie buffs) watches the extras or are even aware that there are extras in the discs? Why do we even discuss AQ when almost everyone still watches movies with audio coming from the TV speakers only (no separate audio system)? Why do we discuss PQ when very few calibrate their HDTVs and even fewer can tell the difference?

Because we have higher standards. We want the best movie experience possible. And we should. That's why we visit these forums and participate in these discussions. So LET'S QUIT BICKERING about which is more important and which doesn't matter as much. It's getting really old/tiring. You guys are both right. The general public doesn't care about extras. But we're not GP by any means (if you know what 1080p means, then you're considered highly technical). Most of us want the extras.

I take it a step further. I want all the extras in HD, to a point where unless the SD extras are really good (in my experience, I'd say only about 33% of all extras are worth watching), I don't care much whether they're included or not.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums