Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Amazon's 10% off for a year on HD-DVDs deal worth it?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Since I just bought the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player, I'm going to start picking up movies. I've never seen the advertised prices for new flicks from the usual sources (BB, CC, Target, Walmart). Amazon.com's prices seem to be in line or better. That, plus the extra 10% for a year seems to be like too good to pass up.
Old 11-12-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
I'd go for it, without question. Amazon's HD DVDs have been the cheapest by quite a bit for just about every title I've purchased.
Old 11-12-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
I've never seen the advertised prices for new flicks from the usual sources (BB, CC, Target, Walmart).
That's because they don't advertise them. We don't really know why that is, but some have suggested that they're getting paid from the BDA to advertise BD.

Buying them on Amazon is definitely worth it. They usually have the cheapest prices, even before the 10% off (except for sales like that great Google Checkout deal, but even then many titles worked out to be only a couple of dollars cheaper after the 10% off). Although Target's prices are the same for some titles, remember that you have to pay sales tax. Shipping is free if you spend $25, so get two at a time if they cost less than that. It's especially good for new release combos. Stores are not discounting them much, charging $35-38, while they can be had for Amazon for $28. Throw in the discount and they're close to $25.

There are some caveats though. Some people have reported problems with shipping on time for pre-orders. We don't know what the problem is, but they may be taking more orders than they can fulfill, so some people are having to wait a week or more for their orders to ship. Also, new titles don't get the 10% discount active when they first go up for pre-order. You may want to just stick to titles that are in stock, at least until they get their problem sorted out.

So, if you can still get the discount, go for it, and welcome to the club.
Old 11-12-06, 04:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you have Amazon Prime it's doubly worth it, I might add.
Old 11-12-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't have Amazon Prime, unfortunately. And, for preorders, I really don't care about getting stuff on the day it comes out.
Old 11-12-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have to order THREE at once to get the 10% off....or can I order 2 now, then 1 later....
Old 11-12-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time around, it's 3 at once.
Old 11-12-06, 05:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
3 at once or a player.
Old 11-13-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Do you have to order THREE at once to get the 10% off....or can I order 2 now, then 1 later....
Read the blurb on the site. I think there is a code you have to enter upon checkout. I bought my player through Amazon and consequently got the 10% off deal. As an added bonus, I received a 3-month trial offer on Amazon Prime, which I'm enjoying quite a bit.
Old 11-13-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I agree it is worth it. At least 50% of my HD-DVDs have come from Amazon.
Old 11-13-06, 02:05 PM

I don't have Amazon Prime, unfortunately. And, for preorders, I really don't care about getting stuff on the day it comes out.
In that case you're in the same boat as me and I would definitely say that Amazon is worth it to purchase HD DVDs.
Old 11-13-06, 03:05 PM

Absolutly worth it. Some of thier titles are much cheaper than the brick and mortar stores like Fast Times at Ridgemont high and a few other Combo discs. Amazon has them for 23 and they are 30-36 at the B&M stores. Add the 10% off on top of that and for those titles alone its worth it.

I have purchased like 70 of the 100 titles we own from Amazon so if you figure roughly 20 bucks a pop and a savings of 2 bucks per film then I have saved over 140 bucks so far from that 10% off not to mention I have an Amazon Credit card that I get points on for each purchase. In all I would say its roughly been like getting an extra 180-200 bucks so far including the rewards from the credit card. Thats like 9-10 free movies in value so far.

Absolutly worth it. Only thing I can say on the negative side is that Amazon has had some issues in regards to delivering on time. Its not terrible as it has only happened a handful of times but it has happened and that is rare for Amazon as I never had this problem with anything they sold before. Thier shipping has always been stellar. Hopefully imprvments are made so this kind of stuff doesnt happen anymore. Regardless they are still hands down my favorite e-retailer and they get 90% of my internet business.

PS..
Old 11-13-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget to try free Amazon Prime shipping either. I get my titles the next day with it, though they ship from within the same state.
Old 11-13-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Don't forget to try free Amazon Prime shipping either. I get my titles the next day with it, though they ship from within the same state.
That's why I don't ship through Prime. Most DVDs I get come from literally down the road.

I wish you could just go and pick them up. I could have them same day.
Old 11-15-06, 11:30 PM

I'm interested in the reports of erratic/late shipping from Amazon on HD-DVD. I ordered three discs last week, and when the package arrived I noticed that the shipping label and packing slip were a little different than their usual (IIRC, it was from "Amazon.com Fulfillment"). Then I noticed that they had sent me two aerobics DVDS (definitely not HD-DVD) instead of what I had ordered. I have never had any problem like that before with Amazon.

It certainly looks like they are outsourcing fulfillment on these.
Old 11-16-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I for one will be VERY sad in 2007 when my year is up and this deal is over.
Old 11-16-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammer99
If I'm remembering the fine print, I think the total discount maxed out at some point anyway. I figure I'll be pretty close to that by the time my year is up anyway.

But, yes, it'll be sad when the no-brainer preorders from Amazon stop. I'm hoping that something else comes along to pick up the slack.
Old 11-16-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
That's why I don't ship through Prime. Most DVDs I get come from literally down the road.

I wish you could just go and pick them up. I could have them same day.
That awesome! I remember when I spent a majority of my time in the Columbia House threads there was a member who lived right accross from the building.
Old 11-16-06, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bboisvert
If I'm remembering the fine print, I think the total discount maxed out at some point anyway. I figure I'll be pretty close to that by the time my year is up anyway.

$5000 in total purchases or $500 in discounts.
Old 11-16-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
$5000 in total purchases or $500 in discounts.
Well, I *hope* I don't hit that limit! Yikes, that's not bad. 250 HD DVDs, give or take.
Old 11-16-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just a question, but why on earth would you think it could be a bad thing? I mean, you can see online that Amazon is lower or competitive with any other site, so how could 10% off hurt? Not to mention that all you have to do to activate it is buy some HD DVD's that you were going to buy anyway. I can't speak for the other stores, but most releases I have seen at Best Buy are $24.99+, and that's if they even get them in at all.
Old 11-16-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Because I don't have Prime, so I don't know how shipping would factor into the mix.
Old 11-16-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because I don't have Prime, so I don't know how shipping would factor into the mix.
Just buy two at a time. Then the free shipping kicks in because your order is over $25.

That's what I used to do before I had Prime. Sometimes I'd have to wait a week or two for a release (until the date for it's buddy came up), but it wasn't much of a hardship. The 10% definitely makes this a deal that's hard to beat.
Old 11-16-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammer99
I feel the same way. I'm even a bit ticked because I couldn't wait to start saving a few bucks and I started the deal in May- and then went thru almost 4 months before there was anything else I really wanted to order. So my one year, is really only going to end up being about 8 months of good deals.

By the time its up though, DDDs prices durning their sales may actually be attractive.
Old 11-17-06, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I say go for it even without Prime. Amazon will still be cheaper with shipping than most stores.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.