Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

I returned my pristine-clean A1 to Fry's yesterday and I think I'm having withdrawls.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

I returned my pristine-clean A1 to Fry's yesterday and I think I'm having withdrawls.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought a XA1 refurb from OverStock.com for $440.30 shipped, and it is truly FABULOUS!

(To read about, 'THEEK'S Adventures in Refurbishland', click here and press the 'spoiler' button.)

Knowing that they're discontinued and all, I felt like just keeping it for a second HDTV, but thinking, "There's always the A2 (or whatnot)", I let it go.

I polished it and the remote (using one of those incredible, from Area 51, yellow micro fiber towels available at Costco) that takes off ALL the dust, fingerprints, grease and grime, and left it shinning and scratch-less, just like new. I wrapped it in it's foam sheet cover, slipped the cardboard end bricks on, put it back in it's box, packed the accessories (cables and what have you), remote, registration and upgrade/update cards with both instruction manuals in two large gallon-sized Ziploc freezer baggies, placed them both along the backside of the unit, put the cardboard cover piece (with the finger hole in the middle) over it, and sealed it up with one piece of clear packing tape. It looked like it had never been opened!

When I brought it back the guy opened the box but didn't even look at it (take it out of the box or unwrap it), as he could see I was really sad to let it go and how I told him how precious it was with near tears in my eyes, I suppose he trusted me in that it was all there and in A-1 condition!

Anyway, he gave me a store credit and we bought a few HD DVD's and put the balance on our debit card.

Never thought I'd feel so emotionally connected to a piece of electronics.

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 11-09-06 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-05-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you buy an A2 recently or something? Why return something that you like so much?
Old 11-05-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Did you buy an A2 recently or something? Why return something that you like so much?
Originally Posted by The Edit King
(I recently bought a XA1 refurb from OverStock.com for $440.30 shipped, and it is truly FABLOUS!)
You see...

Since I've got the XA1, I don't really need the A1 anymore, but it was a heartbreak taking it back.

Being super beautiful and loving as she was, now some young buck can enjoy her sweet, clean, updated (2.0), ready to rock and or roll loins, and at a discount! &

-Paul III

Last edited by The Edit King; 11-06-06 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-05-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I was going to post a picture of an A1 bottle but this was the second result on Google Images:

Old 11-05-06, 11:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey, THEEK, I'm in LA now and so is my A1.
Old 11-05-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

T-Bus: WOW-WOW-WOW-WEE!!!

Mallet-Man: Your 'A1'?

I wonder (((WHO))) that could be...

-THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 11-06-06 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-06-06, 12:06 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
No, it's not WhoGirl. She's not moving down until January for insurance purposes (long story). I meant my HD-A1, of course.
Old 11-06-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Edit King
When I brought it back the guy opened the box but didn't even look at it (take it out of the box or unwrap it), as he could see I was really sad to let it go and how I told him how precious it was with near tears in my eyes, I suppose he trusted me in that it was all there and in A-1 condition!
I think you scared him! He just wanted to be away from the crying man.
Old 11-06-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spiky: That's possible!

M-Man: Oh! THAT 'A1'!