Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hey Everybuddy! Welcome me to the Party! I just got home with my very own A1!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...hello?...Hello?...HELLO???

Oh, well...

What BALLS!!! Welcome 'ME' to the party??? Who the HELL do I think I am, anyway???

(I know, I know...there's been so many of these 'I Bought One' threads, and I can sincerely understand the pooped-out A1 party spirit, but for one reason or the other, I just gotta tell EVERYBUDDY, 'I GOT MINE!!!'...too!)

So, ready or not, here I go...

We just got home with our very own A1, to go with our (what has turned out to be) Truly Spectacular KDS50A2000 SXRD HDTV with a High Def picture that keeps blowing my eyes out of my head (well, when I'm not poking them out with my glasses, that is... ).

I figure I can always get the A2 later if I decide it's all that I think it is, and from what I've been hearin', will probably have to just dig deep and drop the bucks for one of those Sony Blue Rays so's we can watch all our HD Disney collection we're sure to be buying.

We bought ours over there at Fry's Electronics ('Alice in Wonderland' store) in Woodland Hills, as the Burbank ('Invaders from Outer Space') store said they had none, and the old dude we spoke to actually said they were COMPLETELY out of stock at ALL Fry's locations!

Then, all of a sudden, I felt light headed, and that's when everything went dark. When I came to, Treesa was giving me CPR, but when she saw that my eyes were open and that I was enjoying it, she gave me a full force B-slap right in the face!

As she was dragging me out of the store (by my hair), we passed another Fry's salesman guy, who actually looked very much like David Spade, and with one of my last breaths I took a last ditch effort chance and I asked him if he had any Toshiba A1's in stock.

He pointed over to one they were using as a display model and I ran over to it and started freaking out and touching it and all (as I've never seen one 'in person' and all), as he started checking the computer for stock.

He said, "We've got that one", and I said, "Okay, how about selling it to me for $300?", and he said, "Not gonna happen", and so I said, "Okay, how's about $250?", and he said, "Uh-Uh" (as in 'No!'), and Tree & I started laughing at how much he looked and even sounded like David, and he said, 'Ooh! Looky here! There are '3' in Chicago!", and Treesa said, "We won't be getting any of those anytime soon", and then he said, "There's '4' over in Woodland Hills", and I said, "That's more like it! Thanks Man! I really appreciate it!". We ran out the store, got back in the car, peeled out of the parking lot, and raced on the freeway (at break-neck speeds) all the way to Woodland Hills.

When we got there we said 'Hi' to Alice, and started searching the DVD player shelves, but I couldn't find any, and then Treesa said, "Look over there", and I said, "Where", and she said, "Up there", and low and behold, there SHE was, just sitting there, pretty and sweet, in all her white-box-glory, under 5 or 6 regular Panasonic DVD models, and that's when I found a salesman dude and told him, "That's the one I want!". He looked at me with a constipated look, and yes, it took a little while, but he finally found a ladder, and after shuffling some boxes, he snatched it out from under those 'Other Players", and handed it to me. We gladly paid the 'snooze you lose' $499 price tag and drove our New Baby home.

I've unpacked it, but I haven't plugged it in yet as I'm waiting for sunset to start our firmware upgrade, light the candles and (((*POP*))) the cork on some Dom I've been saving for a very special occassion!

-Tek!

Last edited by The Edit King; 10-23-06 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-21-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good for you, Paul. I think you are going to have fun with it. Welcome to the party.
Old 10-21-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow & Thanks, chente!

I was feelin' kinda sad and thought that since I was holding out and waiting for the A2 (and sorta in the process 'rejecting' the A1, as it were), I felt it may have been seen as kinda like, "Mutiny on the A1 Bounty", or whatnot, and folks out there may have thought of me as a trator (of sorts) and from the horrible guilt I was suffering, I just knew for sure that no one was gonna welcome me to the Toshiba A1 party and or club.

Thanks again, man.

-Paul

Last edited by The Edit King; 10-21-06 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-21-06, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've got that same tv except 40" hooked up to my hd-a1 and the picture is great. can't wait to get a bigger place to buy a bigger tv
Old 10-21-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Welcome to the fold. I have the A1 and have no desire whatsoever to get the A2. I think the advantages of the A1 more than outweight the startup time (the only advantage I can see to the Gen2 unit).

Love the A1, love HD-DVD, just wish BR could offer the same picture quality and dollar value as HD-DVD, then I'd likely have both.
Old 10-21-06, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The more that embrace this format, the better. Welcome to the party. Now you need to take advantage of the Google promotion before it expires at the end of this month and purchase a few HD-DVD's. You will not regret it!
Old 10-21-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Woo hoo!!! More of us on the HD pary train!!!!!
Old 10-21-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great story, TEK.

"Welcome to the party, pal!"

So what are you gonna watch first?
Old 10-21-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Edit King
then Treesa said, "Look over there", and I said, "Where", and she said, "Up there", and low and behold, there SHE was, just sitting there, pretty and sweet, in all her white-box-glory, under 5 or 6 Panasonic DVD models, and that's when I found a salesman dude and told him, "That's the one I want!". He looked at me with a constipated look, and yes, it took a little while, but he finally found a ladder,
Ugh. Short people. Tsk, tsk.......
Old 10-21-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Very funny, EVERYBUDDY... &

However, and on a more serious note:

We haven't watched 'one' movie all the way through yet, but we've scanned a few different titles, just to get a smorgasbord kinda feeling to see how they'd look on our new player.

Since I had already bought that 'VanHelsing' HD disk when I picked up my Sony HDMI up-converter/5 disk changer last week (and to my shame, somehow actually thought it would play on it), that's what we first tested the A1 out with, and within the first few seconds we knew we made the right decision in purchasing this player. After that, we checked out what it'd do with a few of our SD titles.

We tried Disney's 'Dinosaur', because on the Sony up-thingamabobby, it was seriously, heart-breaking-horrible, but in the A1 wonderful, then we slipped in an older Noir film entitled, 'Lady in the Lake', and it looked very good considering the older source and all, and then we watched a little 'Terminator 3' (that cemetery scene) that looked quite good and this time around nearly blew out our sound system

...and talk about GREAT sound! I heard the difference right away.

You know as well as I, it's real easy to get spoiled after seeing and experiencing 1080. Everything else has become rather regular to me.

All in all, I am VERY MOST PLEASED.

Thanks for all of your encouragement to finally buy this, my Newest Man-Toy.

(I sincerely appreciate you guys... )

PS. Nemo looks better than he ever did! WOW! What Colors!

BTW: The download took like 30 minutes...and, yes...there it is!

It says '2.0'!

-Paul

Last edited by The Edit King; 10-21-06 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-22-06, 12:53 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Now you need Batman Begins, Grand Prix, The Searchers, and The Corpse Bride.

Glad to hear you're on board. Woodland Hills, huh? I wouldn't have gone that far. That's dedication.

When I get down to LA we'll have to compare notes.
Old 10-22-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That 'Gron Pree' movie holds sentimental value for me. Can't wait to see it in HEIDI!

Compare notes???

(I'm getting that anti-social-squengy-neurotic feeling again!!! )

Maybe after we move into a BIGGER place?

(...Yeah! That's it! Tell him that!)

Sure, and that'll be okay, after we move into a BIGGER place.

-THEEK!
Old 10-22-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Heidi.

Josh Z, I think we got your column title:

HEIDI ENTHUSIAST