Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner Downgrades HD Forecast

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-06, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6378909.html

Warner Home Video has adjusted downward its projections for consumer spending on the new HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc formats this year, citing limitations on the availability of high-definition hardware.

The studio said consumers spent just $30 million on high-def hardware and software through September, about half what Warner forecast would be spent in the period.
Old 10-07-06, 04:28 PM
Banned

Funny that the article keeps referring to "high-def hardware" when it's really not "high-def hardware" all-inclusive. It's BD completely as the next paragraph shows.

In presenting the studio’s revised research at the High Def 101 conference here Friday, Warner senior VP of market management Steve Nickerson said spending slimmed because most manufacturers delayed high-def player launches.

When Nickerson presented the studio’s forecast earlier in the year, Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony and Philips were among those expected to have launched Blu-ray Disc players by now. All those companies are now anticipating October through December launches. Panasonic players did start shipping to specialty electronics stores at the end of September.

Going into the fourth quarter, restricted PlayStation 3 quantities should continue to hinder early high-def revenue.
One wonders what will happen after those players come out. What if buying still does not go up?
Old 10-08-06, 01:28 AM

This is a pretty clear statement from Warner that Bluray has sold a fraction of what they expected and that they don't expect this situation to reverse.

HD DVD sales are mainly carrying the other half of the forecast left over...

That's quite a big statement - basically letting the industry know that Bluray have let the side down...
Old 10-08-06, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm still stuck on this ....

Nickerson continued to be bullish on consumer adoption of high-def home entertainment formats, however. In four years, high-def DVD should have market penetration of 100 million hardware devices capable of playing high-def media, compared to 35 million standard DVD players four years after standard DVD’s launch, he said.
Old 10-08-06, 08:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HiFiLux
This is a pretty clear statement from Warner that Bluray has sold a fraction of what they expected and that they don't expect this situation to reverse.

HD DVD sales are mainly carrying the other half of the forecast left over...

That's quite a big statement - basically letting the industry know that Bluray have let the side down...
Interesting analysis. Care to point out where he singled out Blu-Ray as the problem child and commended HD DVD for its success?
Old 10-08-06, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Interesting analysis. Care to point out where he singled out Blu-Ray as the problem child and commended HD DVD for its success?
In presenting the studio’s revised research at the High Def 101 conference here Friday, Warner senior VP of market management Steve Nickerson said spending slimmed because most manufacturers delayed high-def player launches.

When Nickerson presented the studio’s forecast earlier in the year, Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony and Philips were among those expected to have launched Blu-ray Disc players by now. All those companies are now anticipating October through December launches. Panasonic players did start shipping to specialty electronics stores at the end of September.
...you're welcome...

Last edited by HiFiLux; 10-08-06 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-08-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The original estimate from WB was for more HD DVD sales this year than BD. If they've since halved their estimates it stands to reason a good chunk of that is due to less than steller movement on Toshiba's format. The reason given for their revised figures is just spin common to all political statements.
Old 10-08-06, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
The original estimate from WB was for more HD DVD sales this year than BD. If they've since halved their estimates it stands to reason a good chunk of that is due to less than steller movement on Toshiba's format. The reason given for their revised figures is just spin common to all political statements.
Exactly. Both formats have performed below the expectations of Warner.
Old 10-08-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I'm still stuck on this ....
Nickerson continued to be bullish on consumer adoption of high-def home entertainment formats, however. In four years, high-def DVD should have market penetration of 100 million hardware devices capable of playing high-def media, compared to 35 million standard DVD players four years after standard DVD’s launch, he said.

“Despite the two different high-definition formats, sales of compatible hardware devices will be much faster for high-def than for standard-definition,” Nickerson said.
I don't know what Nickerson is using, but it must be some pretty spacey stuff. 100 million "devices" by 2010 seems like a stretch to me even counting game machines and computer drives, neither of which will be used much for movie watching. I am still guessing "niche market" for HD DVD/Blu-ray. Hope that I am wrong though.
Old 10-08-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Nonsense, It says plainly in the article that this is on Hardware that was delayed and the limited PS3 availability. Last I checked that was all Blu-Ray.

Last edited by DthRdrX; 10-08-06 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-08-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. The original estimate from WB was for more HD DVD sales than BD. The rest is simple maths. Statements like those made in the article are often used to try and explain wildly inaccurate economic reports. Don't believe everything you're told.
Old 10-08-06, 05:27 PM

If you look at the detail they published you can plainly see that that is not the case at all...
Old 10-08-06, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lizard
I don't know what Nickerson is using, but it must be some pretty spacey stuff. 100 million "devices" by 2010 seems like a stretch to me even counting game machines and computer drives, neither of which will be used much for movie watching. I am still guessing "niche market" for HD DVD/Blu-ray. Hope that I am wrong though.
I'm sure things like the PS3 are counted in that 100 million. I think Warner is heavily overestimating both formats. I don't think there is any way either one will match the success of DVD. For one many will be happy with DVD and of course the format war will also put off potential buyers.

Blu-ray and HD DVD have to find niches, but hopefull the HD video niche will be a larger one than laserdisc. It really should be much larger, but we won't know until player prices are lower.
Old 10-08-06, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by darkside
Blu-ray and HD DVD have to find niches, but hopefull the HD video niche will be a larger one than laserdisc. It really should be much larger, but we won't know until player prices are lower.
Again, I ask: How many LD players were sold during it's time? I know mine was about $400 when I got it and that was a cheap version about a decade after they came out. At this point, you can get an HD DVD machine (first generation) for less than that. You can actually BUY discs in a lot of stores. I'm betting market penetration is well on its way to beating LD.