Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody else cut way back on SD DVD purchasing?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious if I am the only one who has cut way back on SD DVD Purchasing. Titles that I would have without a doubt gotten before I am now just saying no, ill wait for the HD version. I am still purchasing my Criterion titles, some sports discs recently like the 4 Disc Pitt Steelers Superbowl set and my Spacecraft films sets but when it come to standard movies I have passed on titles I wanted for the last 3-4 weeks in a row which I never do.

I am just so against double dipping that I look at every SD movie now like its gonna be a double dip as il just end up replacing it when it comes on HD. The more I look at it the more its looking like I am basically done with SD with of course some exceptions. I guess I was just curious if other people were having the same thing happen to them and thier purchasing habits.

PS.....
Old 09-27-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Between Netflix and waiting for the next gen formats to sort themselves out better. Purchasing is way down.
Old 09-27-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
In anticipation of my purchase of the A1 (or maybe A2), I quit buying SD DVDs altogether on about five months ago. And I won't be buying the A1/A2 for another month (waiting for Black Friday).
Old 09-27-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
I'm only buying TV shows on SD DVD, but that's about it.
Old 09-27-06, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Vipper II
I'm only buying TV shows on SD DVD, but that's about it.
Ditto. My purchases are limited to TV shows, catalog titles that could take years to reach HD-DVD, and select movies exclusive to Blu-rry studios(like Fox's X-Men 3 next week).

It's really hard to watch SD-DVDs after taking the HD-DVD plunge.
Old 09-27-06, 09:22 AM
Cool New Member

I am buying TV Shows and boxed sets of older movies like Charlie Chan on SD-DVD.

No newer movies.
Old 09-27-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haven't bought a regular DVD in 3 months. Netflix helps with non-HD new releases.
Old 09-27-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Of course I'm buying fewer standard DVDs, but I'm not making it a hard rule to not buy any more. There are still some titles that can't be in HD because they were shot on SD video (like that U2 Zoo TV disc that just came out), and I'll still buy some very cheap discs that are unlikely to be released in HD any time soon.

I guess I've stopped buying new releases of big theatrical films, even if they don't get an HD release right away. I may make an exception for Cars because it's Pixar and all, but that won't be on HD-DVD (or BD for that matter) until next year at the earliest.

One thing I'm definitely not doing anymore is double dipping (HD-DVD versions of DVDs I have don't count). I know some people don't do this anyway, but it wasn't too long ago that I had no problem buying a re-release if it had a better transfer. Now, even if there's an improvement I'm just going to wait for HD.
Old 09-27-06, 09:37 AM
Banned

I'll keep buying Disney and Fox movies but any others I'll wait on.
Old 09-27-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
For the most part, I've cut way back. I've got a backlog of two DDD sales's worth of movies to go through.
Old 09-27-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've cut way back and I haven't even figured out what my HD solution (either/both formats) will be yet. I picked up several TV sets at the last DDD sale and hardly anything since. It's getting a little frustrating since there are several movies I want that came out this year. They are likely to be in HD sooner than catalog titles on my list so I'm torn on whether to buy them on DVD when they arrive (some already have) or to wait for an HD version and player that I want.
Old 09-27-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only SD content I buy is basically TV shows, and some niche films that probably won't ever be released in HD.
Old 09-27-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've definitely cut way back. Titles that would have been no-brainers before:

Blade Runner
Forbidden Planet
Nightmare on Elm St.
Maltese Falcon
etc.

are now on a 'wait and see' list. Anything that I think has a reasonable chance of coming out in the next 12 months on HD DVD will not be purchased.
Old 09-27-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not much change for buying new release SD's unless a title has actually been announced for Blu-Ray. I will not double dip on SD titles anymore though.
Old 09-27-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only new releases i've bought in the past few months were V for Vendetta(lenticular) and United 92 LE.

Everything else has been TV shows. And probably 95% of the TV shows that i have right now, i won't be upgrading to HD.

I won't be jumping into HD until about February or March so i'm hoping that my cutting back will be worthwhile.

Side question: I have the ability to get some HD DVD's really cheap through work aka $10. Would it be worthwhile to start buying some eventhough i wouldn't be able to use them or anything until February or March?
Old 09-27-06, 10:48 AM

I've trimmed down my SD DVD purchasing to anime, tv on dvd, and foreign movies distributed by Sony or from different regions.
Old 09-27-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doughboy
Ditto...and select movies exclusive to Blu-rry studios(like Fox's X-Men 3 next week). It's really hard to watch SD-DVDs after taking the HD-DVD plunge.
Agree completely. Non HD-DVD supporting studios, ala Fox and Sony, releasing certain SD-DVD's may get my dollars, but that is about it. I'm just tired of double dipping, triple dipping, etc...especially when I tend to only watch the movie anyways.
Old 09-27-06, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
Side question: I have the ability to get some HD DVD's really cheap through work aka $10. Would it be worthwhile to start buying some eventhough i wouldn't be able to use them or anything until February or March?
Definitely. 10 bucks is a bargain. And if any of them are combos, you'll be able to watch the SD-DVD side while you're waiting(although I do hate those damn combos!).
Old 09-27-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I haven't bought one in several months. I've used netflix for any SD stuff I want to see.
Old 09-27-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only new releases i've bought in the past few months were V for Vendetta(lenticular) and United 92 LE.
With the advent of HD DVD, I've stopped chasing a lot of these things (lenticular packaging), Universal 2-disc LEs.

When I have Corpse Bride on HD DVD, I'm sure I'll find that the packaging on the standard, which was so important to me a few months back, is quick to go up for sale.

And Universal has been putting out their LE content on their HD DVDs, often for even less cost.

Absolutely. I'd be all over that deal. If you know you'll have an HD DVD player in a few months, I don't see why you wouldn't do it.
Old 09-27-06, 11:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
even if I did have a HiDef player - no, there are alot of SD DVD's I have ordered and have on preorder from Amazon.
Old 09-27-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was just kinda hesitant because it's not like i'll be going HD at X-mas, but a few months after. I would hate to think that HD DVD would go under or be in bad shape by March, but it's always possible.

If the reviews look good for Batman, Corpse Bride, and the Wonka films i'll probably start picking up some.
Old 09-27-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Even before I got my A1 I was cutting back, but now, its pretty much non-existent. I will continue with Disney and a maybe a couple of TV shows, but thats it.
Old 09-27-06, 12:07 PM

I have, but that has more to do with space and money issues for dvd's. I slowed down before hd dvd and blue ray were in sight of being available in stores.
Old 09-27-06, 12:38 PM

I was just kinda hesitant because it's not like i'll be going HD at X-mas, but a few months after. I would hate to think that HD DVD would go under or be in bad shape by March, but it's always possible.
I seriously doubt HD-DVD will be in bad shape come March. Granted, the PS3 could give Blu-rry a major boost by then, but it won't kill HD-DVD. Hell, at that point Lion's Gate and Disney could start announcing titles for the format.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.