DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Superman Returns - HD DVD combo & BD 11/28 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/478379-superman-returns-hd-dvd-combo-bd-11-28-a.html)

digitalfreaknyc 09-21-06 04:26 PM

Superman Returns - HD DVD combo & BD 11/28

On Nov. 28, the studio will release its $197 million-grossing Superman Returns as an HD DVD Combo disc (which has HD DVD on one side of the disc and standard-def on the other) priced at $39.99 and on Blu-ray Disc with a list price of $34.99.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6374288.html

joshd2012 09-21-06 04:33 PM

I didn't have a chance to see this in the theaters. Might have to rent.

Giles 09-21-06 04:34 PM

a combo, hmmmm I might bite...

digitalfreaknyc 09-21-06 04:38 PM

Updated for price changes... :(

Doughboy 09-21-06 05:05 PM

I'm really getting sick of these combos. The only reason to even have a SD-DVD side is if they're gonna stick the deleted scenes and documentary on there. If that turns out to be the case, then WB is forgiven. Otherwise, this is a sham. $39.99 list price for a bare bones disc?!

MBoyd 09-21-06 05:08 PM

Combo . . . well that sucks, but at least it is coming. Please let Superman I and II come out as well WB and I will forgive you!!!

darkside 09-21-06 05:11 PM

Well, considering how good the discounts are at Amazon I don't mind the combos. I have already gotten use out of GNGL and Animal House as regular DVDs. It does come in handy.

digitalfreaknyc 09-21-06 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
I'm really getting sick of these combos. The only reason to even have a SD-DVD side is if they're gonna stick the deleted scenes and documentary on there. If that turns out to be the case, then WB is forgiven. Otherwise, this is a sham. $39.99 list price for a bare bones disc?!

They've gotten 30/9 discs working so it could be dual-layer HD/SD. I'm betting that's what it is.

Vipper II 09-21-06 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
They've gotten 30/9 discs working so it could be dual-layer HD/SD. I'm betting that's what it is.

For a 2+ hour movie, I would hope they'd put it on a DL.

Artman 09-21-06 06:39 PM

So where does the three hr doc go? :hscratch:

I assume the SD DVD side is going to be disc one of that set, and they can't fit a 2 1/2 hr HDmovie and a SD three hr doc on 30gigs can they?

Hope it's two discs...

As much as I don't care for combos (slightly higher price, and the ugly black banner) this is one that definitely makes sense. It very likely will be my first HD purchase...

joshd2012 09-21-06 07:19 PM

HighDefDigest has confirmed that this title will be BD-50! This will be Warner's first BD-50 title.

Mr. Cinema 09-21-06 08:33 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo............not a freakin' combo for Supes. Damn it! I DONT....WANT....THE.....DVD......VERSION....DON'T....MAKE.....ME....PAY....MORE....FOR.....A......SI DE....I'LL....NEVER.....WATCH....

At least it appears King Kong won't be a combo. That along with this title are 1, 2 on my wishlist.

Supermallet 09-21-06 09:26 PM

Digital Bits says all the 2-disc features from the SD DVD will be on the HD DVD. So that's the good news.

The bad news is EVERYTHING FUCKING ELSE ABOUT THIS RELEASE.

A) A combo, with pricing to match
B) No TrueHD
C) That cover

I am ready to kill somebody over this. You can make Animal House a combo, whatever. You can even make The Thing a combo. But you DON'T MAKE SUPERMAN A FUCKING COMBO!

Also I haven't found any place that's confirming any kind of HD extras for the HD DVD.

digitalfreaknyc 09-21-06 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by joshd2012
HighDefDigest has confirmed that this title will be BD-50! This will be Warner's first BD-50 title.

I'll believe it when i see....errrr...hear about it.

I guess it's possible the 3 hour documentary could fit on 1 DL HD disc. That would be, at most, 8.5gb...and they still have another 22 to play with the movie and the IME track.

DthRdrX 09-21-06 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by joshd2012

i'm interested but curious. They also say it will have the same extras. Are they using only 30gbs of space on the bd50????

digitalfreaknyc 09-21-06 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
i'm interested but curious. They also say it will have the same extras. Are they using only 30gbs of space on the bd50????

probably.

digitalfreaknyc 09-21-06 09:55 PM

http://www.dvdtown.com/media/coverart/big/20001.jpg

Supermallet 09-21-06 09:58 PM

Yes, the awful cover I complained about. Even the combo stripe on it looks ugly as hell.

Commander Dan 09-22-06 12:18 AM

Glad this is coming before year's end. I will definitely be picking this up (on HD-DVD), though I also am not a fan of the combo discs.

Just who makes these "brilliant" marketing decisions, and what are they thinking?

Supermallet 09-22-06 12:28 AM

I think after this holiday season someone on the "Superman team" should be fired.

Eric D. 09-22-06 01:03 AM

At this point, I am desentized to combos. The Thing was what broke me. Now I just don't care anymore because there is no sign of the combos stopping...ever. I fully expect every major HD DVD release to be a combo now. What bothers me more than the combo is that there is not going to be a HD DVD Superman mega box like SD DVD is getting. WTF is up with that?

Supermallet 09-22-06 01:05 AM

I'm still holding out hope for a box set. If I can't have Nuclear Man in HD, no one can!

ShagMan 09-22-06 07:43 AM

oh my god that cover is horrible.

Oliver Clothesoff 09-22-06 07:54 AM

Horrible cover. But I'm stoked for this release. The combo issue doesn't bother me anymore (provided it's dual-layered on the HD side); I can get this for close to the same price as the 2-disc SE from Amazon, so the cost becomes a nonfactor, really.

bboisvert 09-22-06 08:17 AM

I can understand Warner not wanting to bother doing HD DVDs for Superman III and IV (I suppose).

But, if they were really clever, they'd do a version of the 14-disc standard DVD tin for HD DVD owners. Include all of the content, but switch out the standard versions of Superman I, II, Donner, and Returns for HD DVDs.

It's not going to happen, but it would make me happy. :)

joshd2012 09-22-06 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX

Yet to be seen. We'll have to wait for further announcements.

Big Worms 09-22-06 10:32 AM

Good news! I will be getting this one.

DthRdrX 09-22-06 03:21 PM

Anybody see what Cj posted on AVS?

"I can't comment on title-specific BR's. The HD disc for Superman Returns will be a 30/9 combo as that's pretty much public now. I think it'll have a surprise or 2 for you, though, besides that.

BTW, with all of Bracke's reviews showing Warner discs to now be equivalent to their HD counterparts (Swordfish, House of Wax, Firewall, etc.), what makes you think they'll update the audio for BD's release to 24-bit? I'm not saying yes or no, but have they done something for BD that didn't happen for HD that I'm not aware of? I'd love to see that, but they've exhibited no behavior to show favoritism towards one or the other past the MPEG-2 releases of yore (okay, only a month ago, not really "yore") that I'm aware of. You'll probably have 20GB of empty space on the BD50 for this title as well as any other BD50's.

Cjplay."

RockStrongo 09-22-06 04:01 PM

I suspect there will be changes to the specs before its released.

Artman 09-22-06 05:32 PM

According to the Bits - standard def docs, no IME or regular commentary... what a shame. I'll still probably get this but it's probably the first WB release that's a dissapointment. i guess we can hope for the extended deluxe edition in three yrs when the sequel comes out... :(

Mr. Cinema 09-22-06 05:36 PM

They're giving Poseidon the IME treatment, but not Superman Returns? :hscratch:

Supermallet 09-22-06 09:28 PM

Also according to the Digital Bits, WB has confirmed DolbyTrueHD. This, to me, is far more important than IME, especially since the documentaries should be pretty in-depth.

Doughboy 09-23-06 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Also according to the Digital Bits, WB has confirmed DolbyTrueHD. This, to me, is far more important than IME, especially since the documentaries should be pretty in-depth.

True(pun intended). Assuming all the SD-DVD extras are included, I can live without IME. Dolby TrueHD is something I'd take advantage of every single time I watch the movie though.

Now if WB can just confirm Superman: The Movie on HD-DVD has all the same features(and cuts of the film) as the 4-disc SD-DVD, they'll be completely forgiven for this combo debacle.

Supermallet 09-23-06 12:48 AM

AFAIK, we will only get one cut of Superman I. However, we should be able to get all the rest of the special features.

nazz 09-23-06 02:13 AM

Also according to the Digital Bits, WB has confirmed DolbyTrueHD.

:banana:

Eric D. 09-23-06 02:35 AM

What? No IME! I thought I read somewhere that Singer was excited about doing that for the HD DVD release?

Skoobooz 09-23-06 07:26 AM

AFAIK, we will only get one cut of Superman I. However, we should be able to get all the rest of the special features.

Do you have a source on that? And which one will they choose? Either way, we'll be losing a commentary, too....

Just do two discs, Warner. It's not that hard. We'll pay a little more.

digitalfreaknyc 09-23-06 05:57 PM

So is there any chance the other side of Superman Returns will be the 2nd SD disc? Instead of just the movie again?

Vipper II 09-23-06 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
i guess we can hope for the extended deluxe edition in three yrs when the sequel comes out... :(

Warner Brothers tends to stay away from double dipping like that; they only seem to do it when it's necessary - i.e. Blade Runner, Heat, etc...

RockStrongo 09-23-06 06:41 PM

So is there any chance the other side of Superman Returns will be the 2nd SD disc? Instead of just the movie again?

I doubt it...they would just be confusing people even more with the "combo" discs.