DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Superman Returns - HD DVD combo & BD 11/28 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/478379-superman-returns-hd-dvd-combo-bd-11-28-a.html)

digitalfreaknyc 11-27-06 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I'm sure it could have. I expect that the lack of features on the Kong disc has less to do with disc space than with Universal's plans for an Extended Edition double-dip.

But doesn't the extended edition have all new extras? Or does it repeat extras from the first version?

Mr. Cinema 11-27-06 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
But doesn't the extended edition have all new extras? Or does it repeat extras from the first version?

I have the Kong Extended disc and the packaging says it has all new exclusive extras.

digitalfreaknyc 11-27-06 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I have the Kong Extended disc and the packaging says it has all new exclusive extras.

Well, that might make sense since Universal has a habit of including all extras from all releases. But that sucks that this first release is "barebones."

RockStrongo 11-27-06 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I'm sure it could have. I expect that the lack of features on the Kong disc has less to do with disc space than with Universal's plans for an Extended Edition double-dip.

Also, I think this release was somewhat rushed to be released with the 360.

I think had universal had more time, they would have released it with extras and possibly a bigger release with the extended edition.

This release might have come about due to the deal with the 360.

Of course, I have no proof of that. As you say, I think we will see a bigger release (probably within a year or maybe 2).

Mr. Cinema 11-28-06 07:56 AM

This is YMMV territory, but a few posters at AVS have purchased Supes at Walmart for around the $19.99 price. I guess they are overlooking the list price like they did with Kong.

Big Worms 11-28-06 09:41 AM

This is YMMV territory, but a few posters at AVS have purchased Supes at Walmart for around the $19.99 price. I guess they are overlooking the list price like they did with Kong.

Thanks for the heads up. Will check it out during lunch.

John72Tex 11-28-06 06:24 PM

I saw Superman Returns on HD only at my Best Buy and Walmart. The Circuit City had NO HD or Blu-Ray DVDs and Target didn't have any new releases. I could not find the Donner Cut or Superman: the Movie on HD DVD anywhere.

gerrythedon 11-28-06 07:50 PM

Target: Had around 7 BR, no HD DVD
CC: Didn't see any
BB: Had a big box [on the floor, not up] with like 7 of each of the 3 Supermans [HD DVD], no BR

Brewc 11-28-06 09:23 PM

my Walmart had an empty slot for HD Superman for $19.95 gues I'll be checking it out everyday at lunch to get a copy.

Maxflier 11-28-06 10:31 PM

Picked up my copy at Wal-Mart for $19.99 tonight. They didn't have any in the slots either, both copies they had were in one of the hanging racks on the end of the aisle.

Mr. Cinema 11-29-06 07:31 AM

I viewed the HD DVD version last night. I also sampled scenes from the BD and the picture looked identical to me. It definitely looked high-def, with plenty of detail in the character faces, etc., but the colors were a little muted. It had that hazy look to it. But this is how I saw it in theaters, so it does match. I was just hoping for a bit more pop. The audio was amazing, except the dialogue was a bit low during some scenes. Felt like mumbling. But again, the dialogue in the theater also seemed a bit low. King Kong is still tops for me in video, but Supes' audio mix is definitely demo material, especially the jet rescue. And I was using optical. I will try out analogs and TrueHD this weekend to see if I notice a difference.

quick question, why doesn't Warners encode their audio at 1.5mbps like Universal? Why cut it in half?

digitalfreaknyc 11-29-06 08:40 AM

The picture will be identical. Since those initial releases, WB will always have the exact same transfer.

Supermallet 11-29-06 10:12 AM

I viewed the HD DVD version last night. I also sampled scenes from the BD and the picture looked identical to me. It definitely looked high-def, with plenty of detail in the character faces, etc., but the colors were a little muted. It had that hazy look to it. But this is how I saw it in theaters, so it does match. I was just hoping for a bit more pop. The audio was amazing, except the dialogue was a bit low during some scenes. Felt like mumbling. But again, the dialogue in the theater also seemed a bit low. King Kong is still tops for me in video, but Supes' audio mix is definitely demo material, especially the jet rescue. And I was using optical. I will try out analogs and TrueHD this weekend to see if I notice a difference.

quick question, why doesn't Warners encode their audio at 1.5mbps like Universal? Why cut it in half?

The HD DVD definitely recreates the theatrical experience. It's a hazy film.

sleepykid 11-29-06 10:11 PM

no luck for me

i went to CC, BB, Target, Walmart, and Borders and none of them had the HD-DVD version of Superman Returns.