Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lip sync and test tone problems with Toshiba HD-DVD player

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lip sync and test tone problems with Toshiba HD-DVD player

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
test tone problem with Toshiba HD-DVD player

I just got my Toshiba HD-DVD player today. Loving it so far. I am trying to set the levels using the 5.1 speaker setup. When I run the test tones, I get pink noise from both the L and R surround speakers during the auto noise sequence. First, I get the Front L, then Center, then Right (all those work find). Then, it moves to L surround, and I get noise from both surround speakers. Same story for Right surround. My surround speakers arent equidistant from the listening position, so this makes things difficult. Is this a known issue and, if so, is there a workaround? thanks!
Old 09-09-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interesting. I just noticed this too. I have firmware 2.0, and I didn't try this before I got the update.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm using the analog outs, BTW.
Old 09-09-06, 11:08 PM

I just checked this and I get the test tone from each speaker (individually) using 5.1 analog outs. I also have it hooked up using optical and when switching to that I get the rear left and rear right at the same time. My receiver stays in Pro Logic mode when using the optical connection for the test tones. Using official FW 2.0
Old 09-10-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried it again using the analog outs. It works correctly via the analog outs, but I get both L/R surround at the same time via digital coax. No big deal I guess.
Old 09-10-06, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I stand corrected. I can confirm that using the analog outs I do get the proper test-tones, but with the optical out, I the rear channels both sound for both the L & R rear test tones.

I wonder if the L/R signal is being interpreted correctly by the A1 when people use the digital outputs.
Old 09-10-06, 12:39 PM

When checking the optical out, I had put in Fight Club SD DVD and used the little test tone thing from the THX portion of it and the tones came out of each speaker how they should. The receiver also clicked over to Dolby Digital when running this test.

I tried the test tones on the A1 with the Digital out SPDIF set to both Bitstream and PCM. Each time the 2 rears are on at the same time and during the test the receiver stays in Pro Logic mode with 2 speakers lit up (FL and FR) and PCM indicated on the front as well.

It looks like no matter what setting you use, the A1 is in PCM 2ch mode for the test tones when using SPDIF out. It does, however, output the DD/DTS bitstream when its supposed to.
Old 09-10-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lip sync problems with Toshiba HD-DVD player

I just got my Toshiba HD-DVD player yesterday. I don't have any HD-DVDs yet, but I have been having very noticable lip sync issues with Veronica Mars, Season 1. The disc works fine in my Xbox 360, but the lipsync is very off on the Toshiba. I have firmware 2.0. Any suggestions?
Old 09-10-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good news, thanks for looking into that, fataldog.
Old 09-10-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think we need a little more information - how is your audio and video hooked up.
Old 09-10-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had that issue with HD DVDs only. I'm hooked up by audio analog cables. You can tell when it will happen. there is a slight "hiccup" then its out of sync. Pausing will correct it. More of an annoyance than anything.
Old 09-10-06, 10:30 PM
Banned

I don't think this has ever happened with an SD DVD. It only is reported with HD DVD's.
Old 09-10-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think you guys already answered your own question. If you are only getting 4 channels, it may be outputting DPL instead of DD. The rear is mono in DPL.

You shouldn't be altering channel levels in the player over a digital connection, anyway. I'm a little surprised they even play over the digital connection.
Old 09-11-06, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had the sync issue with both analog and digital outputs. I watched the next episode on the disc and it was fine. I'll test some more discs tomorrow.
Old 09-11-06, 02:08 AM

I had a sync problem with Van Helsing that drove me crazy. I checked my entire set up to make sure it wasnt any of my equipment. I ended up taking the disc back to Best Buy and tested it on thier demo machine and it was the same on thiers. Must have been an error in the pressing of the disc. I exchanged it and have never had a sync problem since.

PS