Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

PS3 Delayed in Europe till March 07. US/Japan Still on target.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

PS3 Delayed in Europe till March 07. US/Japan Still on target.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Dec 7 1941
Ben Affleck day?
Old 09-06-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
Dec 7 1941

Someone should photoshop a train derailment with the PS3/Blu-Ray logo on the train.
Old 09-06-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Coral

Someone should photoshop a train derailment with the PS3/Blu-Ray logo on the train.
I always imagine the train wreck scene from The Fugitive when Blitz does his "choo choo" crap.
Old 09-06-06, 09:54 AM
Banned

I always imagine the train wreck scene from The Fugitive when Blitz does his "choo choo" crap.
::

And you know what? The funny part is that, I bet, eveyone who reads that has their own idea in their head about what Blitz would sound like saying it.

It's just that fucking ridiculous.
Old 09-06-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, time to get back my preorder deposit.

And reconsider my options. Stay tuned...
Old 09-06-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
US to receive 400k units on launch day, japan 100k units. Still projecting over 2 mil units shipped by Jan 01.

So is this going to be a True Launch ?
Old 09-06-06, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Grubert

Where are they taking preorders?

Dont cancel!! You can always sell it on ebay for twice the cost!
Old 09-06-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where are they taking preorders?

Dont cancel!! You can always sell it on ebay for twice the cost!
I live in fucking Europe, mate.
Old 09-06-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Grubert

Well my gf's cousin works at a VGS (I forget which one).... but I serious doubt that will give me an advantage with only 400k units.

What a fucking joke.
Old 09-06-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Coral

Old 09-06-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...pe-until-march

Sony has delayed the launch of its next-generation PlayStation 3 games console until March 2007 in territories outside North America and Japan.

European gamers will have to wait until March 2007 to get their hands on Sony's latest console, four months after their American and Japanese counterparts.

Sony claimed that the delay in the mass production schedule of the blue laser diode within the Sony Group was the result of problems with the Blu-ray high-definition DVD format.

The delay also affects consumers in Australasia, Russia, the Middle East and Africa.

The PlayStation 3 console was due to launch in Europe in November to mirror the 11 November and 17 November releases in Japan and North America.

Sony insisted that it still expects to ship six million PlayStation 3 units in 2007, despite the delays.
Old 09-06-06, 10:54 AM

I want to join the Blitz "choo choo" as well!

What's that phrase? I told you so? Yeah that one comes to mind.

Z
Old 09-06-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Zman
I want to join the Blitz "choo choo" as well!
There's always plenty of room aboard Blitz's choo-choo:

Old 09-06-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by awmurray
There's always plenty of room aboard Blitz's choo-choo:

Would it be juvenile of me to point out that the red (HD DVD) engine is pulling the blue (blu ray) caboose?
Old 09-06-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by awmurray

This is bad news. So not only does it give them even less to work with against Xbox 360's lead, it also screws the userbase for Blu-Ray that both Sony and BD fanboys were so sorely relying upon. This is going to make for some interesting months.
Old 09-06-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
What is "FUD?"

I think people may underestimate how bad this is for the BD crowd. With only 400k units for the launch, you can bet there won't be much more for the holiday season. You can also bet that most every PS3 that does sell, is selling because people want a game console. I don't see the videophile waiting in line for one, nor paying through the nose on ebay, personally. They will have stand alone units out (presumably) but it won't be what they wanted to go into the holiday season.

Toshiba would do well to get as many units out as they can, but they probably have the same problem with production capacity.
Old 09-06-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
And give Blitz credit. He is the one that posted this story.
Old 09-06-06, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
What is "FUD?"

I think people may underestimate how bad this is for the BD crowd. With only 400k units for the launch, you can bet there won't be much more for the holiday season. You can also bet that most every PS3 that does sell, is selling because people want a game console. I don't see the videophile waiting in line for one, nor paying through the nose on ebay, personally. They will have stand alone units out (presumably) but it won't be what they wanted to go into the holiday season.

Toshiba would do well to get as many units out as they can, but they probably have the same problem with production capacity.
Yep and when its so limited, ALOT of those units will make it to ebay. So, even less will actually be in comsumer hands at launch and shortly thereafter. I imagine HD-DVD can make some good headway this Q4. They MUST start releasing huge titles!! MS should lower the price of the 360 by $50. And, market the hell out of the hd-dvd drive for it.

Im just hoping any BD delays do not ALSO delay an HD-DVD title release (maybe from WB or Paramount).
Old 09-06-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think people may underestimate how bad this is for the BD crowd.
I'm going to get erroneously labelled a BD guy again, but whatever....

No, people are overestimating. All the HDDVD fanboys have been claiming the PS3 means nothing to the war. Well, which is it? Either it has a big effect or it doesn't.

Europe doesn't have HDTV. England is starting to, the rest are further behind. This hurts PS3 gaming for sure, it does not hurt the BD/HDDVD war. Currently the only real battlefield is in the USA.

And frankly, 400K units is still more than all the other BD/HDDVD machines combined will ship this year. But it still won't matter much to the war because most of those will be intended as gaming machines, or they will buy a movie or 2, nothing substantial.
Old 09-06-06, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
And frankly, 400K units is still more than all the other BD/HDDVD machines combined will ship this year. But it still won't matter much to the war because most of those will be intended as gaming machines, or they will buy a movie or 2, nothing substantial.
I agree with you 100%.

The reason it will be a blow to BD is because SONY is riding it in the format war.
Old 09-06-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
No, people are overestimating. All the HDDVD fanboys have been claiming the PS3 means nothing to the war. Well, which is it? Either it has a big effect or it doesn't.
I think the argument was that the price was going to have less of an impact on BD sales, since it will be unlikely people will be buying movies at launch of the system after dropping such a large chunk of change. Now that Sony has drastically reduced available units, it only maks that statement seem all the more true.
Old 09-06-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The reason it will be a blow to BD is because SONY is riding it in the format war.
I don't think most people have our aversion to those four letters on the front of our equipment.
Old 09-06-06, 01:13 PM
Banned

I think a lot of "HD DVD fanboys" don't think the PS3 is going to mean much and still don't. However, the delays by Sony and the limited # of systems going out there DO affect the image of Sony and the reasons why all of the studios/manufacturers hooked up with them in the first place. Therefore, the delays may have a significant impact on that support which is, as I see it, HD DVD's achilles heel.
Old 09-06-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is "FUD?"
A marketing acronym that is pretty terribly overused on the AVS forums.

Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt. (Usually associated with a tech product.)

Basically, if you think a new product is going to kick your ass, you make vague comments about the product's downfall and/or problems to scare people into buying your product.

"Yeah, that new MS operating system looks cool, but it *may* not run all of your software, so you *might* need to upgrade all of your applications. Plus, we have sporatic reports that it is deleting people's hard drives randomly. You may be better off going with our Operating System X."
Old 09-06-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All the HDDVD fanboys have been claiming the PS3 means nothing to the war.
And all of the BD fanboys have been claiming that it's the "true launch" and that it means EVERYTHING to the war. You're right, either it does or it doesn't.

If it does, this news is terrible for BD.

If it doesn't, I'd argue that BD is screwed from the start. Overpriced hardware, no extras, and quality that is (at best) approaching the cheaper HD DVD. Without PS3 penetration, what is there? A few mediocre Fox and Disney titles?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.