Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

After buying an HD-DVD title, are you selling the equivalent SD-DVD?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 08-28-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a trivial thread here, but I was wondering if those who have been accumulating HD-DVD's so far have also been unloading their equivalent SD-DVD's. As time goes on, I realize that I seldom watch the extra features that are on SD-DVD's, so the value proposition from that vantage point to me is mostly moot. Therefore, if I am purchasing Serenity or the Chronicles of Riddick on HD-DVD for example, does it make sense to sell my SD-DVD versions? I tend to resist double dipping, and based on what many are saying on the HD-DVD boards, once you see HD-DVD, it is hard to watch SD-DVD again. I welcome your thoughts...
Old 08-28-06, 03:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Considering almost every HD DVD has all the features the SD DVD had (more sometimes), yes, for the most part, I've been getting rid of the SD DVD versions.
Old 08-28-06, 03:12 PM
Banned

Yup. Gone. If I get around $6 for each, i'm paying around $14 for the HD DVD equivalent.

But then again, I was never one of those who said i wouldn't be double-dipping. I always said i would.
Old 08-28-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It depends. I'm unloading the following SD-DVDs:

Blazing Saddles
The Bourne Supremacy
Enter the Dragon
Happy Gilmore
Serenity

Each of those titles have the exact same extras on the HD-DVD release. I'm hanging onto the following however:

Apollo 13
GoodFellas
Lethal Weapon

In the case of Apollo 13, the SD-DVD has the score playing over the main menu, the booklet inside the case, and the trailer. None of those are included on the HD-DVD. GoodFellas came with the Scorcese boxset so I don't want a big gap in the thing. And Legal Wreckin has the director's cut on the SD-DVD. Even though I prefer the theatrical cut on the HD-DVD, I still wanna have both versions available.
Old 08-28-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on the title... some of them aren't worth much. And since I only have one HDTV (and HD-DVD player), I hang onto some of the SD stuff to play elsewhere in the house. That's one (minor) advantage to the Universal combo approach.
Old 08-28-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm dumping a good portion of my SD-DVD's right now to subsidize buying a player.

I'll amortize replacing my media over time, two-three a week.
Old 08-28-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I feel like selling the discs, even for $6 a pop, is a bit of a hassle unless I sell them all as one group. I am strongly considering donating them to the local library.
Old 08-28-06, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I feel like selling the discs, even for $6 a pop, is a bit of a hassle unless I sell them all as one group. I am strongly considering donating them to the local library.

Do what I did and trade it in at DVDPlanet for credit and use that credit to buy or pre-oreder HD-DVD's. its less hassle than trying to sell them individually
Old 08-28-06, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bluntman72
Do what I did and trade it in at DVDPlanet for credit and use that credit to buy or pre-oreder HD-DVD's. its less hassle than trying to sell them individually
but doesn't the fact that you have to pay shipping cut into that?
Old 08-28-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bluntman72
I gave up after seeing their $2 credit for Training Day. At that price, I'd rather give it away.
Old 08-28-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm pretty much getting next to nothing for my SD-DVDs and considering that I still have an upconversion unit in my bedroom..... I might as well keep them.

Hell... I paid an avg of $7-8 bucks for most of my DVDs via Columbia House.
Old 08-28-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My parents have inherited my grandmother's home in the West Virginia. Since we only go up there about once a month at most, we do not have in cable or anything up there. I am taking titles that are not worth much on trade in (Animal House, Sleepy Hollow, etc) up there to leave. That is also where 98% of my VHS collection is also.
Old 08-28-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I am trading them in to DVD Planet or selling them on Half.com.

There is the arguement that it is nice to have the DVD to watch in other places and I don't mind this option with the combo discs, but overall I would rather not have two copies of the same movie on my shelf.
Old 08-28-06, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could see selling the original Traffic release, but not the Criterion. Dazed and Confused would be exempt automatically as well.
Old 08-28-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I would also mention that if I decide to double dip on a movie that has exclusive extras on DVD like Dazed and Confused I will definitely keep the DVD as well.
Old 08-28-06, 09:32 PM

Hi,I am hoping soon to begin the crazy adventure into hdtv's and hd or blu ray dvds in the next year or so. I was thinkin that I would give away my actual dvd to a friend or family member. ... but as far as the dvd case am I the only one who think's standard dvd movies cases, along with the collectors edition boxes, and tv seasons(well still havent seen how the boxes will look for hd and blu ray dvds) just look alot nicer than those ugly hd and blu ray cases? and for those who already have them am i missing anything and in fact they are better? and how do they stack up and look on a shelf compared or with ur normal dvd cases?
thanks alot
Old 08-28-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think HD DVD cases are a big improvement. They are smaller and look great lined up on the shelf. If anything it makes the standard DVD cases look pretty ugly.
Old 08-28-06, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new cases are growing on me in less than 24 hours.
Old 08-28-06, 10:54 PM

I was actually thinking of creating a thread comparing the extras of the SD movies to the HD ones. That way everyone could be sure of what extras are on the HD DVDs and know beforehand if they want to unload the SD versions. Is it something worth doing?
Old 08-29-06, 01:07 AM
Banned by request

Yes! Definitely do that. For example, the upcoming releases of Dazed And Confused, Fear and Loathing, and Spartacus won't have the extras that the Criterion Collection editions have.
Old 08-29-06, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't gotten around to it yet, but for HD DVD purchases where I do happen to own the SD DVD I will sell or give away the old one. Actually, if I can get my act together I'd like to sell them before the release date of the HD DVD. But, for the most part, I plan to purchase titles I don't have on SD DVD.

So far as Y2J850's question about the cases, they're shorter, thinner, take less space on the shelf, and stack fine. What's not to like? Well, I don't really care for the curved spine, but the title is legible so it's ok.
Old 08-29-06, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
The new cases are growing on me in less than 24 hours.
They're distracting since they're sharing shelf space at the moment with SD-DVDs. But on their own, they look fine. I am curious to see what TV shows, multi-film boxsets, and 2-disc cases will all look like, but the regular HD-DVD packaging is cool once you get used to it.
Old 08-29-06, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
They're distracting since they're sharing shelf space at the moment with SD-DVDs. But on their own, they look fine. I am curious to see what TV shows, multi-film boxsets, and 2-disc cases will all look like, but the regular HD-DVD packaging is cool once you get used to it.

Hopefully the 2 disc cases will be exactly the same size as the 1 disc ones. 1 Disc on each side of the case.
Old 08-29-06, 02:10 AM
Banned by request

A single HD DVD case can hold up to 4 discs. There is a site somewhere that shows how it would work. As Leechboy mentioned, a double would have a disc on each side of the case. A triple or quadruple would have an insert holder attached to a hinge in the middle (like a lot of two discs sets do it in a single sized DVD case now). For a 3 HD DVD set, the insert would have a holder on one side. For 4 discs, the insert would hold a disc on each side.
Old 08-29-06, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been selling off my SD discs ever since I embarked on D-VHS 3 years ago.
Now that I'm buying HD-DVDs & Blu-Ray discs I've been cleaning house and selling off at an even greater rate. Coming this fall, at least in a beta format, the first batch of COMBO players will be released. I work in the HD filmmaking arena and currently my company is working with a leading hardware designer with this very venture. Beta testing is crucial and I will post more on my findings once actual players arrive. My exprience thus far is that D-Theater titles look a bit better, or in some cases identical to their HD-DVD counterparts. Blu-Ray is an entirely different story! Since Fox has yet to release any of their titles on Blu-Ray (some great titles do appear on D-Theater), I can only speak of overall quality of image integrity of the format itself. 25gigs DON'T CUT IT! The proposed 50 gig discs WILL NOT play on the current players so the early adopters are getting the royal flush from Sony. Hopefully the COMBO units will allow for the upcoming 50gig discs
and the overal picture quality of Blu-Ray will approach levels that are closer to HD-DVD...and beyond. D-Theater has a cleaner overall image, but HD-DVD can look simply amazing! More to come...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.