Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which movies wont you buy till they hit HD?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was about to order Closer but then I thought I'll just wait till it hit's HD. The same thing for the Incredibles and a few others. But I had no problem picking up Domino in SD.

Which films are you holding out for HD releases for instead of getting it now?

D
Old 06-04-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Superman Ultra Box-Set coming out later this year.
Old 06-04-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
For me, essentially every movie. I don't think it's worth dropping cash down on SD DVDs anymore, now that there's a better format out.
Old 06-04-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
For me, essentially every movie.
I'm almost of the same mindset, although I'll keep picking up DVDs I think are a really long way off for the high-definition treatment: really independent stuff like Anchor Bay's Cemetery Man, for instance, and TV-on-DVD releases. If there were something coming out that I had to have now, I'd pick it up on DVD, but...I really don't see much of anything like that on the horizon.
Old 06-04-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For most animated shows, I will probably continue to purchase the DVD versions of them. I can't imagine the difference is going to that noticeable. i.e. Simpsons, Family Guy, Adult Swim, etc...
Old 06-04-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
None of those shows are produced in HD anyway, as far as I know.
Old 06-04-06, 05:12 PM

X-men: The Last Stand. Whenever that comes out, I wont be getting the DVD

I'll also purchase all TV Season sets in HD. It got annoying having 6 discs for one season. It'll make things so much more convenient to have everything on 1 or maybe 2 discs
Old 06-04-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any day&date titles that are from HD DVD supporting studios.

The only dvds I'll be buying are stuff from BD supporting studios or smaller titles that will not debut until the core audience is built up more.
Old 06-04-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I'm almost of the same mindset, although I'll keep picking up DVDs I think are a really long way off for the high-definition treatment: really independent stuff like Anchor Bay's Cemetery Man, for instance, and TV-on-DVD releases. If there were something coming out that I had to have now, I'd pick it up on DVD, but...I really don't see much of anything like that on the horizon.
Considering I haven't bought a DVD in about a year, that's the reason why.
Old 06-04-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
For me, essentially every movie. I don't think it's worth dropping cash down on SD DVDs anymore, now that there's a better format out.
This is my mindset as well...I will occasionally pick one up here or there, but for the most part, I'm done with SD DVDs now. Just picked up a 360 today, so I will focus on some games, and at the end of the year will probably get an HD player or the add-on.
Old 06-04-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll pick up something if I think it's going to be a long while before it's out on HD.

For example, I picked up Delicatessen this past weekend. It took forever for it to come to regular DVD... I can't imagine how long it will take for high def.
Old 06-05-06, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

King Kong
Old 06-05-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I won't buy any SD DVD movies anymore.

I'll only get TV material that was shot on video or otherwise won't benefit from HD. MST3K is a perfect example.
Old 06-05-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm pretty much done buying regular DVDs for films. I'm sure there will be an occasional exception, but in general I will wait to get them on HD DVD or Blu-ray when if I finally get a player for that. The one exception is TV box sets. I'm not too worried about getting my copy of Venture Bros or Home Movies in HD and will buy most of those now.
Old 06-05-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I too am done buying regular DVDs. I did order Platoon 20th edition today, but that is my last purchase of a SD-DVD. From here on out HD-DVD or nothing.
Old 06-05-06, 05:00 PM

The Matrix Trilogy
King Kong
Blade Runner
Batman Begins

I won't buy any movies on DVD that I think will obviously look better in HD. I'd still buy most documentaries in DVD format since they are often filmed with lowend equipment.
Old 06-06-06, 04:15 AM
Cool New Member

I will not buy any movie on dvd. In fact, I am in the process of selling dvds as fast as I watch them. I will only buy hd dvd, and eventually blu-ray. However, I will still rent dvds. The reason is that I want to own my favorite films in a format that does true justice to the artistic vision of the filmmakers, or as close as possible. Also, I want to support high definition dvds and send the proper message to the studios: "my money is going to high definition on disc exclusively!"

Stan
Old 06-06-06, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
I held off on Serenity when it was released last year, because I knew if I ever got a HD player, that would be an early title- and it paid off.
lately, The New World was something I had a hard time passing up during its first weeks sales. The new editions of The Searchers and The Dirty Dozen I've had to pass on as well.

Basically the only things that are going to give me pause are a few Universal titles and some Warner titles. Paramount is a non issue at the moment, and I don't plan on seeing an affordable Bd player for some time.
Old 06-06-06, 07:45 AM

I will continue to buy SD-DVD until:
a) I get a HD player after a winner is declared in the format war,
b) HD discs coincide with, or released as fast as SD-DVD,
c) I see a movie in the theater that I think will blow me away in HD, otherwise I'll
get it in SD-DVD.
Old 06-06-06, 12:31 PM
Banned

Black Devil Doll From Hell
Old 06-06-06, 02:41 PM
LiK

i'm gonna continue to buy SD DVDs cuz prices will drop for them. i'll buy the SD for the extras but i'll get HD DVDs for the epic movies. i'm not really into watching dramas in HD
Old 06-06-06, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do not plan on getting an HD player any time soon (but mayget the 360 add-on) and if I do, I will only buy the epic films. I have no problem with DVD quality and am fine with my collection and most other movies.
Old 06-07-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aside from the fact that I haven't purchased a player yet (and probably won't until spring '07, at the earliest), I think it's too early for me to be refusing to buy stuff on SD. I can't imagine waiting around for years for a certain movie to hit HD-DVD, when there's a perfectly acceptable SD DVD available for $15 or so...

If they put out a HD version later, I can always just sell off my SD. Again, it's too early to start refusing to buy things hoping that they'll come out in HD, in my opinion. At least until there's some sign of a release plan, you may end up waiting 5+ years for something to come out. I'd rather just live life now.
Old 06-07-06, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason One
The one area I haven't made up my mind about is newer shows that are being shot in HD. I'd like to keep buying the Battlestar Galactica sets, but I'd also like to wait until it's out on HD DVD or Blu-ray. However, there's no telling how long it will take for such a release to happen.
Galactica Season 1 is rumored to be in the works from Universal for an HD DVD release at the end of this year. That's still unconfirmed, though.