Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Several Blu-ray players delayed; Samsung's apparently still on target for late June

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Several Blu-ray players delayed; Samsung's apparently still on target for late June

Old 05-30-06, 10:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://ps3.qj.net/Blu-ray-Not-Launch...g/49/aid/46643

Apparently, two behemoth companies are planning on delaying the release of their respective Blu-ray products. The two companies? Pioneer and Panasonic. The new launch date? After the launch of the Sony PS3.

This tidbit was exposed during the annual High End Trade Fair in Munich, Germany. As Pioneer showed off their Blu-ray disc player, tagged as the BDP-HD1 (left pic), which they announced during the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, some Pioneer officials said that they are looking at November 2006 as a possible launch date. When in November? After the PS3 launch. The people over at Panasonic also said the same thing about their Blu-ray innovation, the DMP-BD10 (right pic).

There are other vague reports saying that the Sony BDP-S1 would be arrive by mid-August 2006 and that Sony has started replicating Blu-ray discs in the U.S. Whether the delays over at Pioneer and Panasonic has a connection with the Sony Blu-ray discs-replicating affair, is something that we can only speculate about.

As for the price tags of the said Blu-ray products, the Sony variant will go for roughly USD$1,000 ($999.99 to be exact), the Pioneer one has a reported price tag of USD$1,800, and the Panasonic Blu-ray player will sell for roughly USD$1,500. And how much is the PS3 again?
Old 05-30-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Heh. May be Sony want to boost sale of PS3 and take away a little bit profit from people who want to have Blu-Ray player as soon as possible.
Old 05-30-06, 11:05 AM
Banned

Samsung will still come out next month, AFAIK. I guess that would mean it would go head to head with the Toshiba models and the RCA.

Again, before anyone jumps down my throat on the BD side, i said "possible."
Old 05-30-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pioneer announced that timeframe months ago. We haven't been sure they'd even get it out this year, as I recall. This may actually move it up, not back.
Old 05-30-06, 12:58 PM

That's wrong. Until now the Pioneer was set for release on June 25. The Panasonic sometime in September. Any other thoughts of later dates were speculation. May turn out to be true, but it was speculation and rumor nonetheless.
Old 05-30-06, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hondo21
That's wrong. Until now the Pioneer was set for release on June 25. The Panasonic sometime in September. Any other thoughts of later dates were speculation. May turn out to be true, but it was speculation and rumor nonetheless.
Nope. Pioneer had pushed it back. Spiky is right. It's been that date for a while.
Old 05-30-06, 09:15 PM

Not where I've been reading. Like on dvdfile.com, in Dan Ramer's articles. He's been following all the developments pretty closely, and posted about the June 25 date as recently as May 10.

If Pioneer officially delayed before that, then I guess maybe he missed it.
Old 05-31-06, 03:37 PM
Cool New Member

either way i'm sure its painful that sony essentially undercuts their players with their heavily subsidized ps3. i know niche market high end buyers will still go for the stand alone player, but it doesn't help to have their market sliced thinner. it makes their next product launch harder, they can't launch their "budget" bluray player for the same price as a ps3, that would be a bit ludicrous. and thats some jump for a price cut to beat the ps3 from 1-1.8k yeesh
Old 06-02-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like the Sony BDP-S1 has definitely slipped to Aug 15, 06.

As you can read here.

And also on Sony Style Product Info for BDP-S1:

Targeted Availability: On or About August 15, 2006
Old 06-02-06, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by awmurray
Looks like the Sony BDP-S1 has definitely slipped to Aug 15, 06.

As you can read here.

And also on Sony Style Product Info for BDP-S1:
I still wouldn't say definitlely. That Sony Style date has been up for a couple months now. Some retailers believe they will ship at the end of June with the Samsung, but there is no confirmation from Sony of that either. The August 15 date give Sony wiggle room if they need it.
Old 06-05-06, 03:01 PM
Banned

Apparently the Samsung is now being delayed from Crutchfield...

Wonder what that means.
Old 06-05-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazon.com has an August 7 ship date for the Samsung. August 4 is the ship date they have for the Sony.
Old 06-05-06, 09:34 PM
Banned

Yep. Looks like it's delayed. CC and Onecall (in addition to Crutchfield) are all saying late July.

Mod...can we change the thread title to ALL BD players delayed?
Old 06-05-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe Blu-ray will not been seen until sate Sept. putting HD-DVD ahead of the game for good.
Old 06-05-06, 11:05 PM
Banned

So now it's Samsung in July, Sony in August and Pioneer in November. Nothing about Panasonic yet, I guess.
Old 06-05-06, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Is this July date for Samsung only for online purchases? Will BB have them in 2 weeks?
Old 06-05-06, 11:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bruceames
Is this July date for Samsung only for online purchases? Will BB have them in 2 weeks?
Nope. It looks like everyone is starting to delay them...starting today I guess.
Old 06-06-06, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whoa. Bluray's gonna have some serious problems, giving up that kind of head start. Even Blitz might lose it.
Old 06-06-06, 03:22 AM

It looks like the Mod should change the title of the thread to "Bluray's Launch Delayed till August!"
Old 06-06-06, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bruceames
Whoa. Bluray's gonna have some serious problems, giving up that kind of head start. .
as much as I wouldn't mind that being the case ( I have the Tosh and am mostly very happy with it and especially the format in general), I really don't think a few months head start is enough to stick a fork in Blu-ray.
The biggest reason is Toshiba simply seems incapable of producing enough players to take advantage of this golden opportunity, which is a shame.
I'm sure Panasonic, Pioneer, and a few others are looking at the situation here and seeing a huge missed opportunity as well.

The biggest plus that I can see is the Tosh itself will at least have a good number of it's bugs ironed out via firmware by the time the first Bds ship, and unless they perform flawlessly, they won't sell many to anyone besides the committed Bd fanboys.

but the situation might change come Novemeber, when MGM starts busting out the Bond films, Fox gets out the X-men franchise, and Bd 50s are being reliably produced (which actually may or may not happen).

Also, Sony is going to be marketing the hell out of this, whether it actually delivers what has been promised for so long or not. If you thought Bose had done a good job of selling itself to joe 6 pack, just wait.
Old 06-06-06, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, this lead means little. Toshiba is rolling out very slowly and BD has a huge advantage in support. As mentioned many times these first generation players from both sides will have little to do with deciding the war. Next year will be the year to start to decide that.
Old 06-06-06, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The manual for the Samsung is available online.
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...AA_BK_0602.pdf

I noticed a couple of things. 1080p is HDMI only (I thought it could be output component as well), it does have 5.1 analog output, it can not play DVD+R which is kind of a bummer and as expected it can not decode Dolby Digtal Plus or 2 channels of TrueHD.

In the sound department this is an inferior player which in my opinion is a much bigger deal since most anyone with a halfway decent receiver can take advantage of DD+ compared to the tiny fraction of people that have TVs that can accept a 1080p signal.
Old 06-06-06, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Tosh stepped up production recently and that the players are no longer hard to find. And I know that poor little Tosh ain't gonna do much in 3-4 months before the big jailbreak, but there's more to it than that. Bluray's continuing rollout problems coupled with Tosh's amped up production and growing good rep. with the players and with HD DVD has me envisioning Paramount, Fox, MGM, Disney, Lionsgate and some manufactures supporting HD DVD by then. Hell, I think some might abandon BR altogether.

It's not just the number of units sold when Goliath breaks loose, it's the rep too.
Old 06-06-06, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_SD
but the situation might change come Novemeber, when MGM starts busting out the Bond films, Fox gets out the X-men franchise, and Bd 50s are being reliably produced (which actually may or may not happen).
I suspect that the reason for this delay is that even BD-25s aren't being produced reliably yet.
Old 06-06-06, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
I suspect that the reason for this delay is that even BD-25s aren't being produced reliably yet.
that could be. we'll see if thats the case in another two wee- er...six weeks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.