Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Several Blu-ray players delayed; Samsung's apparently still on target for late June

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Several Blu-ray players delayed; Samsung's apparently still on target for late June

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
If the product was 2 year old, i would say thats normal. Its been on the market for months. That doesnt happen, especially with something so "high end" (i use that term very loosely).
I think "discount" or possibly "sale" might be a more suitable term.

Liquidation.. in terms of retails sales translates more into selling a product far below cost in order fufill long-term debts or outstanding obligations.
Old 06-09-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If the product was 2 year old, i would say thats normal. Its been on the market for months. That doesnt happen, especially with something so "high end" (i use that term very loosely).
You think thats bad, Pioneer already put their Blu-ray player on clearance and its not even released yet.

Its been possible to get HD DVD players around $430 online since they came out. That is, when you can actually find them in stock.
Old 06-09-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
i hear hd-dvd players are being liquated at a lot of stores?
I heard on Fox News that we're winning the "War on Terror".

You can't believe everything you hear.

Last edited by Josh Z; 06-09-06 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-09-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
actually, I hope BD gets to the market soon just so we can move from the speculation that it is 1,000,000,000x better than HD-DVD to the "my tv must be messed up because it doesn't really look any better than HD-DVD".

plus, I really can't wait for the PS3 to come out and take over the world with its breathtaking BD capabilities that will make even NASA take a gasp.

I just hope that my wife can contain herself around the PS3 since it CAN do everything. I don't want to be replaced by a machine.
Old 06-10-06, 12:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL, I love the rebuttals. I also cannot wait for the ps3 to be released. I went from GOTTA HAVE IT, to Ill pick it up eventually (once the E3 announcements were made) to the now "Launch day? Perhaps.". I think once BR players are out, and good software lineup is available flick wise, we'll be seeing some good comparisons going on. Only weeks away till i get to see BR in 1080p in person =)
Old 06-10-06, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

-notrolls-
Old 06-10-06, 02:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RoboDad
-notrolls-
Do like Digi does: block the troll.

Digitalfreaknyc: Blitz-free since May 2006.
Old 06-10-06, 08:56 AM

p.s. - i hear hd-dvd players are being liquated at a lot of stores? Ive seen price reports of 400-430 for the player new in box in a lot of retail stores...
Old 06-10-06, 09:06 AM

'

I certainly hope the mods have noted your trolling here. This comment was made specifically to illicit a response, specifically the last line.

Sony has made a fortune on people that think a high price tag = high end. Clearly you take your Kool-Aid in Blu berry.
Old 06-10-06, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad
-notrolls-
I hope this wasn't in reference to my post. I was just having a little fun. I actually plan on buying Blu-Ray too.
Old 06-10-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
You sincerely have no idea what you're talking about. Please cut it out.
Old 06-10-06, 12:01 PM
Banned

I shall!
Old 06-10-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Pathetic stuff, and yet I laugh.
Old 06-10-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Best Buy had the signage up for the Samsung Blue Ray player. I took a pic w/ my camera phone. If I can figure out how to get it hosted, I'll post the pic.
Old 06-10-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I hope this wasn't in reference to my post. I was just having a little fun. I actually plan on buying Blu-Ray too.
It wasn't directed toward you at all. It was directed toward another poster whose bizarre claims about "liquidations" were so obviously only intended to get himself some undeserved attention.
Old 06-12-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Forgive if this has already been discussed somewhere else in this Forum, I'm late to the party...

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17627
BDP-S1 now slated for August launch

Sony has revealed that its BDP-S1 Blu-Ray disc player will now be launching in mid-August, and not later this month as previously suggested - with electronics giant Pioneer also announcing a delay for its own player.

According to the Sony Style website, the BDP-S1 will now ship "on or about August 15, 2006." The USD 1000 player was originally given a June 30th launch date, which was later changed to July.

Pioneer has also abandoned the proposed June release date for its BDP-HD1 player, apparently due to interoperability issues. It will now launch in September at a price point of USD 1500 - a drop of USD 300 from the MRP originally suggested.

"We decided to hold off for bit just to make sure everything works well relative to all the various studios that are planning to ship BD titles," commented Pioneer's Andy Parsons.

"Launching a new format is fairly big effort, and you have such a broad spectrum of capabilities with the media itself, including BD-Java, content protection layers and various authoring tools that are being brought up to speed."

The delays raise questions about the development process of the Blu-Ray format - and concerns over whether the format will be able to build up significant momentum in time for the launch of the PlayStation 3 this November. However, Samsung is still scheduled to launch its Blu-Ray player on June 25th, around the same time as the first movie titles will appear in shops.
Old 06-12-06, 01:50 PM
Banned

Just cause you're "late" doesn't mean you shouldn't read the first posts in the thread.

Your post was kinda like going to BD's birthday party, getting there and then asking if anyone knew it was BD's birthday.
Old 06-12-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I apologize.

Was it or wasn't it BD's brithday? I didn't get an invite, I just saw the cars outside.
Old 06-12-06, 02:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pinata242
I apologize.

Was it or wasn't it BD's brithday? I didn't get an invite, I just saw the cars outside.
Did you bring a present? If you did, it is...and you can give it to me.
Old 06-12-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Did you bring a present? If you did, it is...and you can give it to me.
I might have some gum in the car, but that's about it. I didn't come prepared, I just like gatherings.
Old 06-12-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wait a sec...We were supposed to bring gifts? Sony said they'd be happy if I just showed up.
Someone give me a lift to Walmart.

D
Old 06-13-06, 09:12 AM
Banned

Take this with a grain of salt:

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=3626

13 June 2006 - A Samsung spokesperson has confirmed to Pocket-lint that the release of its Blu-ray player has now been pushed back until September.

Recent reports have suggested that Samsung's player was scheduled to come out on time later this month.

As we reported yesterday, Sony and Pioneer have pushed back the release dates of their much-anticipated Blu-Ray players.

Sony's BDP-S1 has an estimated ship date of 15 August, with an expected price tag of $1000.

This means that it is scheduled to launch almost 4 months later than expected.

Pioneer's player will emerge after Sony's, in September, and now has an estimated price of $1500, which is $300 less than originally announced.

News of the delay has been greeted by speculation that the development of the format is not quite going to plan in the build-up to Sony's PS3.

The company announced that the PS3 would support Blu-ray in August 2004.

It's widely recognised that the adoption of DVD technology in the PS2 kick-started the spread of that format, so it's hoped that Sony can do the same for Blu-ray, which is the rival format to HD-DVD.
Old 06-13-06, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
13 June 2006 - A Samsung spokesperson has confirmed to Pocket-lint that the release of its Blu-ray player has now been pushed back until September.
DAMN! If true, we might not see Batman Begins until Septemeber on HDDVD.

In all seriousness, I am expecting this. Like others have said, I dont see how Sony and Pioneer have to delay their players, but Samsung does not. I think they might just be waiting as long as they have to for an announcement.

I guess we will see soon enough.
Old 06-13-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is it too early to declare a winner by TKO?
Old 06-13-06, 09:22 AM
Banned

Again...this is all speculative...but who knows.

I've also heard rumors that they're having a hard time getting the PS3 to read BD discs. Again, rumors.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.