DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Info on DTS HD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/466974-info-dts-hd.html)

boe 05-28-06 01:27 PM

Info on DTS HD?

I see that some production/editing software is out for DTS HD. I also see a European HD DVD 2046 is scheduled to have the DTS HD track.

I was curious if there was any word on what the first US DTS HD movie was going to be or when it was coming out? Any word on which players and receivers were scheduled to have the technology on board?

Thanks

PS. I'm just as anxious for info on Dolby Digital Plus or DD True HD on HD/BR Discs. Not sure if I should start another thread.

HiFiLux 05-30-06 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by boe
I see that some production/editing software is out for DTS HD. I also see a European HD DVD 2046 is scheduled to have the DTS HD track.

I was curious if there was any word on what the first US DTS HD movie was going to be or when it was coming out? Any word on which players and receivers were scheduled to have the technology on board?

Thanks

PS. I'm just as anxious for info on Dolby Digital Plus or DD True HD on HD/BR Discs. Not sure if I should start another thread.

As far as I know - all first gen players from both Bluray and HD DVD camps will only decode the DTS "core" from DTS-HD sound tracks.

None of the first gen players will be able to send the DTS-HD streams over HDMI 1.3 either, since they only have 1.1 or 1.2 HDMI ports.

This may change with firmware updates, but that is how it stands right now - AFAIK

darkside 05-30-06 07:50 AM

I don't think HD DVD has the ability to extract the 5.1 cores. That is something only Blu-ray is designed to do. With HD DVD the player will have to be designed to decode or pass the HD DTS signal and that is something that won't happen until HDMI 1.3.

HiFiLux 05-30-06 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
I don't think HD DVD has the ability to extract the 5.1 cores. That is something only Blu-ray is designed to do. With HD DVD the player will have to be designed to decode or pass the HD DTS signal and that is something that won't happen until HDMI 1.3.

FOR clarification again:

NEITHER Bluray or HD DVD first gen players will be able to decode 5.1 DTS-HD tracks.

BOTH Bluray and HD DVD first gen players will decode 5.1 DTS "core" audio only, from a DTS-HD track.

NEITHER Bluray or HD DVD first gen players will be able to send DTS-HD soundtracks out to an external AVR via HDMI, since none of them have HDMI 1.3, which is required for this to be achieved.

While the HD DVD players have advantages over the Bluray players, when dealing with DD+ and TruHD - their handling of DTS-HD is identical.

Josh Z 05-30-06 09:34 AM

I don't think HD DVD has the ability to extract the 5.1 cores. That is something only Blu-ray is designed to do.

Incorrect.

darkside 05-30-06 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Incorrect.

I stand corrected. I'm sure I mixed up something I read.

boe 05-30-06 10:18 AM

So much to wait for - 2nd gen, BR/HD DVD players, a conclusing to the format war or ubiquitous hybrid players, HDMI 1.3, 1080p 60fps playback, DTS HD and True HD players and receivers/preamps. I'd love to buy all of this now. This is killing my DVD collection as I know it should all be here within a year but no point in buying any of my stuff until then. At first I wanted all that for my action and sci-fi films but I'm also starting to collect TV series as well. It would take up a lot less physical space if I could get them on a higher capacity DVD.

The studios want us to buy more DVDs. I think many of us who used to double dip to get better audio or video will now stand fast until we can get a fully produced DVD - no more OK we released it at 1080i, not 1080p but we didn't bother with DTS - we'll try and get you to buy that a year from now or it's DD but we won't release the True DD version for another year. They already can predict which will be the popular ones for example if they released 17 versions of underworld, leon-the professional, hellboy, etc., they can probably guess we would like the FULLY mastered copy and would be willing to double dip for it,

HiFiLux 05-30-06 10:36 AM

I stand corrected. I'm sure I mixed up something I read.

No Probs. :)

mbs 05-30-06 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by boe
So much to wait for ... 1080p 60fps playback

1080p60 output is not coming any time soon. The bandwidth needed for that is simply massive and neither technology has the technology to support it (and likely never will).

Spiky 05-30-06 11:11 AM

1080p60 is the standard for all the 1080p TVs so far. Maybe you are thinking 24 frame disc storage, mbs. Playback is 60Hz.

mbs 05-30-06 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
1080p60 is the standard for all the 1080p TVs so far. Maybe you are thinking 24 frame disc storage, mbs. Playback is 60Hz.

Yeah, I thought that is what they meant, waiting for 1080p60 (instead of today's 1080p24) sources. No one needs to wait for 1080p displays, they are out today.

HiFiLux 05-30-06 11:29 AM

Actually while 1080p60 "display" is the standard for all 1080 sets (other than 1080p50), 1080i60 is actually the standard for the inputs on almost all these said same sets, no?

RoboDad 05-30-06 11:52 AM

Yes and no. Most 1080p60 sets still use 1080i60 inputs, although the number of set equipped with 1080p60 inputs is growing, and will probably be the norm, rather than the exception, by the end of the year.

Of course, as has already been discussed here ad nauseum, when the source is 1080p24, it makes no difference whether the transmission is 1080p60 or 1080i60. All of the information for all of the frames is still present in the signal and the original image can be displayed with no loss of detail and no artifacts, as long as the TV is capable of properly de-interlacing the image (as most 1080p60 sets are).

quickfire 05-30-06 04:26 PM

I was under the assumption that Blu-Ray will not decode any of the new audio formats.....It cannot decode DD+ or DTSHD!!!!!It will only decode and pass normal DTS and DD!!!!!!!

mbs 05-30-06 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by quickfire
I was under the assumption that Blu-Ray will not decode any of the new audio formats.....It cannot decode DD+ or DTSHD!!!!!It will only decode and pass normal DTS and DD!!!!!!!

Correct, for the first generation players (well, at least for the Samsung and Sony players). They don't have any on-board decoders for the HD formats.

Supermallet 06-07-06 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by quickfire

The first generation of Blu-Ray PLAYERS will not decode or pass any HD audio. The next gen, with HDMI 1.3 will. Blu-ray as a TECHNOLOGY has the ability to contain HD audio, and pass it to a player.

digitalfreaknyc 06-07-06 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The first generation of Blu-Ray PLAYERS will not decode or pass any HD audio. The next gen, with HDMI 1.3 will. Blu-ray as a TECHNOLOGY has the ability to contain HD audio, and pass it to a player.

...on paper.

Supermallet 06-07-06 10:17 PM

Do you have proof that Blu-ray cannot contain any HD audio?

Blitz6Speed 06-07-06 11:34 PM

He doesnt. And by that lame argument hes trying to make, HD-DVD can do 1080p.. on paper.. Again, its pointless argueing with these fanboys. Common sense escapes them.

Supermallet 06-07-06 11:37 PM

I wouldn't call him a fanboy, just an ardent HD-DVD supporter. Just as I am not a Blu-ray fanboy, but an ardent supporter.

darkside 06-08-06 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
He doesnt. And by that lame argument hes trying to make, HD-DVD can do 1080p.. on paper.. Again, its pointless argueing with these fanboys. Common sense escapes them.

rotfl

pot meet kettle

Josh Z 06-08-06 06:56 AM

Do you have any proof that Blu-Ray movie discs will actually function in a Blu-Ray player? I'm still waiting for them to get that far.

ShagMan 06-08-06 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Do you have any proof that Blu-Ray movie discs will actually function in a Blu-Ray player? I'm still waiting for them to get that far.

:lol: good one JoshZ, that made me snort some water I was drinking :)

Spiky 06-08-06 10:05 AM

I wouldn't call him a fanboy, just an ardent HD-DVD supporter. Just as I am not a Blu-ray fanboy, but an ardent supporter.

:brickwl2:

Please, just kill me now.

maingon 06-08-06 11:20 AM

whats gonna be the big difference in DTS HD?