Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What Movies Can Be HD

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

What Movies Can Be HD

Old 05-24-06, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Movies Can Be HD

With the HD players and titles now arriving, I know I will eventually purchase one, but I would like to wait till prices drop.
In the meantime I will probably slow down on my DVD purchases and wait to buy the movies on HD DVD.
During this waiting period, I thought it would be a good time to buy some classics I want.
My question is which movies can be HD? Doesn't the movie have to be originally filmed in HD? Or can anyone movie be converted to HD?
I don't want to buy a title and then find out it will be available in HD.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-24-06, 01:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by druryd
Or can anyone movie be converted to HD?
simple question: simple answer: yes.
Old 05-24-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 254 Likes on 177 Posts
My question is which movies can be HD?
Nearly everything. 35mm film, which most movies are shot on, has much higher resolution than high-definition video.

It's just a matter of scanning some high-quality film elements, and most studios have been transferring their movies in high-definition when they're putting together a DVD release. Even movies that are 50 years old, obscure low-budget movies, and even old TV shows like Hogan's Heroes can take advantage of what high-definition video has to offer if they're transferred the right way.
Old 05-24-06, 01:28 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

During this waiting period, I thought it would be a good time to buy some classics I want.

My question is which movies can be HD?
Every movie made, if mastered properly, will look better in HD.

Doesn't the movie have to be originally filmed in HD?
No. Film has MUCH more resolution than current HD (1080p) can provide.

Or can anyone movie be converted to HD?
Any movie shot on film stock can be mastered in HD and (if properly mastered) will look better than the SD master. The only cases which will not benefit from HD (likely) are those shot on digital tapes that are not HD.

Most all titles will be available in HD (eventually).
Old 05-24-06, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by mbs

No. Film has MUCH more resolution than current HD (1080p) can provide.

however, I still can't wait to see how TODD-AO/70mm films will look on HiDef discs
Old 05-24-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tron was shot in 70mm. That's gonna be a must buy when it hits HD.

D
Old 05-24-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Derrich
Tron was shot in 70mm. That's gonna be a must buy when it hits HD.
Really? Wow, that'll be cool. Love that movie!
Old 05-24-06, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the info everyone, guess I'll hold off on buying any DVDs for a while or buy a HD player sooner.
Thanks Again!
Old 05-24-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Would it be true that a movie shot in 1080p HD like Sin City won't look any better than it will in HD since that is the source? As long as compression isn't a problem, I think HD will be it for SC. Even if you wanted to upscale it higher, that could be done in the video player.
Old 05-25-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In a sense, Adam Tyner's post sums it all. But I'll add in a few more chips.

As far as I know, the highest film scanner widely available for 35mm have resolution of 4k. That's much much more than HD resolution, and I think film resolution can still be higher than that as long as the grain in the film is fine enough.

As for Drexl's question, a movie shot in 1080p would still be better on film compared to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray (at least at this point when no format can display 1080p yet), because film still can show picture in higher resolution than any home video format today.
Old 05-25-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by eedoon
As for Drexl's question, a movie shot in 1080p would still be better on film compared to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray (at least at this point when no format can display 1080p yet), because film still can show picture in higher resolution than any home video format today.
A movie shot digitally and then transferred to film undergoes a generation loss, which is compounded with subsequent generations for the release prints shipped to theaters.

All other factors being equal, a movie shot digitally is best projected digitally, and a movie shot on film is best projected on film.
Old 05-25-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That is true, but I since no home video format can display 1080p yet, the picture quality will degrade because of less resolution. Sin City are best shown on a DLP cinema, but a conventional cinema is still better than HD-DVD/Blu-Ray in terms of picture quality.
Old 05-25-06, 02:49 PM

That is true, but I since no home video format can display 1080p yet, the picture quality will degrade because of less resolution. Sin City are best shown on a DLP cinema, but a conventional cinema is still better than HD-DVD/Blu-Ray in terms of picture quality.
that maybe true, but a film like 'Mission: Impossible 3' with some scenes were shot in HiDef and others on standard 35mm film - the results even when viewed in DLP can vary considerably. Whether it was the intended effect, the DLP presentation suffered from some shots being grainy and/or colors looking washed out or fleshtones looking yellow-ish.

Scary Movie 4 (while shot in HiDef), DLP's overally presentation looked very video-ish.

MI3 on the otherhand, had a overrall "film like" appearence for it's DLP screening.
Old 05-25-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is true, but I since no home video format can display 1080p yet, the picture quality will degrade because of less resolution.
This is a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between 1080i and 1080p.

Both 1080i and 1080p use the exact same resolution: 1920x1080 pixels. The only difference is that one is interlaced while one is progressive.

On a 1080p display (and yes there are some available now), a 1080i signal from an HD-DVD player can be deinterlaced to form 1080p frames with no loss.

The data on the HD-DVD disc is stored in 1080p format. It's just transmitted in interlaced format and re-assembled by the display. What you see on the screen is true 1080p.
Old 05-26-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But 1080i will still suffer from motion artifact, am I right?

If HD-DVD disc can store 1080p, then you are right all along. It's just the display factor that can't show the movie optimally.
Old 05-26-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, there is no motion artifact. HD DVDs (and BDs) are encoded at 1080p24, not 1080p60. Transmitting that image to a TV at 1080i60 means that every frame is present in the signal, in its entirety. It is up to the TV to restore it to its original form. Some TVs will not be up to that task, but most will have no problem with it.
Old 05-26-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When you send a 1080i signal to a 1080p display, it reassembled into 1080p. There are no motion artifacts.

Motion artifacts will only occur on an interlaced display, and will occur regardless of which format you play on it. The display itself is the limiting factor.
Old 05-27-06, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I see. Thanks for clearing up guys.
Old 05-31-06, 03:16 PM
Cool New Member

depends on the ability of the tv to really process the 1080i into 1080p. it may cheat. we've seen that in current gen scalers and stuff.

as for quality, film has many more mega pixels of potential resolution than hd, let alone imax of 70mm. its how even old classic films look stunning when restored and transfered to dvd, let alone hd.

what films will look like garbage? silly films that used dv cams. like 28 days later, which looked like garbage in the theater too, the lack of resolution was simply disturbing.

a stunning example of how old film trumped newer tape is startrek tv series. look at the original series restored on dvd. its clarity is amazing as its from film. and by any standard the next generation looks soft and video like.