Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD-DVD audio...how is yours hooked up?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD-DVD audio...how is yours hooked up?

Old 05-10-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a manual online?
Old 05-10-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Is there a manual online?
I cant link it here, but go to value electronics homepage and its there under the A1 picture.
Old 05-10-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I have been trying to get the 5.1 analog to work but its just not happening for me. I just can't get my sub to match the output that I get using the digital coax. I like the analog for everything but the sub. if I could get this to match the digital I would be in heaven.
You may have to adjust the relative levels of all your other channels down. The A1's analog speaker settings run on a scale from -12 (lowest) to 0 (highest). Set the sub for 0 and all the other speakers somewhere around the -6 midpoint, then use a sound level meter to adjust the other five channels until you find the spot where the loudness of the subwoofer at 0 sounds right in relation to all of the other channels.

When you're done, your receiver's default volume setting for the analog input may be higher than the default volume setting for the digital input to achieve the same result. This is normal. You'll just have to remember to compensate accordingly whenever you use the analog connection.

Another option is that some receiver models (notably Denon) allow you to boost the 5.1 analog input's bass channel at the receiver independently of any of the other channels. Check your manual or your setup menus to see if that's possible.
Old 05-10-06, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
When you're done, your receiver's default volume setting for the analog input may be higher than the default volume setting for the digital input to achieve the same result. This is normal. You'll just have to remember to compensate accordingly whenever you use the analog connection.
Yes, this is why I said the A1 internal controls are virtually useless (at least for some people), because I HATE having to adjust the volume when switching back to my dish or something.

I forget most of the time and just about blow my speakers. Luckily, my sub has a dial on the back to increase it manually....By doing this, it also increased the lfe on my dish receiver and 360, but its not bad at all.
Old 05-10-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm always manually tinkering with the dials on my subwoofer. I adjust it movie to movie. Doom for instance had way too much bass and I had to turn it down.
Old 05-10-06, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
You may have to adjust the relative levels of all your other channels down. The A1's analog speaker settings run on a scale from -12 (lowest) to 0 (highest). Set the sub for 0 and all the other speakers somewhere around the -6 midpoint, then use a sound level meter to adjust the other five channels until you find the spot where the loudness of the subwoofer at 0 sounds right in relation to all of the other channels.

Another option is that some receiver models (notably Denon) allow you to boost the 5.1 analog input's bass channel at the receiver independently of any of the other channels. Check your manual or your setup menus to see if that's possible.
I have to get a sound level meter but I currently have my speakers set at -8 and the sub at 0 in the Toshiba. my Pioneer receiver allows for a +/-10db for the sub which I have set at +10db. the bass is there but when I switch over to digital its just better.

the other thing, when I use digital my volume level sits around -35db on my receiver display while when I use analog I have to run it around -12db in order to match the digital. does this sound right?
Old 05-10-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do any of you have a receiver that allows for volume adjustments for each input? You could set the HDDVD input to a higher volume to compensate for the low analog connection.

The LFE channel often needs quite a boost to match the other levels, it could easily need to be 10db higher in the settings. Chris, those differences are pretty extreme, but they could be correct depending on your receiver and the A1.

Also, it is very difficult to judge loudness of bass compared to higher frequencies. You all really should get SPL meters to set audio properly.

In the A1 menu, the speakers need to be set to small and the sub needs to be turned on.
Old 05-10-06, 06:32 PM

Do any of you have a receiver that allows for volume adjustments for each input? You could set the HDDVD input to a higher volume to compensate for the low analog connection.
Thats the issue...alot of receivers disable control this for the direct analog connection. Mine does.
Old 05-10-06, 07:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Thats the issue...alot of receivers disable control this for the direct analog connection. Mine does.
Mine doesn't. But the issue is (I believe) that analog is LOUDER...not lower. no?
Old 05-11-06, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Mine doesn't. But the issue is (I believe) that analog is LOUDER...not lower. no?
On mine, when connecting analog, it had alot less lfe than the digital coax connection. I didnt see a difference in the sound volume.
Old 05-11-06, 08:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
On mine, when connecting analog, it had alot less lfe than the digital coax connection. I didnt see a difference in the sound volume.
That's funny because I had the exact OPPOSITE experience. I had to turn down my sub.
Old 05-13-06, 10:01 AM
Banned

I was looking to get the "right" type of cables for this hook-up. Right now I'm just using what I have and what I can. Anyone have any suggestions? Do they make 6 cables bundled for this sort of thing?
Old 05-13-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Do they make 6 cables bundled for this sort of thing?
Acoustic Research makes some (model no. PR-136):

Old 05-14-06, 03:24 PM

I'm very new on this. So should I connect my HD-A1 using the 5.1 analog or buy an optical cable?
Old 05-14-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Right now it would be better to go with the analog. If sound quality is your goal. If your goal is easiest setup, then optical will be fine.

Freak,
You just want 6 analog audio cables. If you look for a specialized set, you may get gouged on price since not too many have been marketed. Buying 3 pair may be cheaper. Just pay close attention when you plug them in, maybe add some additional colors to differentiate.

Frankly, analog audio is the easiest signal to transmit via copper. Almost any cable you have will work.
Old 05-15-06, 02:09 PM

I still haven't got my analog working to my liking. I did notice that I had the dreaded "hum" in my sub when using analog which I just fixed today(in the rain). Comcast grounded it to my outside hose line and I just moved it to my grounding rods and it stopped. I can atleast crank up the volume and not have that annoying sound distracting me from the movie.
Old 05-18-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny how following code makes things work. Safer, too.
Old 05-18-06, 02:42 PM

ok, I just got a sound level meter and have a few questions. should I reset everything on both the XA1 and my receiver back to 0 before I start including speaker distances on the XA1? then from this point should I do my calibrations from the receiver or the XA1? which would be the better way to go?
Old 05-18-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speaker distance should be set first. Don't bother reseting this.

If there is obviously an issue with the bass being much louder or quieter than the rest as some of the discussion has indicated, it may help to start somewhere other than zero, with the sub channel at +5 and the others at -5 or something like that. It doesn't really matter where you start, as long as you are able to set each channel properly from there. Might be easier to keep track of it if you start them all at zero.

I'm guessing you are going to use the analog output from the XA1, so you would use the settings in the XA1. If you use the digital output, use the receiver controls.
Old 05-18-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ok, I just got a sound level meter and have a few questions. should I reset everything on both the XA1 and my receiver back to 0 before I start including speaker distances on the XA1?
If this is the first time you've ever used a sound level meter and haven't previously calibrated your receiver with one before, then I would say yes.

then from this point should I do my calibrations from the receiver or the XA1? which would be the better way to go?
You're going to have to calibrate both, because any source other than the HD-DVD player is going to need your receiver calibrated. The HD-DVD player's settings only affect content played on the HD-DVD player itself (obviously) via the 5.1 analog connections.

I recommend hooking the HD-DVD player up by both coax/Toslink and 5.1 analog. First calibrate the receiver settings by playing Avia or Digital Video Essentials and using the player's digital output. When you're done, switch to the analog outputs and calibrate those within the HD-DVD player so that they hit the same results on the sound level meter.

Also, I would trust the test tones on Avia before trusting those that the HD-A1 generates.
Old 05-18-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaker distance should be set first. Don't bother reseting this.
He mentioned setting speaker distances in the Toshiba. He's going to have to do that anyway. He should use the same distance settings in the Toshiba that he's using in his receiver.
Old 05-18-06, 04:37 PM

I currently have both analog/digital coax connected to my receiver. the digital has a great sound but the analog just isn't right. that's why I finally picked up the meter.

I have had the speaker distances from my receiver copied over to the Toshiba since day one.

about the crossover settings, would I be better off calibrating the analog from within my receiver or the XA1, or do I do one and copy the settings over to the other? this is where I think I'm confused. ex; do I set everything to 0 in both my receiver and the XA1 and then calibrate say the receiver and whatever those settings are just copy them over to the XA1 or would I leave the XA1 settings at 0 afterwards?

I plan on using DVE for my test tones.
Old 05-18-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

about the crossover settings, would I be better off calibrating the analog from within my receiver or the XA1,
The analog connection settings can only be adjusted within the XA1. When you use the analog connection, that means that the XA1 is doing all of your audio decoding. The receiver is acting strictly as an amplifier.

or do I do one and copy the settings over to the other? this is where I think I'm confused. ex; do I set everything to 0 in both my receiver and the XA1 and then calibrate say the receiver and whatever those settings are just copy them over to the XA1 or would I leave the XA1 settings at 0 afterwards?
I doubt you can use the same settings, as I doubt the receiver and XA1 are using the same scale. You should have similar relative results (if the left speaker needs to be higher than the right on one, it should be the same on both), but the actual numbers are probably going to be different.
Old 05-19-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some receivers' settings affect the analog input, too. So, it is probably best to use the digital output first and calibrate the receiver's settings first. Then go ahead and use the analog output and calibrate with the XA1's settings.

If your receiver's settings are as Josh suggests and don't affect the analog input, it won't matter.
Old 05-19-06, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a little 6" B&W it's hooked up through one of those RF things or whatever they are. The picture is better but not worth keeping the player, at least not until they get some Golden Girl season sets out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.