Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Popularity of HD DVD and Blu-ray in stores

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Popularity of HD DVD and Blu-ray in stores

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 10:55 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggawhat
I just am trying to guage the popularity of the format in the stores because that's what will most likely drive the format into the mainstream.

From a mainstream POV, HD-DVD doesn't exist yet. It's very much in the early laserdisc stage of its life. When you can get a DVD player for $30 at Walmart, people aren't going to rush out and spend $500 for a player. When the players drop in price to $150, you'll see more people take the plunge.
Old 05-02-06, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
From a mainstream POV, HD-DVD doesn't exist yet. It's very much in the early laserdisc stage of its life. When you can get a DVD player for $30 at Walmart, people aren't going to rush out and spend $500 for a player. When the players drop in price to $150, you'll see more people take the plunge.
Of course, all I'm trying to see is if you've seen people in the stores looking at the demos.
Old 05-02-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
Of course, all I'm trying to see is if you've seen people in the stores looking at the demos.
Yes, Ive been to 2 best buys since it came out and both had a display setup on a plasma or lcd screen (40+ inch). I really didnt pay attention to the setup (brand, connection and so on). They were on end caps with the movies stocked under the display.
Old 05-02-06, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
When the players drop in price to $150, you'll see more people take the plunge.
The problem is that someon MUST own an HDTV to utilize one of these. Even HDTVs are not mainstream (yet). Whereas a dvd player can go on just about any tv.

AND, of the ones with an HDTV, I bet most dont even have HD programming yet. They are probably impressed with the picture of the standard DVDs.

This is definately a niche market like laserdisc was.
Old 05-02-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy 345
I see your point but I do think backwards compatibility is going to be a bonus for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray.
These are no more backwards compatible than DVD-to-VHS. We have players with both of those formats in one, if you can call that compatibility. It may not be as obvious, but is essentially the same thing to get DVD and BD/HDDVD compatible. Some have designed this into one laser, others are using 2 in the same machine.
Old 05-02-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
The problem is that someon MUST own an HDTV to utilize one of these. Even HDTVs are not mainstream (yet). Whereas a dvd player can go on just about any tv.
You mean to benefit from one of these. They all have outputs for analog TVs.

This is definately a niche market like laserdisc was.
Only if the software price remains high. Since it is already lower than LD, I think it will be more like DVD. Unless the 2 competitors kill the industry for now and both fail, but that seems unlikely.

Last edited by Spiky; 05-02-06 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-02-06, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
You mean to benefit from one of these. They all have outputs for analog TVs.
Obviously, BUT if someone were to buy one without an HDTV, they will probably return it saying that it wasnt working.

My point is that this product should be marketed to those with HDTVs. Unlike DVD players at their launch, this is a huge limitation.
Old 05-02-06, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy 345
Does Best Buy even sell 100 inch screens.
yep we sell a 106 inch diagonal projector screen for about 350 bucks. there is a smaller 83 inch one for about 150 bucks.
Old 05-02-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, DVD was limited to a degree at first as well. Without some type of direct video input, A TV couldn't accept a connection from a DVD player, and even in 1997, there were a lot of people who owned TVs with nothing but coax input.

As far as the current world, how many HDTVs have been sold in the US the last two years? Every analyst report and prediction I have read indicate that there are already HDTVs in well over 20% of US homes, and that by 2008, that number will exceed 50%. That's over 50 million homes with HDTVs. That doesn't sound too much like a niche to me.

Will all of those HDTVs really benefit from HD-DVD/Blu-ray? Maybe not. But a good marketing campaign could try to convince them that they would.
Old 05-02-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad
Every analyst report and prediction I have read indicate that there are already HDTVs in well over 20% of US homes, and that by 2008, that number will exceed 50%. That's over 50 million homes with HDTVs. That doesn't sound too much like a niche to me.
A quick Google revealed several reports, all which say that 15% of homes currently have HDTV and that less than 50% of those are actually viewing HDTV reception. Only about 6% of the homes actually view TV in HD.

After reading this thread this morning (5 hours ago), I asked a dozen people at work about HD-DVD and Blu-ray, and no one knew that the players were already on sale and only one had even heard of Blu-ray ... and I work for one of the Blu-ray companies Okay, not that funny. Sad really. Sad but true.
Old 05-02-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that is Blu-ray's biggest hurdle. the acronyms "HD" and "DVD" are now so ingrained in peoples' minds that if someone says "HD-DVD", most people will understand the concept, even if they haven't heard of the format. Or, if they see an "HD-DVD" sign in a store, they will (bascially) understand what it means. But with Blu-ray, people are going to need to be taught.

As far as how many homes are watching HD content, that should be irrelevant. If they have "one of them HDTV thingies," and a good marketing push tells them that to take full advantage of it they need to buy the new HD-DVD/Blu-ray thingy, at least it will get their attention.
Old 05-02-06, 12:39 PM

Even at 20%, I still think its a niche market. That doesnt even get into the fact that most of those dont even watch true broadcast HD or have an upscaling player.

Could the marketing be better? Of course.

But, I just dont think a huge marketing campaign right now will make this product more profitable.

I think the holiday season is probably the time to do it (maybe starting in Sept or so). They will catch the people buying HDTVs AND its half the price of the standalone BD players.
Old 05-02-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the cable companies and DirecTV need to do more to inform the consumer about viewing real HD content. You would think they would want to increase that 6% and make sure everyone is viewing HD content, which makes them more money by tacking on the HD suite packages and additional equipment.
Old 05-02-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Sounds like the cable companies and DirecTV need to do more to inform the consumer about viewing real HD content. You would think they would want to increase that 6% and make sure everyone is viewing HD content, which makes them more money by tacking on the HD suite packages and additional equipment.
Unfortunately, these companies are only concerned with making a buck. If DirecTV bothered to offer "real HD content", maybe it would be worth it to advertise it. But they don't. Their main concern is getting as many channels as they can cram into their bandwidth.

The cable companies are marginally better, depending on where you live.
Old 05-02-06, 05:08 PM

Consider the population of North Americans that actually have a HD tv and can utilize this new hardware.

Does anyone know the percentage of ppl who have a HD tv? I would fathom less than a few %.

Given that, sales or excitement really can't be huge, except by the few & limited. Supply/demand just isn't there yet...
Old 05-02-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bokasmo
Consider the population of North Americans that actually have a HD tv and can utilize this new hardware.

Does anyone know the percentage of ppl who have a HD tv? I would fathom less than a few %.

Given that, sales or excitement really can't be huge, except by the few & limited. Supply/demand just isn't there yet...
Look a few posts up. Someone said several reports show the percentage to be around 15%.
Old 05-02-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've read 19% a few times and they are expecting HDTVs to outsell SDTVs starting this year and for HDTV adoption to expand rapidly.
Old 05-02-06, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Really? If tech-crazy Japan doesn't see it, no one else will...
There was another thread that had an article about how well the toshiba player was selling.
Old 05-02-06, 09:13 PM

Hey now, don't get me wrong. I want as much hype & attention on this as possible, especially for HD-DVD. They are outta the gate 1st, and now really need to step up the advet'ing.

We DONT need a format war, but a quick winner. Hopefully, that winner will be HD-DVD!
Old 05-03-06, 05:34 AM

The only problem I see with stepping up the advertising is that units are not readily available yet. This could lead to some consumer confusion and backlash.

I never saw a commercial for XBox360, but did for the games. What we'll likely see is the HD/BR versions added to the commercials of film releases once day and date releases are ramped up.
Old 05-03-06, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
The only problem I see with stepping up the advertising is that units are not readily available yet. This could lead to some consumer confusion and backlash.

I never saw a commercial for XBox360, but did for the games. What we'll likely see is the HD/BR versions added to the commercials of film releases once day and date releases are ramped up.
I totally agree....A huge marketing campaign right now would end up with alot of people mad that they dont have the players in stock.

They need to really push the software hard and thats where they are short right now.....they just dont have alot of titles yet. Hopefully soon.

Advertising Day and Date releases on HD-DVD would be a big boost.
Old 05-03-06, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can seem them replacing "now available on DVD and UMD" with "now available on DVD and HD-DVD/BD".
Old 05-23-06, 01:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
I totally agree....A huge marketing campaign right now would end up with alot of people mad that they dont have the players in stock.

They need to really push the software hard and thats where they are short right now.....they just dont have alot of titles yet. Hopefully soon.

Advertising Day and Date releases on HD-DVD would be a big boost.
but even for a outlet like Best Buy - their advertising is inconsistent. Going in today at lunch, and noting that BB had none of today's seven HD-DVD releases is counter intuitive and does nothing to help promote the new format.
Old 05-23-06, 02:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giles
but even for a outlet like Best Buy - their advertising is inconsistent. Going in today at lunch, and noting that BB had none of today's seven HD-DVD releases is counter intuitive and does nothing to help promote the new format.
That's BB though. Here they always have them out. But I've known people that have to actually ask for them.
Old 05-23-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Toshiba is not stepping up the campaign until September. Until then the format is pretty much for us nutty early adopters. The real launch is in September when a wider variety of movies is out and there is plenty of hardware available.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.