Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bill Hunt says: Wait

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Bill Hunt says: Wait

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Have we seen any commitment to OAR and a rejection of edited/syndicated/censored features? How come so much good stuff like Wonder Years have not been made available yet? Wouldn't changes in the way that movies and TV shows are owned and distributed leading to far wider availability be much more significant and meaningful for our enjoyment of moving pictures?
...because no studio is going to make a commitment to something that won't make them money. A niche company like Criterion can anchor its business around that sort of idealism, but it's unrealistic to expect a bottom-line-focused, multinational media conglomerate to do the same.

Have you seen Three's Company on DVD? How do you think it will look like on HD?
Largely the same as it does on DVD, but it's a ridiculous comparison. Knight Rider was shot on film. Three's Company was shot on video. No one is arguing that decades-old, shot-on-video programs are going to offer any significant difference on these formats.
Old 04-19-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mbs
Unless the film was mastered poorly, you are totally, utterly, undeniably wrong. Sorry, but film has WAY more resolution than 1080p provides. Certainly a few films might not have a proper negative available for a great master, but making a sweeping claim that older films won't look benefit is absurd.
Why don't you read the whole sentence? I said unless the studios master them well you won't see a huge difference on older movies.
Old 04-19-06, 04:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
Why don't you read the whole sentence? I said unless the studios master them well you won't see a huge difference on older movies.
Which they are. If you've been paying attention, you'd know that all the movies in the last few years have been mastered in HD. No reason not to expect it.
Old 04-19-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think what is puzzling is the way you seem to be singling out "older movies" for this statement. A poorly mastered 2006 movie will look just as crappy as a poorly mastered 1956 movie.

If you are trying to say that a new master of an older film will look no better than SD, or that making it look better will require more work, I disagree. Any film shot on good quality 35mm contains more than four times the detail of HD, even 1080p. These films, properly mastered, will look amazing on HD-DVD/Blu-ray, regardless of their age. I can't imagine any studio attempting to use an old, non-HD master as the source for a new HD disc. For such cases it stands to reason that a new HD master will be created.

On the other hand, if you are talking about restoration and preservation of older films, that is a totally different matter.
Old 04-19-06, 05:59 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was your whole sentence:

"I will upgrade to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray to buy a few certain titles that will shine on HD-DVD/Blu-Ray (Star Wars, Matrix, LOTR) but I think for the most part many titles older titles will not benefit from HD."

Now. How does that clarify your position? I'm sorry, but it's a silly notion that only newer movies will benefit from HD.

And what studios have not been mastering everything in HD for the past 5 (10?) years? If a release needs a new master, it will be done. And why does the mastering only matter for older movies? Again, that makes no sense. A shitty master will give a shitty transfer regardless of film age. Specifying older movies as a problem makes no sense at all.

Last edited by mbs; 04-19-06 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-19-06, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Believe it or not, the latest hot hits are not the main interest for many of us.
You're (deliberately?) misinterpreting his message. The studios, big and small alike, have been mastering damn near everything -- from blockbusters like Lord of the Rings down to obscurities like Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural and never-released-on-DVD films like Night of the Comet for a number of years now. Doesn't matter if it was released in 1964 or this past February: 1080p HD masters have been the industry standard for quite some time.
Old 04-19-06, 07:15 PM
Banned

Believe it or not, the latest hot hits are not the main interest for many of us.
Don't put words in my mouth.

I never mentioned anything about "hot hits."

And btw? The "movie snob" attitude is getting old.
Old 04-19-06, 07:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
You're (deliberately?) misinterpreting his message. The studios, big and small alike, have been mastering damn near everything -- from blockbusters like Lord of the Rings down to obscurities like Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural and never-released-on-DVD films like Night of the Comet for a number of years now. Doesn't matter if it was released in 1964 or this past February: 1080p HD masters have been the industry standard for quite some time.

and even Criterion teases us with their standard DVD are being mastered and restored from High Definition digital transfers.

oh the wait is painful.
Old 04-19-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

May I ask then, what accounts for newer material looking so much better than older stuff?
Improvements in cameras, lenses, and film stocks, but there's no cut-off point where HD transfers of movies look dramatically better, and there's no reason why older films should inherently look worse than newer ones.

I've watched well over a hundred movies in high-definition from the mid-'50s on, and the transfers come in all shapes and sizes. I don't see how someone could watch Forbidden Planet in high-definition and say that there's little-to-no difference between the DVD and the HD presentation. Even long-forgotten, lower-budget TV shows like Square Pegs look astonishing in HD.
Old 04-19-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Improvements in cameras, lenses, and film stocks, but there's no cut-off point where HD transfers of movies look dramatically better, and there's no reason why older films should inherently look worse than newer ones.
And even then, many older films that have undergone some painstaking restoration will be able to rival today's films in every regard when they turn up on HD-DVD/Blu-ray.
Old 04-19-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm betting the classic films that Warner has restored recently like Gone With the Wind and Wizard of Oz are going to look amazing in HD. I bet the original King Kong might even be worth getting again in HD.
Old 04-19-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I've watched well over a hundred movies in high-definition from the mid-'50s on, and the transfers come in all shapes and sizes. I don't see how someone could watch Forbidden Planet in high-definition and say that there's little-to-no difference between the DVD and the HD presentation. Even long-forgotten, lower-budget TV shows like Square Pegs look astonishing in HD.
Case in point. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was just recently premiered on HBO-HD. The transfer was nothing short of phenomenal. It looked better than some movies on HBO-HD that were released theatrically in the past 3-5 years.
Old 04-19-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by mbs
And what studios have not been mastering everything in HD for the past 5 (10?) years?
Image, apparently. Which is why they're not supporting either HD format, citing too much expense in converting to HD mastering.

What really sucks about this is that Image owns Criterion, and Criterion has been mastering in HD, but because the parent company won't support either format neither will Criterion.
Old 04-20-06, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I saw a few minutes of Jaws: The Revenge on Universal's HD channel and it looked amazing. It was only a few minutes because the movie obviously sucks ass.
Jaws the Revenge is worth is just for Mario Van Peeble's performance (and death scene) alone!
Old 04-20-06, 06:34 AM

Universal HD is usually very good about having it in the right format.
I thought that too, until I tried to watch Timecop the other night. It was 16X9 instead of the proper 2:35 (as it was presented on laserdisc). So zoomed in it was unwatchable, which is surprising since they're showing other Van Damme movies this month in the OAR.
Old 04-20-06, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by johnglad
Universal HD is usually very good about having it in the right format.
...for movies added to their schedule over the past 5 or 6 months, but for movies that originally aired aired before that (Timecop, The Frighteners, etc.), the majority of their 2.35:1 films were not and continue to not be aired in the correct aspect ratio.
Old 04-20-06, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Image, apparently. Which is why they're not supporting either HD format, citing too much expense in converting to HD mastering.
It'll take me a bit to unearth the actual quote since the Mobius Home Video Forum's search engine is worthless, but Don May, Jr. of Synapse Films made it sound as if the compression/authoring was the costly part of releasing on HD-DVD/Blu-ray initially, not really the process of producing a master tape. I believe he said it's because the authoring houses had to invest heavily in new hardware, and they're pushing a lot of those costs onto the early studio adopters.

It may be the case that Image hadn't been transferring their films in HD, but if they weren't, that might make them the largest of those smaller shops not to do so.
Old 04-20-06, 08:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by yellowbedwetter
Jaws the Revenge is worth is just for Mario Van Peeble's performance (and death scene) alone!
He doesn't die in the Home Video/Universal HD version.

Unfortunately, the only place to see the original theatrical version is, AFAIK, cable TV.
Old 04-20-06, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
He doesn't die in the Home Video/Universal HD version.

Unfortunately, the only place to see the original theatrical version is, AFAIK, cable TV.
That solves a riddle for me. I saw Jaws 4 on Universal HD and COULD NOT BELIEVE IT when Pebbles resurfaces (pretty much alright) after basically being EATEN by the shark. I racked my brain trying to understand how I didn't remember that from the movie. Turns out it wasn't there to begin with.
Old 04-07-09, 10:34 AM
Banned

Re: Bill Hunt says: Wait

I have usually defended Hunt and the Digital Bits, but I'm getting a bit tired of them misinforming people and then not correcting their remarks. Last week, Hunt posted this regarding the cancellation of the Ran Criterion Blu-ray:

Also today, we've learned a little more about Criterion's cancellation of Ran on Blu-ray, but just so you know this is NOT official, so it should be considered Rumor Mill-worthy. It seems that the U.S. home video release rights to the film are owned by Wellspring (who have released it on DVD in the past), the parent company of which is Genius Products, now 70% owned by The Weinstein Company. There have been industry rumors over the last year that Weinstein Co. is in some financial difficulty, so it's possible the Brothers want a better deal with Criterion (i.e. more or too much money) from Criterion to licence the title for Blu-ray. Hopefully, a deal of some kind will be struck soon, because (I'll say again) nobody would do better by this title in high-definition than Criterion. We are SO dying to see Kurosawa films in 1080p...
I emailed him this, correcting and refuting his statement on the site:

GNPR acquires 60% of Genius
New owner make take homevid unit private
By DIANE GARRETT

Genius Products, the troubled homevideo distributor majority owned by the Weinstein Co., now has a new majority owner.

GNPR Investments, an affiliate of investment firm Quadrant Management, has acquired 60% of the company. TWC now owns 15% of the company and Genius retains 25% of the company.

The new ownership is part of a restructuring of the homevid distributor, which was delisted by the OTCBB on Dec. 24. The company has renegotiated its distribution terms with TWC.

The company will also renegotiate existing agreements with vendors and content partners. Company may go private.

Under the new ownership by Quadrant, three of the company's directors appointed by TWC resigned and will be replaced with representatives from Quadrant.

TWC remains the biggest content partner for Genius, which also distributes discs from ESPN, Sesame Street, IFC and Animal Planet. The TWC deal will remain through 2010, with an option to extend until a year later.

Bob Weinstein said the new owners will allow him and his brother more time to concentrate on their movie slate.

"We look at this as an ongoing partnership and something that will grow in the future," he said.

It has been almost 5 days after that post and he hasn't corrected his information or put a retraction on the site. How can he expect for people to take him and his site seriously when he writes stuff that is completely wrong? From now on, I'm going to be taking everything he says with a grain of salt.
Old 04-07-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
It has been almost 5 days after that post and he hasn't corrected his information or put a retraction on the site. How can he expect for people to take him and his site seriously when he writes stuff that is completely wrong? From now on, I'm going to be taking everything he says with a grain of salt.
Well, for one, he did just post that he's been unable to update the site for a few days, so a common-courtesy level of benefit-of-the-doubt would suggest that he might have a bit of a backlog at the moment. And second, your information is not exactly in direct contradiction to the consumer upshot of what The Bits posted. It's different information and a little fresher, but the end-result for the Blu-ray fan is the same. Bill may be waiting for an update which actually tells his readers something new about if/when they can expect the disc which, IMO, is an entirely appropriate and reasonable way to look at the story and the kind of decision that thoughtful journalists and editors make every day.
Old 04-07-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Holy necrobump Batman!
Old 04-07-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Grubert
Holy necrobump Batman!
Yeah, really! I'm not sure how this thread is an appropriate forum for this guy's comment.
Old 04-07-09, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Well, for one, he did just post that he's been unable to update the site for a few days, so a common-courtesy level of benefit-of-the-doubt would suggest that he might have a bit of a backlog at the moment. And second, your information is not exactly in direct contradiction to the consumer upshot of what The Bits posted. It's different information and a little fresher, but the end-result for the Blu-ray fan is the same. Bill may be waiting for an update which actually tells his readers something new about if/when they can expect the disc which, IMO, is an entirely appropriate and reasonable way to look at the story and the kind of decision that thoughtful journalists and editors make every day.
I only did a Google search to find out that the information he was posting was incorrect. He should have done the same before posting that the Weinsteins still own 70% of Genius. Although he excused himself for being out the past couple of days, he still manage to give a long update of releases. If he was such a thoughtful journalist, he should be fact checking posts like that before putting them online

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Yeah, really! I'm not sure how this thread is an appropriate forum for this guy's comment.
I didn't want to start a thread on the guy or his site, since apparently here that is frown upon, especially when he is being criticized.
Old 04-07-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You make a reasonable point, but being upset with the guy because 'OMG! It's been 5 days!' seems a little unrealistic to me. For all you know, his client may have mis-flagged your email as spam.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.