Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD DVD Phatom of the Opera @ Amazon for $19.95

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 04-10-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...onCode=dvdtalk

I clicked on the coming soon picture on the top right corner. First of all, what the heck is this? HD DVD? Errr, i'm a but confused...

# DVD Features:

* Available Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
* Available Audio Tracks: English (), English (), French ()
* 1080p High Definition 16x9
* Dolby True-HD English 5.1, Dolby Digital-Plus English 5.1, Dolby Digital-Plus Francais (Quebec) 5.1
* Behind the Mask: The Story of the Phantom of the Opera
* Three making-of featurettes: preproduction, the director, production
* Additional scene: No One Would Listen
* Theatrical trailer
* Cast & crew singalong

This means you need a HD dvd player?
Old 04-10-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ocelot
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...onCode=dvdtalk
First of all, what the heck is this? HD DVD?
Yes

This means you need a HD dvd player?
Yes

More HD DVDs here http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/16297241/

Last edited by The Void; 04-10-06 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-10-06, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The linked Toshiba HD-A1 on Amazon's website has playback in only 720P and 1080I. Why bother until you can get a 1080P player. The Toshiba is $500.
Old 04-10-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by conehead433
The linked Toshiba HD-A1 on Amazon's website has playback in only 720P and 1080I. Why bother until you can get a 1080P player. The Toshiba is $500.
Furthermore, I just heard the Toshiba has an audio problem with the HDMI connection, and the component connection is lowering the resolution to non-HD so there are too many problems with this model. Definitely wait for later models...
Old 04-10-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I reckon most people recently bought expensive tv's that don't do 1080p anyway, so they won't need a dvd player that does.
Old 04-10-06, 05:31 PM
aup
Cool New Member

I have a slightly different question. What do people think about the entry pricing of these titles? At a list price of $29.95, do people see these coming down to a street price in the $10 range in the near future (1-2 years)? If that is the case, I have to seriously consider stopping most DVD purchases in favor of these. I mean, $2.5-5 more for 1080p over 480p would seem like a no-brainer for many titles.
aup
Old 04-10-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Furthermore, I just heard the Toshiba has an audio problem with the HDMI connection, and the component connection is lowering the resolution to non-HD so there are too many problems with this model. Definitely wait for later models...
Both formats will utilize something called Image Constraint Token. This "feature" will allow studios to select on a title-by-title basis if the picture will be down-rezzed over the analog (component) connections. At this time, no titles are using this "feature." This means waiting for a later model will not solve this problem.

The Tosh player does only do 1080i, but there are few that can take advantage of this anyway. 1080p is rumored to be available on this player by an upcoming firmware upgrade.

As far as audio, the player will still be able to in terface with your current home theater system. The audio hardware to be able to take advantage of the better audio options on the discs hasn't really hit market yet. If you are planning on buying any type of receiver in the next six months, I would seriously suggest waiting. Again, this is not a drawback of the player, but of the complementary audio hardware.

I completely understand waiting for bugs to be worked out, but the noted bugs are not legit.
Old 04-10-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would you link to this information from Toshiba or an industry source?
Old 04-10-06, 06:14 PM

I believe the image constraint token is a feature of Macrovision, so it's something that could potentially be used on other protected content such as digital television.
Old 04-10-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, what's gonna be? i mean are we going to have a forum for HD DVD bargain? Probably still too early, but for initial HD DVD release $20 for Phantom of Opera is a good price. Call it corny, but i like the music from the movie and i don't mind at all to own it on DVD (i still haven't purchase it yet, not seeing HD DVD version of it, i might just jump on that).

DVD version (two discs) is about $14, so $20 for HD DVD (two discs too i believe) is worth it.

Now, the hardware... besides the Toshiba model in the above posts, are there other players? What about those dvd players that "converts" to HD quality, do they works on HD DVDs?
Old 04-10-06, 10:51 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ocelot
besides the Toshiba model in the above posts, are there other players?
There are two Toshiba models -- one with a $500 MSRP and one that goes for $1000. There are two Blu-Ray players (Samsung and Sony) in the works, but Tosh is the only HD-DVD drive for the near future. There will also be a Toshiba HD-DVD-ROM IDE drive coming out soon.

What about those dvd players that "converts" to HD quality, do they works on HD DVDs?
Nope. They play only regular (SD) DVDs (and upconvert them to 720p/1080i).
Old 04-11-06, 02:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not trying to turn this into a HD DVD / BluRay hardware thread but over at avsforum.com there is mention of an LG player to be released later this year that will play both. Sounds like a winner to me.

Last edited by conehead433; 04-11-06 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-11-06, 02:33 PM
mbs

Not trying to turn this into a HD DVD / BluRay hardware thread but Over at avsforum.com there is mention of an LG player that will play both. Sounds like a winner to me.
LG has said they are working on it, but no estimate on a release date. That is likely the route I will go, assuming they actually deliver it in the not-too-distant future.
Old 04-11-06, 02:36 PM

Not trying to turn this into a HD DVD / BluRay hardware thread but Over at avsforum.com there is mention of an LG player that will play both. Sounds like a winner to me.
That would be the safe buy right now. You don't want a Betamax.
Old 04-12-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn, so what's the point of the HD DVDs coming out this early? w/o the hardware, it's pretty much useless... Unless of course they are trying to make a statement, like video game consoles.
Old 04-12-06, 01:00 AM

Well, it's a chicken-and-egg problem. People are understandably reluctant to buy players with nothing play them on, and manufacturers are reluctant to put out players without any movies available. Someone has to take the initiative.
Old 04-12-06, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by jimbeam
That would be the safe buy right now. You don't want a Betamax.
Nah, the safe buy right now is a regular DVD player. Both HD and BLU have a high probability of turning into betamaxes, or for a closer comparison - DATs, Mini-Discs, DVD-As and SACDs.
Old 04-12-06, 04:10 AM
Cool New Member

ocelot,

the players are coming out at the same time as the first software, within the next few days... hopefully.

I am going to preorder Serenity and Apollo 13 hd dvds for $24 each at amazon.

Stan
Old 04-12-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by stanrozenfeld
ocelot,

the players are coming out at the same time as the first software, within the next few days... hopefully.

I am going to preorder Serenity and Apollo 13 hd dvds for $24 each at amazon.

Stan

Actually, for that price, you might just get them in BBuy ($25 GC for the HD DVD player, see Speedy's post for Best Buy early prices.)

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=461877
Old 04-12-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

People - there is a whole forum devoted to this - HD Talk - I mean this really is not a deal in my mind - it is 20.99 with free shipping at DDD so this is really nothing special.
Old 04-12-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by speedyray
People - there is a whole forum devoted to this - HD Talk - I mean this really is not a deal in my mind - it is 20.99 with free shipping at DDD so this is really nothing special.
In the context of HD resolution discs it is a deal. Prices range depending on the title and studio from $25-$39 street prices....so in generic terms of HD content, it's a good deal at $20.

Think back on the release of SD dvd players and we as a group were yearning for any titles we could get our hands on.....hell, I bought a copy of "Eraser" for I sure $20-$25. I think many bought titles in March of 97,they wouldn't normally buy...and today would be in the discount rack. So in terms of HD vs SD prices, it's not a deal. But, in terms of a new resolution/format, it could be classified as a deal.

Last edited by RonBoster; 04-12-06 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-12-06, 12:40 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by RonBoster
In the context of HD resolution discs it is a deal. Prices range depending on the title and studio from $25-$39 street prices....so in generic terms of HD content, it's a good deal at $20.
Yeah, but this is a specific title (Phantom of the Opera), which can be had for essentially the same price elsewhere. Speedy is right, this is not a special deal on this title.

If every HD-DVD were $20, yes, that would be a bargain. But this pricing for Phantom is right in line with other e-tailers.
Old 04-12-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RonBoster
Would you link to this information from Toshiba or an industry source?
It came from Sound & Vision magazine... Qui-Gon is right about the down-rezzing not "currently" in use, but you know some studios will do it. My point is that there IS indeed an audio problem with HDMI, yet because component COULD be down-rezzed, you would still want to use HDMI, then you will be FORCED to use a receiver with a different audio connection. And if you don't have a good receiver which can correct for time delay, you may have syncing issues. Personally, I do think this bug is a major detractor from buying the first unit.

Anyway, to keep this thread on topic, although this is a decent price, I see NO REASON to purchase any HD-DVD titles before you own the player. Just because it may seem like a bargain is pointless (especially if Blue Ray ends up winning the war). But in regards to slowing down your DVD purchases in preparation for HD-DVD, it is probably a good idea for modern movies. For older movies and non-HDTV television shows, can they really improve on HD-DVD? You can't really improve upon the resolution in which something was filmed, unless it was poorly mastered to begin with...

Last edited by kenbenobi; 04-12-06 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-12-06, 03:16 PM
mbs

=You can't really improve upon the resolution in which something was filmed, unless it was poorly mastered to begin with...
You are WAY, WAY off. Film has much more resolution than HD provides.

As for the HDMI "problem", it is likely because HDMI 1.3 has not been finalized yet. Until that happens DTS-HD and DD-HD won't be possible. No receiver today, even with HDMI, will be able to take full advantage of HD sound until HDMI 1.3 arrives.
Old 04-12-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Damn it. I wish that every single statement like that could be automatically censored from the forum. AGAIN, every single solitary last scrap of film shot in the history of mankind and cro-magnon and neanderthal man, if properly restored and mastered, will look better on HD than on DVD. The same will hold true when the successor to HD comes along. There was not some magic advancement in film manufacture in the year 2000.

While we all love DVD, it is not the penultimate format for storing video. In 15 years, we may look at DVD and laugh at the comparitively poor quality compared to whatever will be available then.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.