Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Toshiba delays HD DVD player

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-06, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Video Business

Toshiba is delaying its release of HD DVD players until studios put out movies in the format, pushing HD DVD’s launch back to mid-April and giving it a slim one-month lead before rival high-definition format Blu-ray launches.

Toshiba isn’t setting a firm release date, but will ship its players to retail in time for Warner Home Video’s April 18 release of movies on the format, said Jodi Sally, VP of marketing, for Toshiba’s Digital Audio and Video Group.

“We’re synchronizing the launch date of players with the release of software to maximize exposure of the format,” Sally said.
The concluding paragraphs of the article indicate the retailers are becoming less enthusiastic about it:

Tweeter’s Roshinski wondered if HD DVD is biting itself in the foot as it launches.

“My only concern is that [HD DVD] is diminishing whatever lead time they had over Blu-ray,” Roshinski said. “What kept us from picking one side or the other is that HD DVD was going to be so far in front. But I’m wondering what foothold [HD DVD] is going to have. There is just a 35-45 day lead time before Samsung Blu-ray players are expected.”
Old 03-23-06, 08:30 AM
Banned

Yup. The Samsung BR is supposed to be out first...even before the Sony...and at a lower price than the Sony.
Old 03-23-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, so much for going to a demo of the final hardware on the 1st of April.
Old 03-23-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw a demo last night. Looked great on a 60" 1080p DLP, but not enough for me to change my opinion on the Tosh players. Several preorders were made by people. The local UE still has 4/7 as the ship date. Could change.
Old 03-23-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Yup. The Samsung BR is supposed to be out first...even before the Sony...and at a lower price than the Sony.
Unless they drop the price before it is released, they are both the same price($1000).

http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rXYEc22...3&emKey=184359
Old 03-23-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Ruh roh. There goes the almost distinct advantage that HD-DVD had: time. Now it's about cost, where HD-DVD still has the edge.
Old 03-24-06, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Makes sence though, since they delayed the HD DVD's for a while also. Toshiba is going to shoot itself in the foot if it releases a sub-par product early just to say, "Ha ha, we are first!!"
Old 03-24-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another price issue will be the discs. Right now, HD-DVD has generally indicated higher prices than BD. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Old 03-24-06, 09:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spiky
Another price issue will be the discs. Right now, HD-DVD has generally indicated higher prices than BD. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Never heard that since BR discs cost more.
Old 03-24-06, 10:06 AM
Banned

From what has been said, Warner has announced an MSRP of $28.99 while Sony and Lionsgate are going with $29.99. A dollar difference is really nothing, so one could say that media prices will be the same. No price advantage either way for consumers.
Old 03-24-06, 10:17 AM

I hope HD-DVD *never* launches!!

The sooner either HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray leaves the marketplace, the sooner I'll get into a HD optical disc format.

Blu-ray already has the support of more Hollywood studios, provides better technology than HD-DVD (dual-layer Blu-ray will provide 50Gigs for a HD movie to spread out in); and is even more backward-compatible than HD-DVD is. (Rumor has it that the first-generation HD-DVD players will only provide backward compatibility with commercially produced DVD's. Your home movies recorded to DVD-R and/or DVD+R are *not* guaranteed to play.)

I really wish that Blu-ray was the *only* HD optical format! As long as both co-exist in the marketplace, I'm staying with SD-DVD (well ... unless Lucas releases the *original* original 1977 Star Wars movie to one of these formats!)

Last edited by Joseph B; 03-25-06 at 04:01 AM.
Old 03-24-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I have yet to see a pressing reason to upgrade from SD. These delays and MSRPs are doing little to change that.
Old 03-24-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, I still don't care about HD-DVD. It has me intrigued of course...since I always want the NEW thing, but I'll pass. I hate the format war...just seems dumb, "Why can't we all just get along"
Old 03-24-06, 11:20 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
I have yet to see a pressing reason to upgrade from SD.
On my equipment, there is a big difference between HDTV (720p) and DVD (480p upscaled to 720p). If you have not seen HDTV on a good, calibrated TV, you are missing out. And of course, 1080p sets are only going to look that much better.

These delays and MSRPs are doing little to change that.
The MSRPs seem perfectly fair to me. I guess I was planning on it being worse and was plesantly surprised. Afterall, DVDs were just as expensive when rolled out. I paid $24.99+ for several DVDs in 1998/1999.
Old 03-24-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Well, I'm a video producer by trade, so I definitely notice the difference. And I'll actually watch football on my television if it's in HD. But I haven't abandoned watching SD content, and have yet to see a big incentive to invest heavily in one of these two formats.

DVD and the associated costs were a much easier upgrade to stomach, since there were a lot of advantages over VHS. When you get right down to it, all this is is a "better looking DVD," and since they can't even agree on a format, I'm not going to adopt as early as I did with the DVD revolution.
Old 03-25-06, 10:20 AM

There really did need to be only one option.

The format war is probably a good thing in the long run to drag prices down quick, but it is annoying.

I look forward to the Playstation 3. I can at least have some form of Hi-Def player and play games as well. Even if Blu-Ray bombed, at least I still had the game system out of it.

Sony's mistake is launching too high. $1000 really is insane when a PS3 will be half of that and does much more.

Quality won't be as good on PS3? I don't know. They have said this will be a full featured player. But, who knows?

I just know one thing. I will be pre-ordering because I am not dealing with Christmas Psychotics again.

Last edited by AllHallowsEve; 03-25-06 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-25-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by AllHallowsEve
Sony's mistake is launching too high. $1000 really is insane when a PS3 will be half of that and does much more.
Until Sony actually announces an official MSRP, we can't take it for granted that it will be half the price of a standalone Blu-Ray player. For everything that Sony claims the PS3 will do (have you heard that it will wash your car and de-flea your dog now?), I just cannot imagine they can get away with selling it for $500, even assuming they plan to take a huge loss on every console sold.