Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How good is HDTV channels for sports?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

How good is HDTV channels for sports?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
No, he understands correctly, and he's right: they're two physically separate channels. For instance, with my cable provider, my local NBC affiliate is on channel 4 in standard definition and channel 784 in HD. HBO is channel 701 and HBO-HD is 777. Satellite is the same way. When I use an antenna, I tune to channel 7 to get CBS in standard definition but use channel 7.1 to get CBS-HD.
Mine's not a cable providor. It's DirectTV. Do you or him have DirectTV and know, FOR SURE that there is a seperate DirectTV WGN channel? Aw well, these are questions I need to ask DirectTV. This discussion has gone off topic. I just HOPE that after commiting 2 years to this stuff, that the SOLE reason I got it for, is not somehow unavailable to me.
Old 03-06-06, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Teremei
Mine's not a cable providor. It's DirectTV. Do you or him have DirectTV and know, FOR SURE that there is a seperate DirectTV WGN channel?
Yes - there have to be two different channels.

The only exception to that rule is if it an HD only channel - meaning anyone not watching HD does not have the ability to watch it (e.g. HDNet). All other channels (HBO, ESPN, NBC, ABC, TNT, etc) have two completely different channels - one with the SD feed, and one with HD. Even though they probably have the same content, they are truly distinct channels. Just like ESPN and ESPN2 are different channels (for example), ESPN and ESPN-HD are different channels. While most providers have ESPN, that doesn't mean that they carry ESPN-HD. WGN would be no different - if they even have an "HD" channel. In all liklihood, they simply make special events available in HD as opposed to having a full-time HD channel.

That being said, WGN can say that the game is being broadcast in HD, but that doesn't mean your provider (DirecTV) picks it up. Looking at DirecTV's website, I don't see WGN listed as an available local HD channel. If that's accurate, then WGN probably makes the broadcasts available, but providers that carry the SD channel don't necessarily pick up the HD feed.

As I stated in a previous reply, in the Twin Cities there are a number of local sports games that FSN broadcasts in HD (and when watching in SD you see the "broadcast in HD where available" message), but many of the stations don't make that available. DirecTV specifically does pick up some, but not all of those games.

Someone from the Chicago area would be your best source of information - many of us can't tell you what they do (or don't) make available in your area...

Last edited by shelland; 03-06-06 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-06-06, 11:54 PM

You are right, this wasn't the main concern on this thread. It was about asking how good it actually looked.

Anyway I did call and talk to a rep there. I am recieving an off air antenna and I will be recieving local stations in HD. But WGN is not part of that package. But she assured me that as long as the program said it was going broadcast in HD, that I would recieve it in HD. She mentioned nothing about a required 2nd channel to turn to to do so.

So perhaps maybe it works a little differently in your area, and with your provider? You think maybe?
Old 03-07-06, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
So perhaps maybe it works a little differently in your area and with your provider? You think maybe?
I promise you, we know what we're talking about, and you absolutely have to have two separate channels. That's the way it works: it doesn't matter where you live or what provider you use. The standard definition channel and the high-definition channel are two separate entities.
Old 03-07-06, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep two seperate channels. If you don't believe us check out http://www.avsforum.com
Old 03-07-06, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

...or go to a site like http://tv.yahoo.com/ , plug in your zip code, select the satellite provider you're eyeing, and look at their channel lineup. You'll see the HD channels listed separately from the standard definition versions.
Old 03-07-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some more random, related facts:

It is 2 channels until 2/17/09, when the analog channel is shut off. This is for broadcast (antenna) channels. Not sure what will happen to cable-only channels like ESPN and ESPN-HD. That is also 2 separate channels today. They'll probably drop down to one channel whenever they want after 2/17/09 since they don't fall under the govt mandate.

Also, DirecTV (D*) is just starting to supply HD local channels, but they are mainly focusing on the 4 biggest networks to start. So WGN-HD may or may not be available from them today, but eventually. Never trust the first CSR from DirecTV, sometimes they claim channels exist or don't exist without regard for anything resembling fact.

In the D* guide, it will intermix all these channels and label them appropriately. As Adam mentioned about, HD channels are currently listed like this: "4-1" or "4.1" -- dash or point means the same thing. Their HD sat boxes can receive SD and HD from the satellite, and HD only from an antenna. Ex: I receive SD locals from the sat and have an antenna for HD locals. So my guide looks like this:

2 (Sat)
2-1 (Ant)
4 (Sat)
4-1 (Ant)
etc.

I don't know since I don't get these, but I presume they will insert something like "2-1 (Sat)" if you receive HD locals via sat.
Old 03-07-06, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
...or go to a site like http://tv.yahoo.com/ , plug in your zip code, select the satellite provider you're eyeing, and look at their channel lineup. You'll see the HD channels listed separately from the standard definition versions.
Well I found only one WGN. "307 WGNSAT". . WGN Sattellite I'm sure. That is the only WGN found. Now I think channel 9 "WB" is also considered "WGN" so is that what you mean by 2 channels? I just don't see "WGNHD".
Old 03-07-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I just don't see "WGNHD".
They might not offer it. I don't know. If they did, you'd see two listings, though.
Old 03-07-06, 03:50 PM

I also searched for discovery HD and I don't see it listed on Yahoo.tv and I know for a FACT that is part of their HDTV package. Anyway, I'm gonna ask about this locally. You guys are just confusing me, no offense.
Old 03-07-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I also searched for discovery HD and I don't see it listed on Yahoo.tv and I know for a FACT that is part of their HDTV package.
Sure they do -- it's channel 76 (DHD).
Old 03-07-06, 07:00 PM

I'm combining information from multiple replies of yours...

Well I found only one WGN. "307 WGNSAT". . WGN Sattellite I'm sure. That is the only WGN found.
Channel 307 is the exact same channel that you would get if you didn't have an HD channel. It's the same WGN channel I get in Minnesota. It is an SD channel - it will not display HD - EVER. End of story.

Now I think channel 9 "WB" is also considered "WGN" so is that what you mean by 2 channels? I just don't see "WGNHD".
No. From reading trying to answer your question, I see that WGN has two different SD channels - channel 9 WB and the "Superstation". Those are distinct channels and have nothing to do with HD.

I don't see that DirecTV offers WGN-HD, based on the reading I've done. See link below.

I also searched for discovery HD and I don't see it listed on Yahoo.tv and I know for a FACT that is part of their HDTV package.
Indeed it is. I've never used yahoo.tv myself, but wasn't overly impressed when I just looked at it. I use titantv.com, and like the layout. You can also display HD only on the grid.

Anyway, I'm gonna ask about this locally. You guys are just confusing me, no offense.
That's partially because you just aren't believing people that know what they're talking about. You've repeated exactly what people say, but don't believe it. Have faith in people that have had HD for several years...

As people have stated, hooking up an HD receiver does not magically make everything you watch HD. None of the channels that you currently watch are HD if you're watching them without an HD receiver. To watch the channel in HD, you have to watch a different channel all-together. For example ESPN is 206, but ESPN-HD is 73. HBO is 506, but HBO-HD is 70. Other channels are ONLY available in HD - for example UHD on 74. Locally I get SD NBC on 11, and HD on 11.1.

So for you to watch ANYTHING in HD, you will need to watch it on a different channel than you do currently - PERIOD. That is, assuming you can get the digital (HD) channel. Just because something is broadcast in HD doesn't mean you will get the channel. As I stated myself earlier, FSN broadcasts a number of Minnesota sporting events in HD, althought they don't have an HD channel. Local providers have to pick up that broadcast and make it available on a temporary channel. DirecTV has picked up maybe half of the games that have been broadcast in HD, and aired them on channels in the 90's.

Now, going to the Cubs very own forum on their website, here is your answer. DirecTV does not have WGN-HD available. However, you might be able to get it via antenna, depending on your location. There might be more than one helpful thread, but I quit searching after I found this: http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/messa...764.1&search=y

You might also find this helpful. Plug in your zip code, and you will find channels available via antenna ("OTA"). There is WGN 9 (SD) and WGN 9.1 (digital or HD). http://www.antennaweb.org

Anyway I did call and talk to a rep there. I am recieving an off air antenna and I will be recieving local stations in HD. But WGN is not part of that package.
She's an idiot. How does she know what you will receive via antenna from your house? Depending on your location and OTA signal quality, you MIGHT get WGN-HD.

But she assured me that as long as the program said it was going broadcast in HD, that I would recieve it in HD.
Flat out false. As stated in the previous quote, you MIGHT, depending on your situation. There is no way that she can "assure" you of that.

She mentioned nothing about a required 2nd channel to turn to to do so.
She's still an idiot. That's the way it works - there is no option. (unless it's an HD only channel) In order to watch an HD broadcast for a channel that offers SD, you MUST watch it on the digital version of the channel. If you watch the SD channel (e.g. channel 9), you will NOT be watching HD, even if the broadcast says "broadcast in HD".

PERIOD.
Old 03-07-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well shelland pretty much rapped it up. You can talk to someone in the local office but I promise you'll leave more confused than when you went in. If you talk to the local cable offices they have no clue about anything HD related. As far as the dish networks I'm sure they're a little more informed but whoever you talked to didn't. Do your own research man. There are TONS of sites that explain this stuff.
Old 03-12-06, 10:27 AM
Banned

I just caved in and finally ordered Direct TV HDTV. Now the TV I have was bought a couple years ago and at that time was highly reccomended as a good Panasonic 47" HDTV (I beleive now you would call it a CRT HDTV??) Anyway Component DVDs look very good on it.

I was going to wait until I got a sony SXRD but I don't have the money for 1 right now. The TV I have only has 2 component connections (no HDMI or anything like that) so I'm gonna have to have the DVD, XBOX 360, and HDTV share time between the 2 connections. But I decided I just had to see what HDTV is like. I want to watch some baseball games this year in HDTV.

My question is to people who do have HDTV, how good is it going to look on my TV compared to what I'm used to? Hype me up on this, did I make the right descision in not waiting and just going for it now, with my current TV?
Can both of your inputs handle 1080i signals, or just one? I only point this out because my 2002 model Mits RPTP has two sets of component inputs that are only 480i/480p, and a single set that is labeled DTV - 480i/480p/1080i. For me this means that since I have my HD E* receiver plugged into my only true 1080i input, if I ever get an HD DVD player, I'll either have to figure out some kind of splitter deal, or get a new TV.

As to your question - After a day of watching HD, you'll wonder how you watched anything else.

Movies on HBO HD, etc. look about as good as DVDs which is great, but sports and other programs (like Letterman or Leno) that are actually recorded in HD look incredible. When I first got my HD receiver last summer, I was turning it around and landed on a baseball game on ESPN HD, (I think it was a charity event), and I just had to stop and stare at it. It may sound cliche, but it actually looked like I could have been watching a live game thru an open window.
Old 03-12-06, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by ItsGreekToMe
Can both of your inputs handle 1080i signals, or just one? I only point this out because my 2002 model Mits RPTP has two sets of component inputs that are only 480i/480p, and a single set that is labeled DTV - 480i/480p/1080i. For me this means that since I have my HD E* receiver plugged into my only true 1080i input, if I ever get an HD DVD player, I'll either have to figure out some kind of splitter deal, or get a new TV.

As to your question - After a day of watching HD, you'll wonder how you watched anything else.

Movies on HBO HD, etc. look about as good as DVDs which is great, but sports and other programs (like Letterman or Leno) that are actually recorded in HD look incredible. When I first got my HD receiver last summer, I was turning it around and landed on a baseball game on ESPN HD, (I think it was a charity event), and I just had to stop and stare at it. It may sound cliche, but it actually looked like I could have been watching a live game thru an open window.
Dude, none of my inputs can handle 1080 ANYTHING. Infact I've been watching some HDTV sports, (pretty nice BTW) but the reciever light is on 480p, and when I try to select 720p the screen goes black. making me think my TV isn't even able to support 720p!! I guess it's time to upgrade!!
Old 03-12-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If your HDTV is in fact CRT based (and I think it is based on the model number) then it will only display 1080i. You need to set your DirectTV HD box to output all HD sources at 1080i. The box will then receive 720p signal and convert them to 1080i and all 1080i signals will pass though as is.
Old 06-08-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Comcast users might want to check their lineup. ESPN2HD was just added to Comcast systems in the Baltimore/DC area (channel 253).
Old 06-08-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Comcast users might want to check their lineup. ESPN2HD was just added to Comcast systems in the Baltimore/DC area (channel 253).
Currently very little of ESPN2's programming is in HD. In their upcoming schedule, only the World Cup games and a drag racing show will be in HD. With my guide filter set to HD only, I have seen the next two weeks of upcoming programming in this channel completely grayed out. However, I see that they are gradually sprinkling more in.
Old 06-09-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by bruceames
Currently very little of ESPN2's programming is in HD. In their upcoming schedule, only the World Cup games and a drag racing show will be in HD. With my guide filter set to HD only, I have seen the next two weeks of upcoming programming in this channel completely grayed out. However, I see that they are gradually sprinkling more in.

This pays off in college football and basketball season.
Old 06-09-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I noticed this last night. Good stuff. I was worried that the World Cup would only be in SD.....just in time!
Old 06-12-06, 07:53 PM
Cool New Member

This thread has answered ALOT of my questions, I am looking to get an HD TV. I watched nascar yesterday for the 1st time on HD and it was freaking amazing. But I of course have no idea where to start.
Old 06-12-06, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get an HDTV to start. And don't get DirecTV for HD channels.
Old 06-12-06, 10:21 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Spiky
I had not planned on getting DirecTV until I found out my cable company wont be carrying the NFL network anytime soon. I am highly irritated with that.
Old 06-13-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
If you like the NFL, get Directv. Trust me.
Old 06-13-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiky

why not? I have comcast now but was thinking of switching to DirecTV for the NFL Sunday ticket. As it stands, I pay $40 a month for digial hd basic, with free HBO and $10 for the hd-dvr. Thoughts?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.