Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Top 10 DVD's ALREADY in your library that you will NOT upgrade to BR/HD-DVD

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-14-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Here are just a few that I won't be upgrading this comming gen (barring unforsee features of magnificent magnitude) becasue I have bought them more than once or I spent too much money on them.

1. Lord Of The Rings the Extended Editions (If I see anymore LOTR I might die)

2. The Matrix Ultimate Set (I love my Neo bust but I watched all of the Special Features in this set...all of them so now I hate everything Matrix)

3. Farscape Complete Series (I bought them all individually right when they came out thats $650+)

4. X-Files Complete Series ($1000+)

5. Dawn Of The Dead (after owning it some 3 or 4 times on VHS I got the Ultimate Edition and now no more)

6. Army Of Darkness (I have 3 Editions had to slap my hand to end up from having 6)

7. Evangelion (ADV the most evil of DVD studios screwed me again becasue I just couldn't wait)

8. Akira (30 bucks for the Special Edition It was good but I don't need it again.

9. Terminator 2 (both the Ultimate and Extream editions)

10. Anything Criterion (some 30 titles (I know a bit of a cheat) I buy Criterion so I will never have to buy the title again).

Instead of any of these I'll just get an Upconverting DVD player.

What are your top ten not upgrading this gen?

Last edited by SterlingBen; 11-05-10 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Spelling fix
Old 02-14-06, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
That's easy - ANY TV series. And probably most movies too.
Old 02-14-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
That's easy - ANY TV series. And probably most movies too.
Yep. I'll probably just upgrade my 4.5-5 star movies and stick to new current releases.
Old 02-14-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never say never... Before the current DVD format came out, I had a number of laserdiscs I said I would not upgrade for various reasons. So much for that.
Old 02-14-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 497 Likes on 364 Posts
I don't know... it's probably easier to name the ones I'm more likely to upgrade than the ones I'm not.

It depends on a lot of factors, like price, image quality, special features, etc. so I can't really say no to anything at this point.

One example I would mention is "Halloween." If it's the same transfer that the last release used, with the fucked up color, I'll pass on it.
Old 02-17-06, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
Never say never... Before the current DVD format came out, I had a number of laserdiscs I said I would not upgrade for various reasons. So much for that.
I never owned any laserdiscs, but I think that people will look at upgrading to HD-DVD from DVD a bit differently than laserdisc/DVD since the players will be backwards compatible.
Old 02-19-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ill get the HD versions of the big name titles like SW, LOTR, matrix. Some of the lesser ones ill wait for a long while. TV shows Ill only update a select few as most of the stuff i have are older shows.

capt
Old 02-20-06, 10:37 AM

At first I thought I would never consider upgrading my TV titles such as Seinfeld, X-Files, CSI....Then I thought about how nice it would be to have the entire season on 1 or 2 discs rather than 6 discs and now I may consider.
Old 02-20-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1. Dumb and Dumber
2. Tommy Boy
3. LOTR
4. Star Wars
5. Ferris Bueller
6. ANY TV
7. Top Gun
8. American Pies
9. Fight Club
10. Miracle

I just can't see myself rebuying those for better quality picture. I know LOTR/SW will improve but I will NEVER give any more money to them!!!! I personally have sent Jackson's/Lucas' kids through college.
Old 02-21-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I will only buy on a new movie basis, I have no plans to upgrade what I have.
Old 02-21-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally, I really won't be able to upgrade at all with college starting up soon... and then loans (shit). So when I'll finally be able to get around to it... the prices will hopefully be lower and I should know which titles are worth upgrading. I'm also extremley happy with a lot of my DVD's already and won't have the need to anyways until further down the line.

And as stated above, same thing with tv. I didn't think I'd need to at first... but if the difference results in significantly less discs... I just might.
Old 02-21-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mrsnickers
At first I thought I would never consider upgrading my TV titles such as Seinfeld, X-Files, CSI....Then I thought about how nice it would be to have the entire season on 1 or 2 discs rather than 6 discs and now I may consider.
If they do it that way. Everyone speculates that entire series could be put on a few disc, but who says that they will do it in that manner. Plus, that is not enough of a reason for me to upgrade. I mean it is not like I sit down and watch more than 4 episodes of the sopranos without taking a piss or getting a drink at which time a quick change is no big deal.

I most likely will not upgrade most of my horror movies and dramas. Most of my upgrades will be for movies with lots of action and sound but even these will have to be in my group of extreme favorites.
Old 02-23-06, 01:14 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably not much at all apart from Star Wars. Actually I wonder how long it will take to phase DVD movies out
Old 11-05-10, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Top 10 DVD's ALREADY in your library that you will NOT upgrade to BR/HD-DVD

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
Here are just a few that I won't be upgrading this comming gen (barring unforsee features of magnificent magnitude) becasue I have bought them more than once or I spent too much money on them.

1. Lord Of The Rings the Extended Editions (If I see anymore LOTR I might die)

2. The Matrix Ultimate Set (I love my Neo bust but I watched all of the Special Features in this set...all of them so now I hate everything Matrix)

3. Farscape Complete Series (I bought them all individually right when they came out thats $650+)

4. X-Files Complete Series ($1000+)

5. Dawn Of The Dead (after owning it some 3 or 4 times on VHS I got the Ultimate Edition and now no more)

6. Army Of Darkness (I have 3 Editions had to slap my hand to end up from having 6)

7. Evangelion (ADV the most evil of DVD studios screwed me again becasue I just couldn't wait)

8. Akira (30 bucks for the Special Edition It was good but I don't need it again.

9. Terminator 2 (both the Ultimate and Extream editions)

10. Anything Criterion (some 30 titles (I know a bit of a cheat) I buy Criterion so I will never have to buy the title again).

Instead of any of these I'll just get an Upconverting DVD player.

What are your top ten not upgrading this gen?
I have lightened on this stance over the years. Of this I would probably upgrade most depending on price but still wouldn't upgrade #1, 4, 5 & 10

Last edited by SterlingBen; 11-05-10 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-05-10, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There isn't a single thing I wouldn't upgrade, hence why I own 28 Days Later and Inland Empire on BD.
Old 11-05-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
When the price is right (and it will be on each and every title at some point), I will upgrade 100%.

Oh, and some of you may be surprised to hear that, for the most part, I give away the DVDs I upgrade to those less fortunate. Anyone from my sister (she busts her ass as a waitress, and doesn't have nearly the media collection I do, so I help her out; it also "improves her taste in movies", if ya get my drift) to neighborhhod kids, to friends & aquaintences, even the local libraries. Only once in a blue moon do I trade or sell them. I started out with the intention of selling off all my upgrades as I upgraded to blu, but it's not usually worth the effort, I've found. And other people appreciate the freebies!
That's where I'm at too (including giving away DVDs I've upgraded to my sister, lol).
Old 11-05-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I said I would never upgrade any of my DVDs, but I have been weak.

1. Sound of Music
2. XMen
3. Transporter
4. TS 1 and 2
5. Mama Mia
6. CARS (May not count, I lent it to someone who did not return it. They did me a fav, because I love it much more on BR.)

and a few more I cannot think of off the top of my head.

The ones I upgraded are ones I watch over and over again, or my family does.

The extra money has been well worth it.

The ones I will not upgrade...
1. TV on DVD (Star Trek, Smallville, old classics...)
2. About 400 movies I have on DVD that I do not watch that often any more.

Now, some of the movies may change if the price drops to the $7.99 price, or if I lose control on BlackFriday.
Old 11-05-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When the price is right (and it will be on each and every title at some point), I will upgrade 100%.

Oh, and some of you may be surprised to hear that, for the most part, I give away the DVDs I upgrade to those less fortunate. Anyone from my sister (she busts her ass as a waitress, and doesn't have nearly the media collection I do, so I help her out; it also "improves her taste in movies", if ya get my drift) to neighborhhod kids, to friends & aquaintences, even the local libraries. Only once in a blue moon do I trade or sell them. I started out with the intention of selling off all my upgrades as I upgraded to blu, but it's not usually worth the effort, I've found. And other people appreciate the freebies!
I have been thinking about the same thing, you have inspired me to act on it.
Old 11-05-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless the new blu version of any of my titles comes extremely cheap, or with something really cool, I have no plans on upgrading any of them.

I guess the only point i'd waiver is if I had the fullscreen version and had bought that dvd real cheap.
Old 11-05-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 383 Likes on 263 Posts

I won't upgrade a lot of my DVDs because...well, I've reviewed/blind-bought a lot of crap, and I don't think those are worth buying again. There's nothing I like that I'd be unwilling to upgrade.

Honestly, DVD and I have pretty much broken up. Unless it's something I feel a burning desire to watch, like Community or MST3K, my DVDs just sit there collecting dust. I have a hard enough time keeping up with what's coming out on Blu-ray to revisit my DVDs. The nice thing about upgrading to Blu-ray is that it gives me an excuse to rediscover a movie that'd otherwise sit on my shelf unwatched.

Oh, and some of you may be surprised to hear that, for the most part, I give away the DVDs I upgrade to those less fortunate.
I give mine to friends/family, but it's the same general idea.
Old 11-05-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post

Criterion titles are very affordable to upgrade. FYE usually gives you $8 for most Criterion titles. If you wait for the extra 20% brown bag promotion, they will give you an extra 20%. So you'll get about $10 for trade-in. Take that sawbuck on over to Barnes & Noble and toss an extra $3 and change on top and you got yourself a Blu-ray.
Old 11-05-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anything that I don't see myself rewatching often, including expensive box sets & tv shows. No way I'm replacing nine seasons of The X-Files, or my entire James Bond remastered DVDs.
Old 11-05-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 269 Likes on 206 Posts

Most of them. Mostly non-16x9 upgrades and new to home media titles are my current Blu purchases.
Old 11-05-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by doctorthodt View Post
There isn't a single thing I wouldn't upgrade, hence why I own 28 Days Later and Inland Empire on BD.
Basically my stance. If I'm not willing to upgrade something it's because I likely should have never purchased it to begin with on DVD (i.e., it sucks).
Old 11-05-10, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

most of my dvd titles. I will only buy new releases unless its something I gotta have and that's if its at a price I can't refuse.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.