Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Top 10 DVD's ALREADY in your library that you will upgrade to BR/HD-DVD

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-25-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

For the same of ease of complication, I'm just lumping both HD-DVD and BR into here without question. Just asking what the movies you MOST want to upgrade are. I'm keeping my overall upgrades low and concentrating on titles I didn't already own and newer stuff...but there are films I've upgraded right from the days of laser and will continue to.

1. Boogie Nights Put all the trailers and TV spots on there this time! Would also love to finally see that documentary and the orginal "Dirk Diggler Story"

2. JFK Would love to see the original theatrical cut, which I own on LD, also included.

3. The Doors Make it the best uncompressed or whatever the hell audio you can make it.

4. Mulholland Dr. Same as above re: audio...and nevermind Lynch put some bloody chapter stops on there!

5. A Nightmare on Elm St. I want the full set again, and I'm sure New Line will give it to me in quality HD.

6. Crash Criterion did such a great job on the Criterion LD. I hope they get to handle it this time. One of the most twisted and original films I've ever seen.

7. Jaws Damn I've bought this film so many times (even had two VHS versions) why stop now.

8. Showgirls Yet another film I've bought multiple times. The colors and the women look more eye-popping with every increase in technology.

9. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original) The Pioneer DVD has great features, but we need an ace version in HD.

10. The Devil's Rejects This is here because it's one of the first Blu-Rays I know I'll be upgrading. One of my faves from last year.

I know there are a few more, but these stood out for me.
Old 01-25-06, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Star Wars Sextupology...

2. Indiana Jones Trilogy

3. Lord of the Rings Trilogy

4. Spider-Man 1 and 2

5. Jurassic Park

6. Saving Private Ryan

7. The Fifth Element

8. The Crow

9. Sin City

10. Master and Commander

+++11+++ Matrix Trilogy

You know...this thread might lend itself to movies less than 20 years old due to the film quality available on newer films as opposed to older films without good clean originals left.
Old 01-25-06, 12:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy

2. Prospero's Books - shot in HiDef, then converted to 35mm, would love to see this mastered from the original source. The laserdisc I own is very muddy looking.

3. The Boyfriend - Ken Russell's over the top Busby Berkley homage would look spectacular in HiDef.

4. Suspiria - oh the colours!

5. Oklahoma! - the current Todd-AO edition is a travesty, come on Fox, clean this up and release in all it's glory

6. Playtime - if and when Criterion jumps on the bandwagon, this is the film I'd like to see the most, mastered from an original 65mm print.

7. Pinocchio - my personal favourite of the Disney films.

8. Moulin Rouge - with a in synch DTS track please.

9. Gladiator - extended cut.

10. Titanic -
Old 01-25-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gabeon
1. Star Wars Sextupology...

You know...this thread might lend itself to movies less than 20 years old due to the film quality available on newer films as opposed to older films without good clean originals left.
Why? Star Wars is more than 20 years old, yet it was restored meticulously. It looks incredible, don't you think?

I'm eventually upgrading them all-- some 785 of them. Sure, some will wait until the price is like 5-10 bucks since that's the price point I bought the original at.
Old 01-25-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Star Wars Trilogy (both)
2. Adventures of Indiana Jones
3. LOTR Trilogy
4. The Matrix Trilogy
5. Saving Private Ryan
6. Armageddon
7. The Game
8. True Lies
9. Titanic
10. Gladiator
Old 01-25-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) Pride and Prejudice (1996)

2) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

3) Lawrence of Arabia

4) The Sound of Music

5) Serenity

6) Star Wars (all of them)

7) Harry Potter movies (all of them)

8) The Lord of the Rings trilogy

9) Quigley Down Under

10) Superman: The Movie

11) The Mask of Zorro

12) Twister (as a sound test)

And perhaps some others that have mediocre or non-anamorphic DVD releases. For example: Father Goose, True Lies, Colossus: The Forbin Project (if it DID get released in HD I would hope that it would be OAR), Skinwalkers, Ladyhawke.

Last edited by lizard; 01-25-06 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-25-06, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by awmurray
Why? Star Wars is more than 20 years old, yet it was restored meticulously. It looks incredible, don't you think?
There are always going to be exceptions, but for the most part, the older movies might not be the best candidates for HD quality in my opinion. I have seen some of the older movies on HDNet Movies and the Universal HD channel, and they didn't look that impressive. That could, however, be the result of DirecTV's crappy MPEG2 compression.

Looking at some of these lists(Moulin Rouge, Harry Potter, Gladiator, etc)...I don't think I can keep it only to 10...

I would probably double-dip on about 50-100 titles and leave the rest in DVD format.
Old 01-25-06, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
9) Quigley Down Under
Is this a sentimental favorite, or is this one that you really want to see the Australian landscape in full HD glory?
Old 01-25-06, 02:10 PM
Retired

1-3 Lord of the Rings EEs
4-9 Star Wars saga
10- not sure
Old 01-25-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
1) The Last Samurai
2) Kill Bill
3) Speed
4) Seabiscuit
5) Batman Begins
6) Spider-Man
7) Gladiator
8) Star Wars
9) Stargate
10) Underworld
Old 01-25-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Assuming any of the titles listed are available, I will upgrade all the ones I own when there is a single format.
Old 01-25-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Brazil

First VHS I bought, first DVD I bought, if a good release comes out it can be the first HD DVD as well.

Other than that, not much; maybe a few with exceptional transfer or features, or that never made it to DVD, but I'm pretty happy (at least for now) with my current collection.

I may take advantage of some really good buys on used DVDs from people that sell off all their DVDs however.
Old 01-25-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gabeon
There are always going to be exceptions, but for the most part, the older movies might not be the best candidates for HD quality in my opinion. I have seen some of the older movies on HDNet Movies and the Universal HD channel, and they didn't look that impressive. That could, however, be the result of DirecTV's crappy MPEG2 compression.
A great deal of the problem is DirecTV's fault. Also, UHD is mostly horrible in the first place. They (studios? I assume) only seem to do a average job of remastering most the time. I often see film defects that could have been restored better if they tried harder. The resolution is higher, but otherwise many movies appear the same as your average DVD remaster for color, film defects, etc. H & D aren't magic letters that mean they will do better work.

I will only look to upgrade a few with the current state of things. Perhaps when I can afford a good LCOS or CRT 1080p projector and related equipment I will change my mind and want to upgrade as many discs as possible. By then the format war will certainly be over, and hopefully a fair library to choose from.

James Bond (cause the current ones suck)
LOTR
5th Element
Old 01-25-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles

2. Prospero's Books - shot in HiDef, then converted to 35mm, would love to see this mastered from the original source. The laserdisc I own is very muddy looking.
I've never seen this, but you mean the 1991 film, right? Not shot in HD, then. Perhaps you mean 70mm?
Old 01-25-06, 05:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
I've never seen this, but you mean the 1991 film, right? Not shot in HD, then. Perhaps you mean 70mm?

from imdb:

Technical Specifications for
Prospero's Books (1991)

Film length (metres)
3501 m
Film negative format (mm/video inches)
35 mm
Video
Cinematographic process
HDTV
Printed film format
35 mm
Aspect ratio
1.78 : 1 (negative ratio)

I remember even reading that when Greenaway sent the film to Japan for the Hidef - the nudity - at which that time was still pretty taboo - the film could only be screened and worked on by a very select few.
Old 01-25-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Star Wars (all of them)
Indiana Jones
Lord of the Rings
Alien
Aliens
The Godfather
The Shawshank Redemption
Old 01-25-06, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shizawn
Aliens
The Godfather
These 2 would certainly make my list. They both could use a new HD transfer.

Also, Heat comes to mind.
Old 01-25-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Star Wars Episode 3 was shot 1080p24 4:4:4 RGB so it should be interesting seeing how it looks on the little disc.

I, Robot is the de facto standard for DVHS and reference "prerecorded" HD so far. It will be the title to beat for HD-dvd/Blu-Ray to gain fans among videophiles.

Lastly, I agree with the Bond films because some of the dvds look terrible. I can't wait to see the work Lowry Digital, errr DTS digital images, did with them.
Old 01-25-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Salo !!!!!!
2. eXistenZ
3. Buffy - Chosen Collection
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Taxi Driver
6. Natural Born Killers (here's hoping they use the same cool embossed box design Pioneer did for their laserdisc set - that DVD cover is godawful)
7. The Cook, The Thief, His Wife And Her Lover
8. Serenity
9. 2046
10. Kill Bill (complete)

I wouldn't say no to upgrading 'Prospero's Books' or 'My So-Called Life' either.
Old 01-25-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
1. Lord of the Rings trilogy

any non-anamorphic DVDs I own.
Old 01-25-06, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy

3. The Boyfriend - Ken Russell's over the top Busby Berkley homage would look spectacular in HiDef.

4. Suspiria - oh the colours!

5. Oklahoma! - the current Todd-AO edition is a travesty, come on Fox, clean this up and release in all it's glory

6. Playtime - if and when Criterion jumps on the bandwagon, this is the film I'd like to see the most, mastered from an original 65mm print.

7. Pinocchio - my personal favourite of the Disney films.

8. Moulin Rouge - with a in synch DTS track please.

9. Gladiator - extended cut.

10. Titanic -

Excellent list!! Love "Prospero's Books" And yes, Greenaway is ahead of his time and that was shot HI-DEF. Would probably rebuy "The Cook, the Thief" in the format, too.
"Pinocchio" is also my fave Disney...and I cherish my DVD's of "Suspiria" and "Playtime" and would most certainly upgrade them. Kind of like titles in my own personal National Registery.
Old 01-25-06, 11:09 PM

All the Kubrick flicks....especially 2001, Barry Lyndon, and A Clockwork Orange. But mainly Clockwork and Barry Lyndon, as the current DVDs are non-anamorphic and sort of disappointing.
Old 01-25-06, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts
Really, only the ones w/ the most rewatchability.

The Fifth Element first and foremost. Probably all the SW flix. Other than that, I can't think of many movies I watch repeatedly.
Old 01-26-06, 02:28 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Not a top 10 list, but the only films that I think I'll really want to upgrade are:
- both Kill Bill movies (hopefully they'll exist as a single entity by that point)
- all three Lord of the Rings Extended Cuts.
- all of the David Lynch films they release.

Everything else that I own is fine in standard definition for me. Also, I won't be upgrading any of the above until the price of the software goes down from whatever the initial price points will be. I'm okay with spending extra money on a great player, but it's been my experience that the price of software always goes down if you wait long enough.
Old 01-26-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Excellent list!! Love "Prospero's Books" And yes, Greenaway is ahead of his time and that was shot HI-DEF. Would probably rebuy "The Cook, the Thief" in the format, too.
"Pinocchio" is also my fave Disney...and I cherish my DVD's of "Suspiria" and "Playtime" and would most certainly upgrade them. Kind of like titles in my own personal National Registery.
Ok, I'm not trying to be difficult. But, today's HD is lower resolution than 35mm film, as we've discussed recently. A transfer from an HD video master to 35mm film would look questionable, just like Episode II looked like crap in film theaters. If the 35mm copy was then used as a master for the LD, it SHOULD look muddy. That's a horrible method.

If this was actually shot with some sort of 1080 resolution video camera (nka HD) in 1991, I'm a little surprised. I wonder instead if these references are to the Japanese high-def LDs. I forget the name, Josh Z's site discusses it. But that's different from today's HD. Another possibility is this was some marketing point the director/studio made with their own terminology that just happens to be similar to today's terms.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.