Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-Ray on XBox 360 possible says MS

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Microsoft must be kind of shaky to actually say this in public:

Xbox marketing chief says Microsoft could release peripheral for the Sony-backed disc if HD-DVD loses format war.
Here's the link from gamespot.
Old 01-11-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
They're only protecting their own interests backing Hd-dvd. They are more interested in the future of media networking, and Sony as their primary competition, over optical disks. I'm sure they'll jump on anything to make money until that time comes.
Old 01-16-06, 01:54 AM

Looks like they issued an official statment on the subject.

http://www.planetxbox360.com/?view=article&article=782

"Microsoft firmly stands behind the HD-DVD format as the best choice for our consumers. As we’ve said before, we’re confident that HD-DVD will bring the excitement of high definition movies to the consumer faster and at a greater value. We believe that consumers have signaled what format they want to enjoy high definition DVD and we’re going to follow them down that path. The question of whether Xbox 360 has the flexibility to adapt to consumers’ needs is a different issue entirely. Xbox 360 is a future-proofed system – one that allows us to add features as consumers demand them – as evidenced by our offering of the HD DVD drive as an accessory. Current reports indicating that we have a back-up plan, which includes Blu-Ray support are incorrect. At this point, we’re fully committed to HD-DVD and have absolutely no plans to support other optical formats."

They say that now but I'll bet if HD-DVD flops they'll flock to Blu-Ray like flies to shit.
Old 01-16-06, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I was under the impression that the current model XBox 360 was unable to play either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray dvd, perhaps I am incorrect.

Microsoft has said it has "no plans" to add HD DVD optical disc technology to its Xbox 360 console
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12...ox_360_hd_dvd/
Old 01-16-06, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What they said, literally, is: "There are currently no plans to release an Xbox 360 equipped with a next generation DVD player."

Were they lying? Of course not! What they were planning is an add-on next generation DVD player for the Xbox 360. Which is not the same thing at all, you see.

Now, considering the Xbox 360 has no HDMI outputs, the most plausible solution is putting an HDMI out in the add-on player, which would be connected to the console through HDMI. Of course, then you have the problem of routing the signal to the Xbox for decoding and back again for transmission. Not to mention the copy protection along the line.

At this stage, I suspect it is 100% vaporware. That's not to say they can't eventually pull it off.
Old 01-16-06, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They're telling the truth. The Xbox 360 will never get a Blu-Ray player. But since the live span of a console is around 5 years, it wont need it. It'll take at least that long for a winner to emerge. If it does, the XBoxNext will have BluRay support (or some kind of broadband download feature).

D
Old 01-16-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

M$ is a whore. (apologies to any whores reading this) They will sell whatever can make them a buck. (and they've been pretty damn good at it) They have a long history of standing against a technology right up until the minute they announce they've bought the company that makes it, from which time it's the 'best thing to happen to the industry since Windows'. The only shock to me is that they are standing up so much for HD-DVD. That goes against their tradition of not supporting outside companies. If it becomes profitable, they will support BD. If nothing else, Windows has to support it.
Old 01-16-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, they've pretty much co-opted HD DVD from Toshiba. And as I said before, they are only using HD DVD as a temporary stepping stone towards a diskless scenario where they hold the keys to content.
Old 01-16-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. I will not buy an XBox 360 until the price really drops, and the only reason would to play Halo 3. (I do have a reg XBox)
-And I will not buy any add-ons for HD-DVDs
2. I will pick up a new Sony System if it does have Blue-Ray included.
3. Most of the time I like to keep my Game Systems and DVDs seperate, all-in-ones systems can really kill you if it dies.
Old 01-16-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
M$ is a whore. (apologies to any whores reading this) They will sell whatever can make them a buck. (and they've been pretty damn good at it) They have a long history of standing against a technology right up until the minute they announce they've bought the company that makes it, from which time it's the 'best thing to happen to the industry since Windows'. The only shock to me is that they are standing up so much for HD-DVD. That goes against their tradition of not supporting outside companies. If it becomes profitable, they will support BD. If nothing else, Windows has to support it.
How is MS any different then another big corporation? You may not like them, but Sony, GM, Toshiba, Wal-mart, etc. are no different. Every business does what best suits their needs and the needs of their shareholders first. It’s the nature of business. Frankly, as a shareholder (albeit a small one ), I would find it as a lack of good business sense if they didn’t some how incorporate it in if BR is the eventual winner of this format war.
Old 01-16-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
How is MS any different then another big corporation?
I'm not sure those other companies have had so much trouble with anti-trust lawsuits as MicroSoft. Basically MS is a monopoly and they use their influence illegally. They are notorious for slamming a technology right up until the time they announce they've bought the company and then claiming its the next best thing since Windows.

See this:

MicroSoft runs out of things to do with their $60,000,000,000 rainy day fund.

Last edited by awmurray; 01-16-06 at 05:13 PM.