Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

upgrade opinions...reciever or tv?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, I am definately getting into HD/BD. my tv is a Toshiba Cinema Series 57HX93 and only has DVI. the thing is, my tv still has around 2.5yrs. left on my warrantee and really don't want to toss that out the window. I asked a bit about this in another thread but figured I shouldn't contaminate that thread with completely off topic talk. now I'm also using a Pioneer VSX-1014 which doesn't have enough inputs for my complete A/V setup without some trick wiring. I would like to upgrade to the Denon AVR-4806. I was thinking that I could upgrade my reciever to the Denon and I could possibly use an HDMI to DVI cable to send the signal to the tv(correct?). the Denon would give me enough inputs for everything I have as well as enough if I added both HD/BD to my system. would this be a better way to go for the moment?

EDIT: entered wrong reciever model number. now the correct model number is listed. of course the reciever would cost just as much as a new tv but I'm trying to maximize my money at the moment.

Last edited by ChrisHicks; 01-09-06 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-09-06, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't upgrade your receiver until equipment supporting the new audio formats is released. The Denon may have multiple inputs, but it will only do DD and DTS at best. Hold out and wait for the next gen receivers comes out, save your cash and grab a switch box.
Old 01-09-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I say TV. If you plan on spending money on a receiver I'd wait for ones that have HDMI 1.3 inputs on them.