DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   "Wrong Forum" posts need to stop (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/96836-wrong-forum-posts-need-stop.html)

Master J 04-02-01 03:02 PM

Since the last thread pertaining to this subject magically diappeared, I decided to start a new thread.

Posts stating "wrong forum" or any simialar incarnation of the statement are unnecessary and do nothing to help the thread. Some look as the posts as padding, which is not that big an issue since post counts do not equate to anything, but the bigger issue is denegrating the tone of the thread.

It is much easier and more efficient to e-mail a moderator to let him know your feelings on a thread than to post "wrong forum" which could be construed as flame bait or an insult by the original poster. It will help help the forum operate more smoothly and help spread good will. Posts like this are right up the lines of "nice bargain" posts which many times lead to suspensions.

Thoughts, suggestions?

J

Josh H 04-02-01 03:35 PM

I agree. I must add that the mods have been a little slow in catching and moving stuff that is posted in the wrong forums lately. I realized they don't get compensated, so perhaps Geoff should add a couple mods to help keep up. I think DVD Talk/Movies,Movies,Movies definitely needs a couple more mods as that is where this is the biggest problem since the split is new.

Bust 04-03-01 01:28 AM

[randyc]

You guys need to get a sense of humor!

You're all so testy!

[/randyc]

this response is coming. I just thought I'd get it out of the way for him.

The reason I deleted the old thread on this topic was because certain moderators were taking it way off topic into some discussion about a Conspiracy Forum.

Not to mention, the "wrong forum" pads are really funny. I guess it just takes a good sense of humor to realize it.

But what do I know, I'm just overreacting.
-rolleyes-

[Edited by Bust on 04-02-01 at 11:30 PM]

SnoopDogg 04-03-01 02:29 AM

I dont understand why you guys are soooo worried about Wrong Forum and IBTL. If I see one, I just move on, no harm done. Doesn't hurt me seeing them. Whinners! :D

Bust 04-03-01 11:53 AM

Originally posted by SnoopDogg
I dont understand why you guys are soooo worried about Wrong Forum and IBTL. If I see one, I just move on, no harm done. Doesn't hurt me seeing them. Whinners! :D

I think you're missing the point. It's not about worrying and harm being done.

Imagine you start a thread and you mistankenly post it in the wrong forum. Let's say it's a burning question that you can't wait to have answered. You log on to DVD Talk the next day and click on the forum you posted in. You see your thread right at the top of the list and there are 4 replies. WOW you think, I will get my answer! So you click on your thread and the 4 replies consist of:

wrong fourm

in before the move

why is this posted in the bargains forum?

mods, please move this to the DVD Talk forum

I would think you might be a little annoyed. None of these posts does any good at all except to 1) Pad a post count, 2)Belittle you and your original post, or 3)try to show how perceptive these members are -rolleyes-.

But in the previous thread mentioned above, our mods already decided that these posts are really cool and funny.

RandyC 04-03-01 12:22 PM

Bust, I think you are still being testy...and you totally missed what I was saying in the other thread...and now have somehow changed it that I support the off topic posts.

You need to get a clue, as I do not support posts that say IBTL, or Wrong Forum, etc. I do not think they are funny. Your logic is truly bizarre.

I made a joke, you missed it...it did not have anything to do with this.

And yes, you are still overreacting.

Are you serious that I was serious about a conspiracy forum? Sheesh... THAT is what I meant about lighten up.

BadAsh 04-03-01 02:19 PM

You know, there is one thing that would help in this situation.

If the "Start Thread" Form would include a selection box that listed all Forums and you were required to select one and only one Forum to post your new thread to it may cut down on posts that are placed in the "wrong forum" to begin with. There could be a link to a "help" page to fully describe each forum that way the original poster will know what to post to and why.

This "selection" box could be defaulted based on the Forum the "Start Thread" originated from.

I would think this would be simple to do and since selection would be required, it would make the poster think before they do.... maybe in that case the selection box should not default.

I guess that is a thought. I know that some people post in the "wrong forum" on purpose sometimes in an effort to ensure high visibility. While the poster may like this, it isn't always appreciated by others. Some post unintentionally in the "wrong forum". In this case it wasn't really their fault but they will probably receive some rude comments pointing out the error. In either case the original starter of the thread should realize, they screwed up and they should not take the jabbs so personal.

I find myself responding to such threads trying to give an appropriate response (helpful) while also pointing out the error in the forum it was posted to.

Geoff, what are the chances of putting in a Forum "selection box" on the "Start Thread" Form?

Bust 04-03-01 02:52 PM

Originally posted by randyc
Bust, I think you are still being testy...
Imagine that.

and you totally missed what I was saying in the other thread...and now have somehow changed it that I support the off topic posts....as I do not support posts that say IBTL, or Wrong Forum, etc. I do not think they are funny. Your logic is truly bizarre.

This was my logic:

I started a thread with a completely legitimate idea that the "wrong forum" posts were unnecessary and should not be allowed. Your response in that thread was basically, [paraphrasing]"some people around here are so testy and need to get a sense of humor"[/paraphrasing]. You later confirmed that said post was referring to me (as well as others) and you never once said in that thread, "I do not support posts that say IBTL, or Wrong Forum, etc. I do not think they are funny."

Logic formula: Bust says "wrong forum" posts are unnecessary + randyc says Bust needs a sense of humor = randyc thinks "wrong forum" posts are funny

you're right! How bizarre! -rolleyes-

You need to get a clue...
At least I'm in good company around here. Who will be providing the clues? You? rotfl

Are you serious that I was serious about a conspiracy forum? Sheesh... THAT is what I meant about lighten up.
I never said that I thought you were serious about starting a conspiracy forum. But there is no denying that the thread was hijacked and the responses it recieved had degenerated into discussing this idea. The thread was no longer being used to discuss the original topic and so I deleted it before it was locked for going off topic. So no, I wasn't serious. Is THAT what you meant?

RandyC 04-03-01 03:22 PM

Nope! Suffice to say you still don't get it....and your paraphrasing is way off. But now you have made it your crusade to whine about your confused perception and have managed to (ironically) take another thread off topic.

Master J 04-03-01 05:38 PM

Good thoughts BadAsh. If someone is to post "wrong forum" into a thread at least do it contructively where you add something to the thread then suggest maybe it would be better suited elsewhere. This gives the original poster a chance to request a change as well as you who noticed the mistake to contact the moderator.

As for randyc and Bush, you guys go at it quite a bit. I think a thread is in order just for you guys to have it out man to man, may the best DVDtalker win ;)

J

[Edited by Master J on 04-03-01 at 03:43 PM]

RandyC 04-03-01 05:52 PM

Originally posted by Master J

As for randyc and Bush, you guys go at it quite a bit. I think thread is in order just for you guys to have it out man to man, may the best DVDtalker win ;)

J

Hey, I was beating the Bush! :p

But that Bust...that is another story. I think I am done debating, because we are really debating two different things.

P.S. I agree (and I always try to do this) with the add content to the intended humor point. I posted way back that the Nice Bargain threads were way out of line. If it's a newbie, KINDLY suggest the correct forum. Ask a mod to move it.

As Mod, I move threads everyday, and I also try at the same time to provide an answer if I can.

BoatDrinks 04-03-01 08:26 PM

So, let me get this right...

Bust and MasterJ are asking for what? For people to stop pointing out that they didn't spend about 3 seconds of thought and realize which forum their thread should go into?

rotfl

Just think if you took all the energy you have expelled here complaining and put it to use to *think* before you post, you'd probably never be in the wrong forum again!

When I post a "Moving to..." remark it is intended to help the thread starter realize his/her error and maybe take the time to fix it.

If it really annoys you so much to have a couple of posts telling you to move, then maybe you ought to spend another couple of seconds thinking before you start a thread???

This is a joke, right? -rolleyes-

Adam Tyner 04-03-01 09:09 PM

Originally posted by BoatDrinks
When I post a "Moving to..." remark it is intended to help the thread starter realize his/her error and maybe take the time to fix it.

Leave the moderation to the moderators.

"Moving to..." posts are every bit as obnoxious and wholly unnecessary as "IBTL"s. They don't particularly bother me, but anyone thinking that they're in some way providing a positive contribution to the forum by posting such messages is deluding himself.

Scott27 04-03-01 09:24 PM

Originally posted by ctyner

Leave the moderation to the moderators.

"Moving to..." posts are every bit as obnoxious and wholly unnecessary as "IBTL"s. They don't particularly bother me, but anyone thinking that they're in some way providing a positive contribution to the forum by posting such messages is deluding himself.

Exactly. And just what kind of help is it to the original poster if you post "Moving to..." or IBTL after 20 people already did it before you? I think by that time, he gets the point.

Bushdog 04-03-01 11:47 PM

FWIW, I find IBTL, IBTM, and Wrong Forum very annoying. If I see it once or twice, I just ignore it. I do notice certain members who seem to live off of these posts though, and they annoy me. In fact, unless I heard differently from the other Mods, I would tend to delete these posts, when I see them.

BoatDrinks 04-04-01 02:27 PM

I think we're getting off on another topic. What Bush and the last couple of posters are speaking is padding.

I was responding to the original post of this thread.

And it still makes me laugh that you people are pouring so much energy into debating this, but refuse to use 1/10th of that top make sure you're in the right forum.

Wow, how lazy we have gotten.

Scott27 04-04-01 02:48 PM

And it still makes me laugh that you people are pouring so much energy into debating this, but refuse to use 1/10th of that top make sure you're in the right forum.
I guess I can "debate" this all I want, then, because in nearly a year I have been a member here, I have never had one post moved for being in the wrong forum.

Adam Tyner 04-04-01 03:19 PM

I think we're getting off on another topic. What Bush and the last couple of posters are speaking is padding.
As far as I can tell, we're all still talking about the same thing.

I don't recall ever having a post moved.

foxdvd 04-04-01 04:31 PM

If I see a new member post something like "Hey I got a good deal on this dvd here" in the wrong forum, and I know they are new, I might post "Thanks for the info. On a side note, there is a bargains forum for this, and I am sure the moderators will close this and move it there soon. Just a heads up."

I see nothing wrong with that. The prob. is some people like power in any form, and just love doing things like "Wrong forum"

Still I think all of this is silly, and we should just let anyone do anything they want! :)

Master J 04-04-01 04:37 PM

I was responding to the original post of this thread.

Wow, how lazy we have gotten.

*Scratching Head*

I am really at a loss as to what you are referring to here. I dont think I have ever had a post moved, or for that matter posted in the wrong forum. The issue was making needless posts about "wrong forum" when the accomplish nothing without contacting a moderator.

Maybe the subject it is too complicated or you do not understand the topic, but you are really missing the point. I can explain more, but it is pretty well laid out in my initial post. The issue was never padding, oh well...

J

Master J 04-04-01 04:39 PM

Originally posted by foxdvd
If I see a new member post something like "Hey I got a good deal on this dvd here" in the wrong forum, and I know they are new, I might post "Thanks for the info. On a side note, there is a bargains forum for this, and I am sure the moderators will close this and move it there soon. Just a heads up."

I see nothing wrong with that. The prob. is some people like power in any form, and just love doing things like "Wrong forum"

Still I think all of this is silly, and we should just let anyone do anything they want! :)

Thats the main point of the argument. People just post "wrong forum" or whatever just for the sake of doing so. It is not needed especially when it is more than once in one thread. If everyone is concerned so much about things being in the wrong forum why not just e-mail the mod and nip it in the bud?

J

BoatDrinks 04-04-01 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Master J

Thats the main point of the argument. People just post "wrong forum" or whatever just for the sake of doing so. It is not needed especially when it is more than once in one thread. If everyone is concerned so much about things being in the wrong forum why not just e-mail the mod and nip it in the bud?
J

This is what I was trying to explain to you... what you are talking about here is padding. You may think it is a lot of people really upset that there's a thread out of place, but it is not. Trust me, it's padding.

It's a separate issue from "If threads out of place bother you, then e-mail a Mod."

Spend a little more time around here, especially in the Other Forum, and "wrong forum" posts will quickly become the least of your concerns.

And to Ct and scott and the others... gentlemen, it's a moot point. We have different opinions. I feel that complaining about "wrong forum" posts is akin to complaining about any other form of padding - there's nothing that can be done about it and when you really step back, it's not that big of a deal. But obviously it bothers you a lot. I'm just surprised that you are not bothered by the multitude of other posts (or pads) around here that (IMHO) seem much more bothersome than "wrong forum."

If you think my "Moving to..." posts are pads, that's your take and I respect that. But I doubt you could find one that was ever entered after another so called "wrong forum" post. If you feel it would be easier for me to e-mail a Mod and explain the situation, to be honest, it doesn't matter that much to me. I post it, usually within the first few posts of the thread to see if the starter might delete and reassign. If not, so be it. Who cares?

I really think there are other things to worry about.

Adam Tyner 04-04-01 06:09 PM

But obviously it bothers you a lot.
Re-read my first post in this thread a little more closely.

I'm just surprised that you are not bothered by the multitude of other posts (or pads) around here that (IMHO) seem much more bothersome than "wrong forum."
That's quite a conclusion to make. Apparently you don't read "Forum Feedback and Suggestions" regularly. I, as well as a number of the participants in this thread, regularly post about padding and numerous other forum issues.

If you think my "Moving to..." posts are pads, that's your take and I respect that.
The way foxdvd described pointing out an off-topic post is the mature and intelligent way to do so, though still unneccessary. A four word post like "Moving to TV TALK" strikes me as snotty, slightly hostile, and immature. Your mileage, of course, may vary. Besides, if you're pointing this out to newbies who aren't familiar with the forum, do you think they'd know to delete their thread and replace it elsewhere? Maybe they'd assume from your faux-moderator post that you actually had the ability to move threads or something. I've been here long enough to just ignore inane, unnecessary posts like that, but if <i>I</i> were a newbie and someone posted a response like that to one of my first messages, I'd imagine I'd think "What an ass." and move on to greener pastures.

Sure there are. Start a thread about those 'things' or reply to an existing thread. I'm glad to see 'wrong forum' posts addressed, personally.

BoatDrinks 04-04-01 06:15 PM

Originally posted by ctyner

But obviously it bothers you a lot.
Re-read my first post in this thread a little more closely.

I'm just surprised that you are not bothered by the multitude of other posts (or pads) around here that (IMHO) seem much more bothersome than "wrong forum."
That's quite a conclusion to make. Apparently you don't read "Forum Feedback and Suggestions" regularly. I, as well as a number of the participants in this thread, regularly post about padding and numerous other forum issues.

If you think my "Moving to..." posts are pads, that's your take and I respect that.
The way foxdvd described pointing out an off-topic post is the mature and intelligent way to do so, though still unneccessary. A four word post like "Moving to TV TALK" strikes me as snotty, slightly hostile, and immature. Your mileage, of course, may vary. Besides, if you're pointing this out to newbies who aren't familiar with the forum, do you think they'd know to delete their thread and replace it elsewhere? Maybe they'd assume from your faux-moderator post that you actually had the ability to move threads or something. I've been here long enough to just ignore inane, unnecessary posts like that, but if <i>I</i> were a newbie and someone posted a response like that to one of my first messages, I'd imagine I'd think "What an ass." and move on to greener pastures.

Sure there are. Start a thread about those 'things' or reply to an existing thread. I'm glad to see 'wrong forum' posts addressed, personally.

Wow.

Scott27 04-04-01 07:13 PM

I feel that complaining about "wrong forum" posts is akin to complaining about any other form of padding - there's nothing that can be done about it
Will all do respect you are very wrong in your statement that "nothing can be done about" wrong forumposts and other types of padding, Geoff can very easily say posting "wrong forum," "Moving to...," etc. would lead to suspension/banning, much like he did with "Nice bargain" posts (from what I have heard, although those were before my time here so I don't have personal experience with them). [Note: I am not saying he should implement such a policy, I am just saying that he could, and it would most likely put an end to those types of posts.]

and when you really step back, it's not that big of a deal. But obviously it bothers you a lot.
It bothers me a lot. Thank you for putting words in my mouth. Let's review my first post in this thread:

And just what kind of help is it to the original poster if you post "Moving to..." or IBTL after 20 people already did it before you? I think by that time, he gets the point
Two simple sentences, posted in passing. Believe me - if it bothered me a lot, I would have posted a lot more than that.

As Adam said, in the past couple months, I have contributed my thoughts against other unnecessary (pad) posts in threads similar to this one here in Feedback. If you would like, I will post some examples.

If you think my "Moving to..." posts are pads, that's your take and I respect that. But I doubt you could find one that was ever entered after another so called "wrong forum" post.
Nobody mentioned anything in this thread about you posting "Moving to..." except for yourself. None of us are discussing whether or not you are one of the people who does it before or after other "wrong forum" posts - this thread is about that type of thread in general.