DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   New Ad Server (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/96220-new-ad-server.html)

GeoffK 03-31-01 02:59 PM

Just a quick note to let you know we're testing out a new ad server on the site. Please report any problems you may have.

Thanks
Geoff

stevevt 03-31-01 04:34 PM

It was delaying page loading by around 1 or 2 seconds, but isn't any more.

I'm on a cable modem.

GeoffK 03-31-01 04:52 PM

I was loading the box shots at the top via a java script and that seemed to slow things down... so I switched over to loading them via images... So that should have resolved that issue.

Thanks

stevevt 03-31-01 06:14 PM

And now there's a 2-3 second pause.

Edit = ...but only in some of the forums.

[Edited by stevevt on 03-31-01 at 04:18 PM]

GeoffK 03-31-01 06:23 PM

Unfortunately I had to go back to javscript tags, the image tags weren't loading correctly and the click throughs weren't working.

Still testing.

Steve... What browser are you using?

stevevt 03-31-01 06:34 PM

Navigator 4.73

I had to restart my computer a minute ago; I think it was a java-enabled crash.

And I'm typing this in IE, since Navigator has crashed yet again.

Gonna restart again...

Scott27 03-31-01 06:40 PM

I'm using IE 5.5 and am having no problems at all, if that helps.

GeoffK 03-31-01 06:54 PM

The javascript in the ads is sooooooo basic that it shouldn't cause crashes....theoretically

stevevt 03-31-01 07:09 PM

Originally posted by gkleinman
The javascript in the ads is sooooooo basic that it shouldn't cause crashes....theoretically
I had to switch to IE.

Navigator was slowed to a crawl. IE is working fine (assuming I'm grading on a curve).

X 03-31-01 11:21 PM

The response time completely sucks due to waiting for ads.kleinman.com.

I got one of the rare, but most frequently found in sucky websites, hangups in Netscape where I had to close Netscape and go into task manager to shut down another errant instance of Netscape before being able to successfully run it again.

namja 03-31-01 11:30 PM

Netscape is quite slow b/c it downloads all 5 pics before displaying anything on the threads.

IE is okay b/c the threads load up, and the pics just load a little later.

X 03-31-01 11:44 PM

Originally posted by namja
Netscape is quite slow b/c it downloads all 5 pics before displaying anything on the threads.

IE is okay b/c the threads load up, and the pics just load a little later.

But all things being equal, the 5 pics load about 10 times slower.

X 03-31-01 11:46 PM

And I got hung up again and had to do the task manager end process thing again.

I would say the new ad server makes Netscape essentially unusable.

I swear, it takes like 15-20 seconds to see anything on a page when you go to a new thread. In San Francisco! Totally unacceptable for Netscape users and a bad April Fool's joke.

Note: I tried IE and it worked much better, perfectly acceptably.

Post note: Now Netscape is working faster. Other than the Dr. Watson, it's acceptable now. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow before I start hanging out at VHS Talk.

Post post note: Naw, it sucks again. I give up. It's doing that worst of all technique of killing Netscape and leaving an instance invisibly running in the background so no foreground instance will ever complete a page view. I never go back to sites that do that! At least I never have before.

And ad servers really should not be run on notebooks.

[Edited by X on 03-31-01 at 10:23 PM]

joltaddict 04-01-01 12:18 AM

It crashed Netscape once for me tonight and it continues to delay off the 8081 port.

GeoffK 04-01-01 01:45 AM

I tried something to address the netscape issue. Let me know if it works.

conkie 04-01-01 03:22 AM

hum is that why i have 5 blank boxes at the top of the page that say Click here? (ps i am behind a Firewall, so if it's loading off any port but 80 or 53 thats why)
I will have to check when i get home. but no images. Just Red X's.

Oh never mind heres the problem
http://ads.kleinman.com:8081/adj?Pool=dvdtalkhotdvd&ajtype=cgi_image&ajkey=398957&lang_use=unique

X 04-01-01 10:24 AM

I tried something to address the netscape issue. Let me know if it works.
Much, much better. Each image seems to complete loading on its own and entire page loading is faster and smoother. Thanks!

djones6746 04-01-01 10:30 AM

Thank God I do not have Netscape at home...this has been a nightmare at work this weekend trying to access threads etc..... :)

stevevt 04-01-01 11:48 AM

It's back to horrific on Navigator.

Crashy and slow.

I.e., I'm on IE again.

ydkjman 04-01-01 03:52 PM

I am seeing a delay in the loadin of the pages as well right now. I'm on IE 5.0

ydkjman 04-01-01 04:16 PM

This is really buging me. Because there is such a delay, when I start scrolling down then the page finally loads all the way it jumps back back up a few line messing my reading up.

stevevt 04-01-01 05:07 PM

Navigator is unusable.

In case you needed an update.

GeoffK 04-01-01 05:12 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.htm

THX 1138 04-01-01 05:17 PM

the ad server makes loading time slow.

stevevt 04-01-01 06:46 PM

hardy har har

Scott27 04-01-01 06:49 PM

Originally posted by stevevt

hardy har har

Seriously, why don't you download IE to use with DVDTalk, and use Netscape for the rest of your Web surfing? That wouldn't be too much trouble for you, would it?

GeoffK 04-01-01 07:00 PM

Here's the situation.

Our contract with Double Click ended, and with the downturn in the .com ad space we couldn't afford to renew our contract. So we did research and found an ad server which will work with the volume of traffic that our forum gets.

There are several ways of 'calling ads' from the server and the first way we tried was Straight Java Script. This was slowing the page load in ALL browsers. So we then tried IMAGE tags, but things weren't functioning correctly. So now we're using a combo of JavaScript and img tags. We added some code which is supposed to fix some issues with Netscape, and it seems to for many of the versions, but not all.

I'll keep testing and reading and see what we can come up with, but this IS our new ad server, and at some point we're going to have to live with it.

minifigg 04-01-01 08:17 PM

Originally posted by X
The response time completely sucks due to waiting for ads.kleinman.com.

I got one of the rare, but most frequently found in sucky websites, hangups in Netscape where I had to close Netscape and go into task manager to shut down another errant instance of Netscape before being able to successfully run it again.

word. I am also having to use IE. :(

GeoffK 04-01-01 08:42 PM

I hope you Netscapers Appreciate this.... I just spent the better half of the past hour and a half recoding all the ads on the forum with Layer/Ilayer tags.

Let me know if this doesn't fix it.

X 04-01-01 09:52 PM

Thanks, Geoff. It's looking much better!

Running a site is a bitch, isn't it? :)

G. Noel Gross 04-01-01 11:58 PM

I had to give up my beloved Netscape weeks ago. Resistance, it seems, IS futile.

stevevt 04-02-01 07:46 AM

I hope you Netscapers Appreciate this.... I just spent the better half of the past hour and a half recoding all the ads on the forum with Layer/Ilayer tags.

Let me know if this doesn't fix it.

Thanks Geoff. I'll let you know when I connect from home later today.

Look for a little something extra in your check this week. ;)

G. Noel Gross 04-02-01 10:55 AM

At office ...

It may be a temporary glitch, but the new ads aren't working for me this morning. They won't load at all. I'm on a Windoze NT with IE.

From home ...

Must have been a firewall thing. Seems to work fine here on my Mac with IE.

[Edited by noelgross on 04-02-01 at 05:43 PM]

Mike Meeks 04-03-01 01:31 AM

I also get a 3-4 second extra delay. Sucks. Bring back the bottom ad banner. Anything is better than this.

stevevt 04-03-01 08:19 AM

Forgot to post this last night.

Navigator was running hot and cold last night.

Sometimes it was fine, sometimes it'd give me a 3 second pause, sometimes it'd give me a 15 second pause, and sometime it'd completely hang me up.

Patman 04-03-01 09:12 AM

I'm on NT4.0 and Netscape 4.76 and DVDTalk is simply unusable, and it hoses my other Netscape browser windows. I'll see how Netscape 4.76 or 6.0 behaves on my home PC running Win98SE tonight.

I'm posting this via IE 5.5 and I hate IE because I have click the reload button on every single page view to get the most current postings. I did not have to do this with Netscape, thus my affinity for using Netscape. But if this new ad server is Netscape-adversed, than so be it, I'll be moving on whenever I get tired of having to re-click the reload button.

Adam Tyner 04-03-01 09:28 AM

Patman: Go to Tools->Internet Options->General->Temporary Internet Files->Settings and change the "Check for newer versions of stored pages" radio button. I have mine on 'Automatic' and have <i>never</i> had to hit 'reload', but changing your settings might help matters.

BadAsh 04-03-01 10:21 AM

The adds appear to work in IE 5.5 via my home dial-up but are not working in IE 5.5 through the LAN at work (possibly the firewall).

All pages load but the ads never seem toload and at times come up like a web page with an error during load (each square).

G. Noel Gross 04-03-01 11:26 AM

Yeah, that firewall stuff is a pain. Not only does it not load the images ... it throws me to a FILE NOT FOUND page, or some such. Have to hit the BACK button.

nizzo 04-03-01 01:04 PM

Im at work and the site is not usable. Im using IE5.0. It could be the company firewall, though. But, the site has been working fine the past several months. Now, absolutely no images are loading and it takes about 2-3 minutes to load a page.