DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   The Bouillabaise Subterfuge Smorgasbord thread doesn't open right for me (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/650395-bouillabaise-subterfuge-smorgasbord-thread-doesnt-open-right-me.html)

Nick Danger 04-29-20 06:39 PM

The Bouillabaise Subterfuge Smorgasbord thread doesn't open right for me

This thread on Other always opens to post #739 when I click on the "Go to the First New Post" button on the Other Forum page. The post is three weeks old, and I'm tired of it.

Adam Tyner 04-29-20 08:25 PM

Re: The Bouillabaise Subterfuge Smorgasbord thread doesn't open right for me

Does it seem to work now? I did a little something that might rejigger whatever was loose.

Nick Danger 04-29-20 08:47 PM

Please bump the thread. Until someone does that, I won't get a "Go to the First New Post" button.

The Cow 04-29-20 08:49 PM

Go to the first new post, go directly to the first new post, do not pass GO, do not collect a stimulus check.

-Uncle Pennybags

Adam Tyner 04-29-20 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 13732881)
Please bump the thread.

Done!

Nick Danger 04-30-20 09:17 AM

It's still happening. The thread opened to your post, but after the page fully loaded, it jumped to post 739.

Adam Tyner 04-30-20 11:26 AM

Ah, I understand what you mean now. Yeah, it does that to me on my phone too. It actually does that in basically every thread I look at on mobile, so I've just gotten in the habit of scrolling to the top of the page and clicking "Go to 1st Unread". I think it's worse on threads with tons of images and embeds.

Nick Danger 04-30-20 12:07 PM

I'm using a desktop. It's noticeable because it only happens on that thread. Can you spoilerize the images in that long post to see what happens?

Adam Tyner 04-30-20 12:21 PM

I spoiler’ed two particularly large posts and bumped it. Let me know if you have better luck.

Nick Danger 04-30-20 12:59 PM

It looks like that fixed it. Thanks!

Nick Danger 05-13-20 01:11 PM

It's causing problems again. I clicked the button that links to the last post in the thread, and after the thread loaded it jumped up to my most recent comment, post 759.

IBJoel 05-14-20 03:46 PM

I would probably just recommend turning off Infinite Scroll, if you have it on

The Cow 05-14-20 06:31 PM

I don't see what he's seeing in that thread, but I do see the same thing occasionally. Infinite scroll is evil, I'd never turn that back on.

For me, it eventually clears up when the posts bump to another page.

I noticed one time that I only saw it from the PC browser, then I noticed that I only saw it on a particular browser on the same PC. That took me down to clearing the cookies in that particular browser which seemed to fix it. (at least for the "First new post in a thread button")

Adam Tyner 05-14-20 07:04 PM

My suspicion is that the 'new post' link is taking you to a certain depth in the page before embeds, images, etc. load. And when those things do start popping in, the browser is trying to keep you at that same depth, but since the page is getting longer, it keeps bumping you further and further up to compensate.

IBJoel 05-15-20 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13741477)
My suspicion is that the 'new post' link is taking you to a certain depth in the page before embeds, images, etc. load. And when those things do start popping in, the browser is trying to keep you at that same depth, but since the page is getting longer, it keeps bumping you further and further up to compensate.

I can imagine this is especially true if you have 40 posts/page enabled.