Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

disgusting spam

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-20, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 585 Posts
disgusting spam

I'm getting messages from "DVD Talk Newsletter" that seem to be actually related to this site. The messages are offensive, and scams. Have we been sold out? Am I now doomed to a cascade of filth in my inbox, that will drown out legit messages from DVD talk?
Old 02-22-20, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: disgusting spam

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
I'm getting messages from "DVD Talk Newsletter" that seem to be actually related to this site. The messages are offensive, and scams. Have we been sold out? Am I now doomed to a cascade of filth in my inbox, that will drown out legit messages from DVD talk?
I came here to post about this too! Got a message about how to effectively empty my bowels...? Some kind of woo woo hippie earth medicine BS. The DVDTalk logo was on it too. What the hell is going on?
Old 02-22-20, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Yeah, I got that email, too. Didn't look at very closely because it looked odd.
Old 02-23-20, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

I noticed that it was in my spam folder.
Old 02-24-20, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Hi guys! So the good news is that we do not sell your information. If you check the sender, you'll note it contains "IB" (Internet Brands, DVD Talk's parent company). A company wants to send out an ad, sometimes not media-related, and we use our mailing list. But they never see any of your information. If you want to stop receiving those emails, simply click "Remove Me" at the bottom. Opting out/removing yourself will not effect your forum emails.
Old 02-24-20, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did click remove me, and tell IB not to let this ever happen again. I never opted in for that in the first place. You're disgusting people.
Old 02-25-20, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
I did click remove me, and tell IB not to let this ever happen again. I never opted in for that in the first place. You're disgusting people.
That's a tiny bit dramatic, don't you think?
The following 3 users liked this post by joeblow69:
IBJoel (02-25-20), ibobi (02-27-20), VinVega (02-26-20)
Old 02-25-20, 09:02 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

I'm curious as to what was in this email!
Old 02-25-20, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is what I received. I've removed all links from the URLs, as they link to something other than what they show.

Dear DVDTalk,

We’ve been told our whole lives to eat certain fruits, vegetables, and whole grains to stay in good health.

However, according to Dr. Steven Gundry — a world-renowned heart surgeon — many so called “health foods” in the American diet contain a dangerous toxin, that could be expanding your waistline.

“This toxin causes micro-tears to form in your fragile intestinal-wall — allowing bacteria and waste products to seep into your body.” Says Dr. Gundry.

This harmful condition is best known as “leaky gut,” and it’s affecting millions of people nationwide. Warning signs include weight gain, fatigue, digestive discomfort, stiff, achy joints, and even skin problems.

Dr. Gundry explains, “These side effects are often mistaken for normal signs of aging, because leaky gut usually develops over a matter of years, and sometimes even decades. But I can assure you, the damage caused by these so called “health foods” is far from normal.”

The good news is, this problem can be easily fixed from your own home.

“It’s very simple, you just have to know which foods are actually healthy, and which contain this hidden toxin,” he goes on to explain.

By simply eliminating this harmful toxin, Dr. Gundry has seen thousands of his own patients make swift recoveries. (In fact, he even lost 70lbs himself!)

Now, after years of research, Dr. Gundry has decided to release an informative video to the public — free and uninterrupted — showcasing exactly which foods you need to avoid.

“Good health is one of life’s toughest obstacles,” he explains. “So, if this video can help people achieve that, I’ll be thrilled to hear I was of help.”

The video has since gone viral, first being shared by users on Facebook, then being featured on news sites like ABC and CBS.

So far, the comments and feedback have been outstanding, with thousands of Americans feeling better than they have in decades.

Click here to watch the presentation:

Watch The VideoDr. Gundry also serves as the personal physician to many A-list celebrities.

Most notable of which include legendary self-help guru Tony Robbins, Oscar award winning actor Alan Arkin, Grammy award winning singer Usher, and countless fortune 500 executives.

Now, there is one thing Dr. Gundry asks from his viewers: “If watching this helps you take control of your weight back, fight unwanted cravings, increase your energy, ease gas and bloating, or find relief from stiff, achy joints,” Dr. Gundry says... “Then please share this video with your friends and loved ones. Together, we can help as many people avoid these health issues as possible.”

Click here to watch the presentation

You can read This DVD Talk Newsletter Online at:http://www.DVDTalk.com/

Your subscribed e-mail address to this publication is: removed@hotmail.com - If you do not wish to receive our publication Click Here.

© 2017 DVDTalk.com ISSN#: 1525-6294. ISIPP Accredited. All Rights Reserved. Please read our Privacy Policy and legal Terms of Service.

This email was sent by: DVDTalk
909 N. Sepulveda Blvd., 11th Flr El Segundo, CA, 90245, USA
Old 02-25-20, 10:13 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Yeah, you know what. I'm with Mrs. Danger on this.

What a fucking pathetic practice and justification. Based on the text above, comes off as an "official" newsletter from an "official" IB/DVDTalk email, but is explained away as "some advertisers pay for this option."
If you're that desperate to sell ads in new, innovative ways like spamming emails with scam/gross content, just shut it all down already. Jesus.

I didn't get these emails as far as I can tell (I think I've had emails turned off for some time), but I did discover an email from a Mod from way back in November about my bad behavior, so there's that.
(to the Mod who sent that, sorry I never replied. I didn't see it.)
Old 02-25-20, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Incidentally, this was the title of the email: How To Entirely Empty Your Bowels Every Morning - Top Surgeon Explains How

Dan, as I said, mine ended up in my spam folder, rightly so.
Old 02-25-20, 11:10 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Incidentally, this was the title of the email: How To Entirely Empty Your Bowels Every Morning - Top Surgeon Explains How
very DVDTalk if you think about it.

Dan, as I said, mine ended up in my spam folder, rightly so.
Yeah, I did see that. Sounds like that's not the case for everyone who got it.
Old 02-25-20, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I would think that we're pretty much all getting to that age where info about emptying your bowels every morning would actually be of interest!
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (02-26-20)
Old 02-26-20, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

No spam for me, I guess I'm still young enough where I can successfully empty my bowels without DVDTalk's help.
Old 02-26-20, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I never received the disgusting e-mail. I checked my junk e-mail folder to see if it ended up there. As a result, I was exposed to lots of other disgusting stuff.
Old 02-26-20, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Hi guys! So the good news is that we do not sell your information. If you check the sender, you'll note it contains "IB" (Internet Brands, DVD Talk's parent company). A company wants to send out an ad, sometimes not media-related, and we use our mailing list. But they never see any of your information. If you want to stop receiving those emails, simply click "Remove Me" at the bottom. Opting out/removing yourself will not effect your forum emails.
That's a gross misuse of the newsletter mailing list. People signed up for the newsletter to get "a comprehensive list of the most notable DVDs released this week, and what's coming up next week, links to DVD reviews you shouldn't miss, Interviews with top film makers and actors about DVD, pointers to great deals on great DVDs and special DVD Giveaways." To repurpose that, 7 years after the last newsletter went out, for marketing purposes is a spiritual violation of the content that subscribers thought they were going to get when they signed up. If you're not going to send out actual Newsletters anymore, then just shut the mailing list down, don't abuse it.

Your subscription page even says: "you will NOT get SPAM". I think any reasonable person on the mailing list would interpret receiving that message as "getting spam". Sure, you didn't give the actual subscriber information to the spammers, but you facilitated the delivery of the spam content to the subscribers nonetheless.
The following 5 users liked this post by TheBang:
Dan (02-26-20), Meathead (02-27-20), Nick Danger (02-27-20), Norm de Plume (02-26-20), Trevor (02-27-20)
Old 02-26-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I didn't get it as I don't get emails from this site, but if I did I'd report it to spam database to get all emails from the address flagged as spam automatically.
Old 02-26-20, 09:10 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I haven't received any of the SPAM everyone's talking about but I went into Edit Options and unchecked "Receive our newsletter and special promotions from our partners" to prevent it from ever happening. I used to enjoy getting emails from DVD Talk about the latest reviews but I haven't received any of those in awhile.

Apparently, "special promotions from our partners" opens the door to just about anything. I can do without that.
Old 02-26-20, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kd5
I haven't received any of the SPAM everyone's talking about but I went into Edit Options and unchecked "Receive our newsletter and special promotions from our partners" to prevent it from ever happening. I used to enjoy getting emails from DVD Talk about the latest reviews but I haven't received any of those in awhile.
Mine isn't checked and I've been receiving the newsletter.
Old 02-26-20, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Mine isn't checked and I've been receiving the newsletter.
Mine isn't checked, and I received the spam.
Old 02-26-20, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by andicus
Mine isn't checked, and I received the spam.
Must be something else triggering the newsletter.
Old 02-27-20, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TheBang
That's a gross misuse of the newsletter mailing list. People signed up for the newsletter to get "a comprehensive list of the most notable DVDs released this week, and what's coming up next week, links to DVD reviews you shouldn't miss, Interviews with top film makers and actors about DVD, pointers to great deals on great DVDs and special DVD Giveaways." To repurpose that, 7 years after the last newsletter went out, for marketing purposes is a spiritual violation of the content that subscribers thought they were going to get when they signed up. If you're not going to send out actual Newsletters anymore, then just shut the mailing list down, don't abuse it.

Your subscription page even says: "you will NOT get SPAM". I think any reasonable person on the mailing list would interpret receiving that message as "getting spam". Sure, you didn't give the actual subscriber information to the spammers, but you facilitated the delivery of the spam content to the subscribers nonetheless.
Wasn't my call and I am not involved in the creation or distribution of these emails. When you guys don't like them, I tell our sales team.

You can review our terms of service. According to everything I understand, these emails do not violate any agreements with the site or legal terms.
https://www.internetbrands.com/ibterms/

If you want to continue the conversation about this, I encourage you to contact our privacy office:
https://www.internetbrands.com/priva...ighlights.html
Old 02-27-20, 11:22 AM
Administrator

If you unsubscribe from the unwanted email via the link in said email, you shouldn't get them anymore, but will still get our newsletter. If you uncheck that box in your settings, you will no longer receive either the sales emails or our newsletter. they are two different mailing lists.
Old 02-27-20, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Wasn't my call and I am not involved in the creation or distribution of these emails. When you guys don't like them, I tell our sales team.
No one in this thread blamed you directly for what happened. However, as the designated corporate liaison for the site, you represent the corporate interests here (no one else non-technical comes here (Edit: sometimes IBobi)), so of course you're going to hear about our complaints. I have zero interest in seeking out IB's privacy office to "have a conversation." You should be communicating and advocating for our concerns, not throwing up your metaphorical hands and saying, "It wasn't me, guys!"

(BTW, I do appreciate your increased presence, and even participation, on the board recently)

You can review our terms of service. According to everything I understand, these emails do not violate any agreements with the site or legal terms.
Again, no one in this thread accused IB of violating any terms or laws (and believe me, I read through all the CAN-SPAM requirements to see if anything had been violated). But just because something is allowed, it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Actions like this alienate your long-term members. So again, instead of hiding behind a "but it's legal" argument, take our feedback to heart and advocate for our concerns.

Last edited by TheBang; 02-27-20 at 08:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (02-27-20)
Old 02-27-20, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope, I didn't accuse IB of doing anything illegal. I just accused them of being opportunistic and disgusting.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.