Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Song of the South

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts
Song of the South

I keep seeing advertisements for a DVD of Song of the South. It's been happening for a week or two. I'm pretty sure that it's a pirated version of the movie. The ad links to www.songofthesouth.org, which doesn't look like a Disney website. This was the address:

https://www.songofthesouth.org/?gcli...SAAEgKHE_D_BwE

I haven't been able to get a screenshot of the ad.
Old 08-05-19, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts
Re: Song of the South

Hi Nick,

I'll definitely need the screenshot of the ad. Some ads are purchased directly by companies, but some are simply filled in by Google, based on browsing history (this is not to imply you've been Googling for an illegal movie, just that interest in say, obscure films may have triggered this ad).
Old 08-06-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Old 08-07-19, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Yeah, that's looking like a Google Ad. I'll talk to our ad team to see if we can get it removed from circulation.

EDIT: If you see an ad like this, click that blue X in the top right and report it.

Last edited by IBJoel; 08-07-19 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-09-19, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Of course Disney COULD just put it out themselves- it seems like bootleggers advertising like that don't even get busted.
Old 08-09-19, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Of course Disney COULD just put it out themselves- it seems like bootleggers advertising like that don't even get busted.
Old 08-09-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

At least the pop-up ads for me have dropped to zero for the most part.

But there was this today.

Old 08-09-19, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Just saw an ad for DVD ripping software also, which we're still not supposed to talk about here.
Old 08-09-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Just saw an ad for DVD ripping software also, which we're still not supposed to talk about here.
Yeah, I got both the "DVDFab One-Stop DVD Solutions" and "Best DVD Ripper Software" ads just now in this subforum.
Old 08-09-19, 04:27 PM
Administrator

OK, so this is how our advertising works: We directly fulfill some ads. More often, we just use Google Ads and Google will fill in the ads based on their algorithms, which include your search history (and what other people with similar search history have clicked on).

So, when you guys mention DVD Ripping software (for instance) and visit pages mentioning it, you will have a higher likelihood of encountering ads for it. That's on Google. You can report any and all ads you find objectionable by clicking on the blue X in the upper right corner of each ad. If there's something like a redirect that takes you off of DVDTalk.com or an add messes up page formatting, that's where we come in.
Old 08-09-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Really not sure why I would get the ad I shared.
Old 08-10-19, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Yeah, I've been seeing the DVD ripper ad all morning. And no, I don't visit pages mentioning it or ever even mention it here (other than right now), I don't rip DVDs, so it isn't that. I've never seen a single ad here even remotely related to my Google searches, so I don't think that's the right answer.
Old 08-10-19, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Just saw the ripper ad. Not gonna report it cause I’m not a snitch.
Old 08-10-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Ditto to some of the above, I have never mentioned rippers, nor gone to any sites, but have also seen these adverts. DVD Talk will take adverts that are not allowed, but it is of course the fault of the advertisers, not DVD Talk.

I am def planning to start bootlegging illegal DVDs with illegal software, though, if it's cool with y'all.
Old 08-11-19, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

I see the ad. Copied it here. Couldn't report it because there's no "X" to press. Needless to say, it's an inappropriate ad for this forum.

Old 08-12-19, 06:28 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

My disc just arrived. Thanks OP!
Old 08-12-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
OK, so this is how our advertising works: We directly fulfill some ads. More often, we just use Google Ads and Google will fill in the ads based on their algorithms, which include your search history (and what other people with similar search history have clicked on).

So, when you guys mention DVD Ripping software (for instance) and visit pages mentioning it, you will have a higher likelihood of encountering ads for it. That's on Google. You can report any and all ads you find objectionable by clicking on the blue X in the upper right corner of each ad. If there's something like a redirect that takes you off of DVDTalk.com or an add messes up page formatting, that's where we come in.
I recognize that ad-supported sites like DVD Talk are in a tough position here, because you're beholden to the broader problems of "big data"-driven, targeted advertising. That said, it does seem odd that there isn't a proactive way for you to be able to better limit the types of ads that are shown in alignment with standards you've set for the site. Are there alternatives to Google that provide you better controls? Has that even been investigated? Given how many issues this site has had with malware-infected ads and ads that violate site standards, it seems like Google might not be the best ad provider (unless of course, revenue matters more than site standards).

Additionally, users should not be responsible for policing the ads the ads that show up, in my opinion. Whether valid or not, clicking on buttons on the ad seems like just another way for the ad network to gather data about users (ie, this person thinks this ad is offensive). I'd rather not be expected to possibly have to interact with the ad network at all. (Even if that reporting click only ostensibly gets reported to DVD Talk, it certainly has the appearance of being another data point gathered by Google).
Old 08-12-19, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Decker, thanks for that screenshot. Kefrank, while that would be ideal, we simply don't have the resources to make that happen in regard to AdSense. It's a difficult process with thousands of different ads/companies.

I've checked with our sales team and DVD Fab was indeed something our sales team set-up, without talking to myself. A couple things about what this means and does not:

This ad has to run its course. We can't cancel it, due to contractual obligations.
Other such software ads are going to be AdSense until I can see a screenshot otherwise.

It doesn't mean that discussing such software is now OK in the forums.

If you feel strongly about this ad, please write in here: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sendmessage.php
That form generates emails that I can then send to sales to show them that they really need to stop doing this.
Old 08-12-19, 02:55 PM
Administrator

cultshock and Kurt, I never said you did (although likely by visiting and engaging with this page, Google will consider it that "you did"). But other people who are into physical media likely have. Let's say "DVDTalker" has never looked for torrents, ripping software, or anything like that. Just goes to DVD Talk, Amazon, eBay, maybe bluray.com. Then John Q. DVDlover does all of that, but ALSO torrents, copies, et cetera. DVDTalker will likely get ads at some point for stuff like that, because the other person's habits have significant crossover with DVDTalker.
Old 08-12-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Fair enough, and yeah, after visiting this page multiple times, they certainly think I'm interested now. I've seen at least three different huge banner ads for DVD ripping software today, one says DVD Fab, and the others don't identify as such, so I'm not sure if they are from the same company or not. I've just never been bombarded by the same huge ads constantly all day when visiting this site, it's really eyebrow raising to me.

For what it's worth, I think most here want to alert you guys about these ads because we like visiting this site and don't want to see you run into possible legal trouble that might make this place go away (especially Disney, as they really know how to bring the hammer down, don't mess with them!). We're not just bitching for no reason, and I'm not an intellectual property owner, so I don't have a dog in the race.
Old 08-13-19, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Really not sure why I would get the ad I shared.
Has your wife been using your computer?
Old 08-13-19, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 433 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
If you feel strongly about this ad, please write in here: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sendmessage.php
That form generates emails that I can then send to sales to show them that they really need to stop doing this.
You would have thought the uproar last year over the DVDTalk sponsored ripping software would have done the trick... guess not. Point the sales team to that thread and the current ones.
Old 08-13-19, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

The other thread was locked. I really don't care all THAT much, but if I were still a DVD Talk reviewer I sure would, as if a studio sees that, the screeners (already thin, from what I've heard) are going to stop.
Old 08-13-19, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cultshock
Fair enough, and yeah, after visiting this page multiple times, they certainly think I'm interested now. I've seen at least three different huge banner ads for DVD ripping software today, one says DVD Fab, and the others don't identify as such, so I'm not sure if they are from the same company or not. I've just never been bombarded by the same huge ads constantly all day when visiting this site, it's really eyebrow raising to me.

For what it's worth, I think most here want to alert you guys about these ads because we like visiting this site and don't want to see you run into possible legal trouble that might make this place go away (especially Disney, as they really know how to bring the hammer down, don't mess with them!). We're not just bitching for no reason, and I'm not an intellectual property owner, so I don't have a dog in the race.
And I appreciate it and the fact that the forum rules say one thing and then appearances say another. Since I'm also the editor-in-chief of content/reviews, I do have quite a bit of investment in this site, compared to others in the department. Thus, I completely understand everyone wanting to bring this up.
Old 08-13-19, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The other thread was locked. I really don't care all THAT much, but if I were still a DVD Talk reviewer I sure would, as if a studio sees that, the screeners (already thin, from what I've heard) are going to stop.
I locked it simply so that all this conversation could be take place in a single thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.