DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   What exactly is Political Exile status? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/647952-what-exactly-political-exile-status.html)

andicus 06-19-19 01:00 PM

What exactly is Political Exile status?

Apart from my thinking its application, yesterday, was complete BS, what does it actually mean?

Specifically, does it prevent those that have been exiled from receiving PMs?

My understanding was that it simply prevented access to the Religion/Politics subforum, but I found I was no longer able to PM an exiled member.

VinVega 06-19-19 02:14 PM

Re: What exactly is Political Exile status?

Right now there is a glitch in the way the Political Exile group works. In the past we've seen where someone was put into that group and the PM function was still turned on and they could keep posting in the Politics forum. Looking to see if there is another way to work that group membership.

Adam Tyner 06-19-19 02:37 PM

That PM issue should be addressed now.

andicus 06-19-19 02:41 PM

Ah, okay.

So are member of the exile group only prohibited from posting, but still allowed to read that subforum? I guess that would make sense, since you would (presumably) be able to read it without being logged into the forum, anyway.

andicus 06-19-19 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13567395)
That PM issue should be addressed now.

Just tested it, and it is now possible to send the PM.

I don't know if that breaks what VinVega mentioned, but hopefully not.

Thanks!

VinVega 06-19-19 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 13567400)
Just tested it, and it is now possible to send the PM.

I don't know if that breaks what VinVega mentioned, but hopefully not.

Thanks!

Adam fixed what I mentioned in my post above. He fixed it in record time because he's a Developer God. :heart:

And yes a Political Exile member can still read the Political forum, they just can't post in it.

andicus 06-19-19 02:49 PM

Good to know, and thanks again!

Dan 06-19-19 06:07 PM

It would be good to know which folks are permanently exiled from political talk vs. which are temporary or self-requested. Surely someone who made a single one-off "generalization" (and even acknowledged their own mistake before that hammer came down!) shouldn't even get the exile treatment, but if they do, I think it's fair for everyone else to know how long they're exiled for. Not knowing the extent of the punishment isn't conductive to healthier discussion going forward.

William Fuld 06-20-19 05:57 AM

I get that "exiling" people from that subforum is necessary, but changing their title, even temporarily, is gratuitous.

Adam Tyner 06-20-19 06:24 AM

The forum software does that automatically.