Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

What is Standard Editor?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

What is Standard Editor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 04:25 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
What is Standard Editor?

In another thread it was mentioned that using something called Standard Editor remedied a lot of the problems stemming from the forum upgrade. What is this magical fix?
Old 06-18-19, 04:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: What is Standard Editor?

User CP -> Edit Options -> Miscellaneous Options -> Message Editor Interface
Old 06-18-19, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

If I have trouble with a post, I just click on the "Source" button at the top right of the Quick Reply box. It switches everything to text.
Old 06-18-19, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

Received 691 Likes on 463 Posts

Old 06-18-19, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Is this supposed to help with the formatting issues in posts after the site upgrade?
Old 06-19-19, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Please note that only the Full CKEditor is fully supported and we can't guarantee other editors working seamlessly. Although you likely to not encounter any issues with them.
Old 11-19-19, 09:04 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Apparently the Standard Editor was removed with a new forum update I read about in another thread here in Site Feedback. I HATE the Full Editor, the Basic Editor (plain text box) is worthless, why remove the Standard Editor? It did everything I needed it to do, without all the extra crap. If I want to edit/copy text in a previous post that contains italicized text, when I change the text within the italics (for a new post), I have to re-italicize the new text because the italics are removed. Same with bolded text. There's just too much crap I don't need and more work involved with the Full Editor. Give me back my Standard Editor!

Sometimes updates are NOT better.
Old 11-19-19, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

I just tried to edit a post and it was giving me fits (I finally gave up). Must be related to this update as well.
Old 11-20-19, 08:37 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

The dates next to the OP's suck. What is the purpose of that?
Old 11-20-19, 10:01 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

oh. did this happen like within a day? i think monday fine, then saw last night it was weird and just thought Firefox update and would go away today. this sucks.
Old 11-20-19, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kd5
Apparently the Standard Editor was removed with a new forum update I read about in another thread here in Site Feedback. I HATE the Full Editor, the Basic Editor (plain text box) is worthless, why remove the Standard Editor? It did everything I needed it to do, without all the extra crap. If I want to edit/copy text in a previous post that contains italicized text, when I change the text within the italics (for a new post), I have to re-italicize the new text because the italics are removed. Same with bolded text. There's just too much crap I don't need and more work involved with the Full Editor. Give me back my Standard Editor!

Sometimes updates are NOT better.
Standard editor is not compatible with the latest version of the site (which was required for security purposes). Full CKEditor has been in use on DVDTalk for months without issue. I understand that you may not use everything in the CKE toolbar, but you always have the option of simply not clicking on it.
Old 11-20-19, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I just tried to edit a post and it was giving me fits (I finally gave up). Must be related to this update as well.
What exactly was happening? There was some initial slowness at first, but that seems to have resolved. What browser are you using and were you on a mobile device?
Old 11-20-19, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by E Unit
The dates next to the OP's suck. What is the purpose of that?
Some users like to know when something was originally posted. You can simply ignore them if you don't find them useful.
Old 11-20-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Standard editor is not compatible with the latest version of the site (which was required for security purposes). Full CKEditor has been in use on DVDTalk for months without issue. I understand that you may not use everything in the CKE toolbar, but you always have the option of simply not clicking on it.
That's unfortunate.
Old 11-20-19, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I disagree. Shortly after the first update I listed several issues with that editor - none of which have been corrected. Either fix it or bring back the *true* standard editor - the one that works like many of us need and desire. The majority of people who participate in the monthly viewing challenges do *not* use the "CKEditor" due to it's many issues.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 11-20-19 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-20-19, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What exactly was happening? There was some initial slowness at first, but that seems to have resolved. What browser are you using and were you on a mobile device?
I've tried to edit this post: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/6...l#post13633383

It hasn't worked on any browser--I tried Chrome on a laptop at home, IE on another PC and on a mobile device.

I make a change to the post and clicking on save/cancel does nothing. I end up refreshing the page and get a prompt that leaving won't save my info.

I checked my User CP and I have the CKE editor option selected, so perhaps it's not that. But things were working fine until last night for me.

Edited: Testing my ability to edit this post. Obviously it worked. So it must be something with that particular post? Perhaps because it contains bullet points, spoilerized content, etc?

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 11-20-19 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-20-19, 12:51 PM
Administrator

I've tried to edit this post: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/6...l#post13633383

It hasn't worked on any browser--I tried Chrome on a laptop at home, IE on another PC and on a mobile device.

I make a change to the post and clicking on save/cancel does nothing. I end up refreshing the page and get a prompt that leaving won't save my info.

I checked my User CP and I have the CKE editor option selected, so perhaps it's not that. But things were working fine until last night for me.

Edited: Testing my ability to edit this post. Obviously it worked. So it must be something with that particular post? Perhaps because it contains bullet points, spoilerized content, etc?
Odd. I see that your edit apparently went through:

Can you try doing a cache flush and see if that solves it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...ass_your_cache
Old 11-20-19, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I disagree. Shortly after the first update I listed several issues with that editor - none of which have been corrected. Either fix it or bring back the *true* standard editor - the one that works like many of us need and desire. The majority of people who participate in the monthly viewing challenges do *not* use the "CKEditor" due to it's many issues.
What are the issues between CKEditor and challenges/lists? Can you link me to a challenge post that you cannot make with CKEditor? I'm also working with Adam Tyner and Trevor to see what we can do.

Last edited by IBJoel; 11-20-19 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-20-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Odd. I see that your edit apparently went through:

Can you try doing a cache flush and see if that solves it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...ass_your_cache
I tried the flush. No change. It is very odd. I described how I can't save or cancel on the edit page. On that page, there is an edit button at the bottom of the post I can click. When I do so, I try to edit my post again and any attempt to save or cancel gives me the prompt about my info won't be saved and a choice to leave or stay. It's that attempt that does register as you see above (last edited by...) but it doesn't reflect any changes I've made. Not sure if all of that makes sense.
Old 11-20-19, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-20-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hate to clutter up the thread, but the screenshots above show what I am dealing with. The first is the look when I click edit post. The second after I click the edit option at the bottom of that post, since save/cancel doesn't work. I made a slight change to the post, and try to save and get the pop-up in the third screenshot. And it doesn't seem to matter what browser I'm using or if I'm trying it from my phone.

Spoiler:

Test

Old 11-20-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I figured it out...somewhat. It's the content in the spoiler which is causing the issue. I just added the following to the post above:

[ spoiler ] Test [ / spoiler ]

And now I can't edit that post.

Old 11-20-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

What are the issues between CKEditor and challenges/lists? Can you link me to a challenge post that you cannot make with CKEditor? I'm also working with Adam Tyner and Trevor to see what we can do.
I don't create those complex type of posts but have issues with colors chosen on previously done posts being removed when edited with the CKEditor.

From this post I made back in January:
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Enhanced Interface - Full CKEditor Editing:

Seems OK editing inline, creating, or replying in any mode. BUT if you have a post to which you've added color using the Standard Editor those colors do not show in the edit window so you have no idea what you've done or how to go about fixing any color related issues. Your only choice is to switch to either "Standard/Extra" or "Enhanced/WYSIWYG" to make necessary adjustments.
Doing a quick test shows you can at least now use color with the CKEditor and have it stick but you still get no color other than black on any previous post if you attempt to edit it. Colors still show - until it's edited and then they're gone unless they're all updated with the new editor. But you can't easily see what they were before to make those changes. That requires editing the source and knowing the arcane new color codes for what were simple names before.

If you want an earful - talk to Chad or some of the guys with extremely complex lists posts in the horror challenge. I know Chad had lots of issues and I believe worked with you or others to get things working/fixed. Fixing the old posts and getting things to work like they wanted was discussed several times as the horror challenge was ramping up. IIRC using the older editor was the solution in every case.
Old 11-20-19, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Spoiler:
Spoiler test

Old 11-20-19, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Well, I figured it out...somewhat. It's the content in the spoiler which is causing the issue. I just added the following to the post above:

[ spoiler ] Test [ / spoiler ]

And now I can't edit that post.
Did you use the spoiler tags manually or click the button in the editor ribbon?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.