DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Randomly unable to post (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/647471-randomly-unable-post.html)

slop101 04-25-19 12:42 AM

Randomly unable to post

So I'll type out a fairly long reply to something (3 sentences to 3 paragraphs), hit the button, then get this "error" message...

The following errors occurred with your submission:
  1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.

WTF? My message was definitely longer than 3 characters!

Doesn't happen too often - about once every other day - it's just weird.

andicus 04-25-19 12:56 AM

Re: Randomly unable to post

I had this happen in the Never Ending Sequitur thread, recently. Normally, we can just post an image, but in this case I had to add some text.

IB_Villalobos 04-25-19 02:38 PM

Is this error occurring in a specific forum?

andicus 04-25-19 03:54 PM

For me, it was in 'Other Talk'

slop101 04-25-19 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by IB_Villalobos (Post 13539921)
Is this error occurring in a specific forum?

It's happened in different ones - TV, Other, Videogames...

Trevor 04-26-19 08:31 AM

Iirc, this happens to me sometimes when I have a tab open for a long time before posting.

slop101 04-26-19 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 13540365)
Iirc, this happens to me sometimes when I have a tab open for a long time before posting.

Good point - that could be it.

Bronkster 04-27-19 09:39 PM

I've had a problem posting - but only in Firefox. The comment box is grayed out and I can't enter anything. I've tried various forums, and it's consistent in all. No problem at with Chrome of Vivaldi.

IB_Villalobos 04-29-19 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 13539953)
For me, it was in 'Other Talk'

What browser are you using?

andicus 04-29-19 01:01 PM

Chrome on Windows 7 64-bit Pro.

I will add that I haven't had it happen, since the time I initially mentioned.

Obi-Wanma 04-29-19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 13539537)
I had this happen in the Never Ending Sequitur thread, recently. Normally, we can just post an image, but in this case I had to add some text.

Yeah, this happens if you're just posting an image or a video embed, it doesn't recognize the characters within the tags as counting toward the post limit of 3 characters. It didn't use to be this way, but it is now. Usually I will add 3 periods after the image/video and it will allow me to post. I've noticed others doing the same.

Bronkster 05-09-19 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bronkster (Post 13541420)
I've had a problem posting - but only in Firefox. The comment box is grayed out and I can't enter anything. I've tried various forums, and it's consistent in all. No problem at with Chrome of Vivaldi.

Anyone got any ideas on this? Still happening - after numerous reboots and Firefox updates.

TomOpus 05-10-19 09:04 AM

Don't use Firefox on here ;)

Bronkster 05-10-19 07:46 PM

Thanks, Tom!!! :lol:

TomOpus 05-10-19 10:19 PM

What can I say. I find solutions. :lol:

LurkerDan 05-24-19 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bronkster (Post 13541420)

I can't post on Firefox either. I hit the reply or quote button and it takes me to the next screen to type my post, but when I hit "submit reply" nothing happens.

IB_Villalobos 05-24-19 05:34 PM

The FireFox browser update seems to be glitching or isn't compatible with the Forum. Please try using a different browser.

ibobi 05-28-19 04:21 PM

test in firefox

EDIT:

Working ok in FF here.

Bronkster 05-29-19 06:09 PM

Still not working in FF for me.

EinCB 05-30-19 02:03 AM

Have you tried it out in safe mode? Go to the hamburger menu on the top right and go to help, then "Restart with add-ons disabled."

Firefox has never given me this problem.

Bronkster 05-30-19 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by EinCB (Post 13557629)
Have you tried it out in safe mode? Go to the hamburger menu on the top right and go to help, then "Restart with add-ons disabled."

Firefox has never given me this problem.

Gave that a shot - no change. :sad:

TomOpus 05-30-19 12:37 PM

Have you tried logging in using Firefox on a totally different computer like at a library? I'm curious if there's some setting that's affecting just you.

Bronkster 05-31-19 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13557860)
Have you tried logging in using Firefox on a totally different computer like at a library? I'm curious if there's some setting that's affecting just you.

I just installed Firefox on my iPad and posted a reply. So, it's not my account, I suppose. Good suggestion though! :thumbsup:

Dan 06-04-19 11:18 AM

Never had this issue, despite using Firefox for a long time now... until yesterday.

In this case, it's one specific thread, and only if I'm looking at the last page of the thread:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game...017-a-371.html
The quick reply box looks like this, and Firefox thinks the page is constantly loading, and there are no formatting buttons available.
https://i.imgur.com/mQjqKYu.png
On all other pages of the thread (or all other threads I've looked at), my Quick Reply box looks like this:
https://i.imgur.com/zAw6Kz9.png
Note how I can see the formatting buttons now.

Could be, in that one thread, someone's post has some weird code in it. Adam Tyner would probably be the best person to investigate that. :)

Adam Tyner 06-04-19 12:40 PM

I tried that page (and the few before it, since we have different post-per-page settings) in an old version of Firefox (since I hadn't upgraded in a while!) and in the latest version. Everything seems okay with the way I have things setup -- no showstopping errors, and all the WYSIWYG buttons are loading as expected. But it's easy enough to tell exactly what's going on.
  • Right-click anywhere on the page in Firefox and select "Inspect Element".
  • A big box should come up with tabs reading Inspector, Console, Debugger, etc. Click on "Console".
  • Look for any nasty error messages. They'll be highlighted in red. If you have the latest and greatest version of Firefox, leave "Errors" as the only thing highlighted in blue (click on everything else that's blue to de-select them), and any non-critical messages will disappear.
So you should see something like this:
https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/imag...59670234_1.png

Just copy/paste those error messages here, and I'll try to make sense of them. :)