DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Suggestion For Toys & Collectables Sub-Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/647355-suggestion-toys-collectables-sub-forum.html)

ddrknghtrtns 04-13-19 01:56 PM

Suggestion For Toys & Collectables Sub-Forum

Just and idea for a future sub forum.

Red Hood 04-13-19 10:17 PM

Re: Suggestion For Toys & Collectables Sub-Forum

I thought about this a while back too, but I feel it could be included in the comic book forum to bring more traffic there

Mike86 04-13-19 10:24 PM

I'd be interested as a collector of figures, but not sure how many others are here. Seems like when the thread in Movie Talk gets brought up its always the same people posting.

LorenzoL 04-14-19 06:24 AM

There's 3 toys thread that gets the most views are the Lego and Funko Pop in Other and the Hot Toys/Sideshows one in Movie. I don't think that we need a Subforum for Toys.

cultshock 04-14-19 10:56 AM

Hell, I'd be down for that.

TheBigDave 04-14-19 12:34 PM

I think a Food sub-forum would be more useful. But for some reason, that's been shot down in the past.

Mike86 04-14-19 03:38 PM

I think food topics fit in well with Otterville. A toy subforum might be too niche for DVD Talk as much as I like chatting about them. I currently go to Sideshow Freaks which is more aimed at people who collect Hot Toys and Sideshow Collectibles, but also has some talk for more retail figures.

story 04-15-19 10:06 AM

What about expanding Comics to Comics and Collectibles? They tend to go hand-in-hand in the shops, and if you're a fan of one you tend to be a fan of the other. Otherwise, perhaps even Comics, Collectibles, and Toys for something more expanded.

Mike86 04-15-19 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by story (Post 13533493)
What about expanding Comics to Comics and Collectibles? They tend to go hand-in-hand in the shops, and if you're a fan of one you tend to be a fan of the other. Otherwise, perhaps even Comics, Collectibles, and Toys for something more expanded.

That would work. Might draw more attention to Comic Talk at the same time.

Trevor 04-15-19 10:46 AM

Ugh, keep other topics out of comics. Comic Talk is far from a slow subforum nowadays.

story 05-21-19 07:29 AM

So... how about Toys & Collectibles?

Red Hood 05-21-19 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by story (Post 13553410)
So... how about Toys & Collectibles?

I'm in for that. I still think it could be included with the Comics subforum

VinVega 05-22-19 09:39 AM

Does anyone have a ballpark on how many toys and collectibles threads we've had in say, the last 6 months?

Dan 05-22-19 09:52 AM

Maybe make a Funko©® sub-forum and get some of that sweet sweet corporate sponsorship.

story 05-22-19 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 13554066)
Does anyone have a ballpark on how many toys and collectibles threads we've had in say, the last 6 months?

I don't, but I would gladly start one thread a week for six weeks to help launch it.

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13554075)
Maybe make a Funko©® sub-forum and get some of that sweet sweet corporate sponsorship.

Is that possible? That could be a good idea.

fujishig 05-22-19 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13554075)

The problem is, 75% of the posts would be about how ugly Funko stuff is and how they don't understand why anyone would buy that crap, with maybe three other people having a discussion.

Dan 05-22-19 11:25 AM

^ I would gladly take up Mod ownership of a Funko-sponsored sub-forum to ensure that those three other people having a discussion are put in their rightful place. ;)

Red Hood 05-22-19 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 13554066)

I think people have been reluctant to start a thread since it kinda doesn't fit anywhere specifically. The only threads I've seen regarding toys and collectibles are these and all of them are in different forums

Comic subforum

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book...=#post13210179

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book...5=#post9570217

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book...9=#post7867810

Other

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk...=#post13279612

Movie Forum

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...=#post13502942

cultshock 05-23-19 03:57 PM

Yeah, if anything a dedicated forum might encourage more threads on the topic.

Mabuse 06-09-19 03:59 PM

Don’t keep splintering the forum down into smaller and smaller sub forums.

PhantomStranger 06-09-19 05:48 PM

The site's traffic these days just won't support another small sub-forum opening up. For the health of the site, I'd probably add it to the Comics forum.

Trevor 06-09-19 09:40 PM

What was that, 6 threads in 12 years? I think we can close this thread and forget this nonsense.

Red Hood 06-09-19 10:34 PM

I'm going to start 2 threads in the Comics forum as we have talked more about this here than actually having discussions on the topics:

- The Official Toys and Collectibles thread
- The Official Statues and Bust Thread

Anyone else besides Trevor opposed to this?

Trevor 06-10-19 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13562688)
I'm going to start 2 threads in the Comics forum as we have talked more about this here than actually having discussions on the topics:

Anyone else besides Trevor opposed to this?

Why would I be opposed to that? I love toys. I’m just opposed to changing the name of the sub-forum, or creating a new sub-forum.

Dan 06-10-19 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13562521)
Don’t keep splintering the forum down into smaller and smaller sub forums.

I actually kind of agree with this. In fact, I'd take it a (radical) step further. A suggestion that absolutely nobody but me would want: Three main forums, with sub-forums:
  • Movies and TV Talk
    • Communities
  • Other shit Talk
    • Communities
    • Political/Religious Talk
  • Feedback/Support

That's right.
- Combine DVD, DVD Reviews, HD, International, Blu Bargains, DVD Bargains, DVD Exchange (should be a single buy/sell/trade thread anyway), Anime, Streaming and of course Movie talk and TV Talk all into one place. None of these are, IMO, fundamentally different enough to maintain separately and all fall under "Movies and TV" nicely.

- All the other subforums (Hot deals, Store, Book, Comic Book, Music, Video Game, Tech, Sports, and of course Other) combined. These are all vastly different, but in regard to the site, DVD Talk, they're all OT baby.

- Political/Religious Talk. The moneymaker and the only reason this site is still above water (or is it...?). Anyway, keep this separate to segregate political discussion to one place and keep political exile status for those that want/have it.

"Communities" subforums would be for long-form threads/discussion about films or shows, or NFL or George RR Martin, or whatever tickles your fancy. A "Walking Dead | The Comics" community, for example, or a "Walking Dead | The Show" community. News about walking dead could still be posted in the main forum, but sustained discussion about the plot/characters/whatever of the show/books would be in the community thread. This doesn't mean 1 thread per show. You could have a "Walking Dead | Season 10 Boogaloo" community if there's enough discussion to warrant it. An "NFL | Headaches 4 all" community... An "NHL | Teeth? We don't need no teeth!" community... etc. could all go under Other Communities. No hard and fast rules, though. A thread could start in the main forum and then be moved the the community sub if there's enough discussion to warrant it.

All of this ties into this thread about Toys & Collectibles in the sense that... if this crazy idea of mine were implemented (sorry to Adam, who would be stuck doing most of the work :lol: ), There would be a "The Funko Pop Collectors / Funko Pop: The Collectors" or whatever community or a "Dorbz | Poor Man's Funko" community or "Video game toys | Not THAT kind of toy" community, where people sustain their discussions about the specifics toy/collectible brands or types that they like.

Some folks who visit other online spaces might recognize the type of format I'm talking about. I think it works overall (and still far better than shitholes like reddit). It consolidates what's truly on topic into one place (This site IS generally about our love for Movies & TV and everything to do with those things... isn't it...?), and pushes everything else to the Other / Off topic space. Think of it as like using the "Show new posts" link, where everything is mixed together (which some folks prefer, especially for a site with a smaller active community as it is), except... slightly filtered.

Just a thought. And... to be clear... I think the current layout is fine for what it is. Don't change anything just because I'm typing this bullshit. But if this place needs a change, let's radicalize* that shit. :)

*not that kind of radicalize. Shit.

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13562688)

Yeah, just do this.