Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Jan. 3rd 2019 Upgrade Master Thread

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Jan. 3rd 2019 Upgrade Master Thread

Old 01-16-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts
Re: Jan. 3rd 2019 Upgrade Master Thread

If left as it is you should see only threads with new posts in bold. Threads with old posts will appear, but not be in bold. If you choose 'New Posts' you get a page with only those threads that are in bold.

With this current configuration, I either:

a) mark the forums read after reading all the threads I'm interested in
or
b) I leave it as I don't care if threads I'm not interested in show up as bold. It doesn't matter to me if they show that they have new posts, if I'm not interested in them, anyway.

Most commonly, I've been doing a), while on the Steve Hoffman music forums, I tend to do b).
Old 01-16-19, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Received 1,056 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Wikis seem to have been randomly inserted in all the wrong threads. I worked on fixing a few of them, but it’d be nice to hear the official word on what is happening with them. Will they auto-corrects some how? Are they screwed forever? Is it safe to create and edit them now?
Trevor, I addressed this. Please send me any instances you see of wikiposts being wrong. I have to do it manually.
Old 01-16-19, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Guys, as I said above, the unread posts may be a little weird for the next couple days, while cookies get flushed out.
Old 01-16-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Guys, as I said above, the unread posts may be a little weird for the next couple days, while cookies get flushed out.
Thank you for the update
Old 01-16-19, 02:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Try editing wikiposts now.

Still working on the wikipost content "randomizing", but please send me all examples, either in this thread or through PM.
Wikis seem to have been randomly inserted in all the wrong threads. I worked on fixing a few of them, but it’d be nice to hear the official word on what is happening with them. Will they auto-corrects some how? Are they screwed forever? Is it safe to create and edit them now?
Trevor, I addressed this. Please send me any instances you see of wikiposts being wrong. I have to do it manually.
Your post doesn’t fully address any of my questions, but thanks I guess.

I don’t have access to a database of what threads had wikis, but here is one that is messed up;
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-ba...ga-thread.html
Old 01-16-19, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Your post doesn’t fully address any of my questions, but thanks I guess.

I don’t have access to a database of what threads had wikis, but here is one that is messed up;
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-ba...ga-thread.html
My apologies. No, they will not auto-correct eventually, so they'll need to be done "by hand". It is safe to edit/create them.
Old 01-16-19, 10:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Did we do away with font size in posts?
Old 01-16-19, 11:01 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Did we do away with font size in posts?
Nope!
Old 01-17-19, 06:48 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

In the Announcement thread at the top of this (and other) boards, it states " Infinite Scroll: Continuous page loading and sticky navigation bars"

I've taken care of the Infinite Scroll (didn't like it), but what about the sticky navigation bars? Is there a setting which will improve responsiveness while navigating this site? Or am I stuck with waiting a few additional seconds each time I navigate to a different forum/thread?
Old 01-17-19, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kd5
In the Announcement thread at the top of this (and other) boards, it states " Infinite Scroll: Continuous page loading and sticky navigation bars"

I've taken care of the Infinite Scroll (didn't like it), but what about the sticky navigation bars? Is there a setting which will improve responsiveness while navigating this site? Or am I stuck with waiting a few additional seconds each time I navigate to a different forum/thread?
I don't know if I understand your question. The sticky nav bars are part of Infinite Scroll, but if you don't have IS turned on, you still have Forum Jump at the bottom of each thread page and "breadcrumbs" at the top each one.
Old 01-17-19, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Every once in awhile now, if I'm in a thread and use the back button on my browser (Firefox), I get the following instead of the previous page:
Prefetching is not allowed due to the various privacy issues that arise.

It's extremely intermittent - only happened a handful of times and it doesn't seem very repeatable.
Old 01-17-19, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kefrank
Every once in awhile now, if I'm in a thread and use the back button on my browser (Firefox), I get the following instead of the previous page:

It's extremely intermittent - only happened a handful of times and it doesn't seem very repeatable.
I don't know of anything that could cause that. Anyone else with FF that's experienced similar?
Old 01-17-19, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank

Yes, I have had that as well. Also, in Firefox, when I try to quote someone and respond, the text box never appears. So I usually visit this website in Opera, which works fastest and best.
However, lately there has been a new annoying problem. I am unable to stay logged in to the site from one visit to another, and it even logs me out if I'm dormant for awhile. Upon log-in, there's no box to tick to keep me logged in.
Old 01-17-19, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm having problem on posting pic on the forum. I know the [img] [/img] does work in the past but when I preview the post the [/img] doesn't show. Please fix this.
Old 01-18-19, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
I'm having problem on posting pic on the forum. I know the [img] does work in the past but when I preview the post the doesn't show. Please fix this.
If the URL is blue and hyperlinked when you’re composing your post, then the [IMG] is going to be broken (and drop the closing tag). The forum is automatically converting URLs copied/pasted from the browser window into links, and you can’t have a hyperlink as an image source. I have no idea if I’m explaining this in a way that makes sense to anyone but me, but if you recreate this and click on Source in the composer toolbar, you’ll see what I mean.

The least complicated workaround is to stop using the tag manually and use the vBulletin composer toolbar instead.
Old 01-18-19, 01:46 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

When I use Quick Reply (or the regular Reply for that matter), oftentimes I'll choose to edit a previous post, copy the text, and past it in my new reply, changing parts of the text to submit my new post.

Example: Watched 2 episodes of The Flash (S1) while we ate dinner: The Trap and Grodd Lives.

Notice how The Flash is bolded and in blue, The Trap and Grodd Lives are italicized. When I copy the name of a different episode into the field for the existing episode, the italics go away and I have to re-italicize the episode title. I always make sure to stay within the field, yet the italics go away. Every time.

Not that this is a huge deal, it just makes more work. Before, when the bold and italics tags were used, you could paste text between those tags and everything was peachy. But now, you can't do that anymore.

Is there an editor I can use which still uses the bold and talics tags? Because the new way isn't working very well for my purposes.

Thanks
Old 01-18-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kd5
When I use Quick Reply (or the regular Reply for that matter), oftentimes I'll choose to edit a previous post, copy the text, and past it in my new reply, changing parts of the text to submit my new post.

Example: Watched 2 episodes of The Flash (S1) while we ate dinner: The Trap and Grodd Lives.

Notice how The Flash is bolded and in blue, The Trap and Grodd Lives are italicized. When I copy the name of a different episode into the field for the existing episode, the italics go away and I have to re-italicize the episode title. I always make sure to stay within the field, yet the italics go away. Every time.

Not that this is a huge deal, it just makes more work. Before, when the bold and italics tags were used, you could paste text between those tags and everything was peachy. But now, you can't do that anymore.

Is there an editor I can use which still uses the bold and talics tags? Because the new way isn't working very well for my purposes.

Thanks
Example: Watched 2 episodes of The New Flash (S1) while we ate dinner: The Parent Trap and Grodd Lives.

I just copied and pasted that from quoting your post, then I added my own text. The font formatting stayed.

I'm not sure if that's what you mean, or if it is, why it's working for me, but not you.
Old 01-18-19, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kd5

Thanks
Do you have the "Source" button on the upper right of your text editor box? Also, they got Gorilla Grodd on that show?

source.JPG
Old 01-18-19, 04:38 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Do you have the "Source" button on the upper right of your text editor box? Also, they got Gorilla Grodd on that show?

Attachment 142
Yes, but when I press Source, all the editing options get greyed out, at least when I pressed it with random text typed into the Quick Reply box. Yes, they have Gorilla Grodd in a couple of episodes of The Flash.
Old 01-18-19, 04:45 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus
Example: Watched 2 episodes of The New Flash (S1) while we ate dinner: The Parent Trap and Grodd Lives.

I just copied and pasted that from quoting your post, then I added my own text. The font formatting stayed.

I'm not sure if that's what you mean, or if it is, why it's working for me, but not you.
Adding text in the middle of the existing italicized text won't change it. Copy & paste something new over the whole episode title.
Old 01-18-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Also, they got Gorilla Grodd on that show?
And King Shark!
Old 01-18-19, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5

Is there an editor I can use which still uses the bold and italics tags? Because the new way isn't working very well for my purposes.

Thanks
Switch to the "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls" editor. It's very similar to the old editor and allow the tags.
Old 01-18-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Also, in Firefox, when I try to quote someone and respond, the text box never appears. So I usually visit this website in Opera, which works fastest and best.
However, lately there has been a new annoying problem. I am unable to stay logged in to the site from one visit to another, and it even logs me out if I'm dormant for awhile. Upon log-in, there's no box to tick to keep me logged in.
These issues, of which I wrote yesterday, seem to have been resolved.

Old 01-18-19, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kd5
Adding text in the middle of the existing italicized text won't change it. Copy & paste something new over the whole episode title.
I see. Well, in that case your pasted text will use the properties of the text you copied, unless you paste as plain text, in which case it'll use the properties of the text which precedes it.
Old 01-19-19, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,431 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Switch to the "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls" editor. It's very similar to the old editor and allow the tags.
Where is that?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.