Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Jan. 3rd 2019 Upgrade Master Thread

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Jan. 3rd 2019 Upgrade Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: Jan. 3rd 2019 Upgrade Master Thread

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Apologies if this has been covered already, but is there a reason we can't use [img] [ /img] or [url=____ ]Title of Link[ /url] tags anymore.
You can, but there's a bit of a workaround required.

You can compose your post in Notepad or a similar text editor, and the IMG and URL vBCode will work. Or you could click 'Source' in the editor and do it that way. I guess you could also switch editors, although I haven't looked into that yet.

But if you're copying/pasting a URL directly from your browser window, the editor will automatically make it a link, which supercedes any IMG or URL code. I'm trying to get in the habit of using the buttons in the toolbar now.
Old 01-12-19, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
You can, but there's a bit of a workaround required.

You can compose your post in Notepad or a similar text editor, and the IMG and URL vBCode will work. Or you could click 'Source' in the editor and do it that way. I guess you could also switch editors, although I haven't looked into that yet.

But if you're copying/pasting a URL directly from your browser window, the editor will automatically make it a link, which supercedes any IMG or URL code. I'm trying to get in the habit of using the buttons in the toolbar now.
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to get used to using the toolbar as well. It's not an intolerable alteration.

Old 01-13-19, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,464 Likes on 931 Posts

I tried to copy and paste the text of this article into the forum. The forum software deleted all the paragraph marks and ran it together into one big block of text. I had to paste into Wordpad and then copy it again as an additional step just to keep the formatting. What's the deal?
Old 01-13-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

How do you upload pictures now?
Old 01-13-19, 03:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
How do you upload pictures now?
Could you ever upload pictures?

I thought we’ve always used imagehosting sites.

Old 01-13-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I thought we’ve always used imagehosting sites.
Yes, but it used to be a 5-second matter of copying the link and pasting it in [img] tags. Piece of cake. It's really not more convoluted or time-consuming now; just a new procedure to get used to.
Old 01-14-19, 08:01 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I click on the image icon and paste the link. Same thing I did on the old version. Nothing changed as far as I can see.
Old 01-14-19, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,464 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I click on the image icon and paste the link. Same thing I did on the old version. Nothing changed as far as I can see.
We used to be able to type the img tags from the keyboard like this: img ctrl-V /img. That option is no longer available. Now we are required to use the mouse.
Old 01-14-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
We used to be able to type the img tags from the keyboard like this: img ctrl-V /img. That option is no longer available. Now we are required to use the mouse.
Change your editor to the "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls" version. It's probably more like what you used before and will allow you to type the tags from the keyboard. Be aware that is has a couple of foibles - mostly when doing a "Reply to thread" (Can't adjust the edit window horizontally more than ~1").
Old 01-14-19, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL

Thank you for the response. Now, in terms of creating a table in a thread, can we do that without HTML? Is there a workaround that someone knows in order to create one?
Wikiposts have returned, so that would be the most effective way to emulate a mass of information, albeit with some editing, since it would still not appear in table form.
Old 01-14-19, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
As others have said, my wiki is there, but I can't find any option to edit it, which is kind of the point of a wikipost.
And the one wiki I found was in the wrong thread. Challenge compendium thread in dvdtalk
I’ve checked several threads and don’t see the option.
Do you see the ability to edit now? It appears for me, but may be usergroup-based.

Trevor, I see what you mean about the wrong wikipost in the wrong thread and will ask tech.
Old 01-14-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Do you see the ability to edit now? It appears for me, but may be usergroup-based.

Trevor, I see what you mean about the wrong wikipost in the wrong thread and will ask tech.
Still don't see an option to edit an existing WikiPost, or create a new one. I see that you just edited one, so maybe only admins/mods can do it currently?
Old 01-14-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

This is an ongoing 'problem' and still exists with the forum software upgrade, so I'll ask, here...

From the Pet Peeves thread:

My only pet peeve is that the forums are automatically marked as read after a certain amount of time. So if you get distracted, while reading the forums, you may find that they're suddenly all marked as read, so you can't tell which posts are new. Other forums don't necessarily do this, for example the Steve Hoffman music forums. I couldn't find any way to control that behaviour, nor can I find a way since the upgrade.

Is there some way to control this behaviour? It's very frustrating. I would prefer that threads are only marked as read if I've actually read them, rather than after some non-controllable time.
Old 01-14-19, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
This is an ongoing 'problem' and still exists with the forum software upgrade, so I'll ask, here...

My only pet peeve is that the forums are automatically marked as read after a certain amount of time. So if you get distracted, while reading the forums, you may find that they're suddenly all marked as read, so you can't tell which posts are new. Other forums don't necessarily do this, for example the Steve Hoffman music forums. I couldn't find any way to control that behaviour, nor can I find a way since the upgrade.

Is there some way to control this behaviour? It's very frustrating. I would prefer that threads are only marked as read if I've actually read them, rather than after some non-controllable time.
+1 for this Change
Old 01-15-19, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Still don't see an option to edit an existing WikiPost, or create a new one. I see that you just edited one, so maybe only admins/mods can do it currently?
I think so. I've asked tech if it's usergroup-based and how to fix it.
Old 01-15-19, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by andicus

I actually started noticing this, too. Normally, unread threads get marked as read after one week. But I don't think your post triggered my "Unread Posts" alert in this thread at all. I'm going to close all tabs on DVD Talk, so please reply to me here so I can test this.
Old 01-15-19, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually started noticing this, too. Normally, unread threads get marked as read after one week. But I don't think your post triggered my "Unread Posts" alert in this thread at all. I'm going to close all tabs on DVD Talk, so please reply to me here so I can test this.
Here is your reply.

FWIW, this (all being marked read) happens within an hour, at least for me. That is really a guess, but I think it's a reasonable one.
Old 01-15-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

I think it's actually much shorter than that. If I stay logged into the site on my PC, and am inactive for 10 or 15 minutes, everything gets marked as read.
Old 01-15-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're probably right. I guess I meant that it's a reasonable guess relative to what Joel mentioned regarding a week.
Old 01-15-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

For me it is about 10-15 minutes before all are marked read.
Old 01-15-19, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts

I don't know if this is related to the unread posts thing, but anyone remember a loooonnnnggg time ago, the forum used to get really really slow, then crash. Something along the lines of the temp directory in the DB got filled. And as a fix for that, they automated something to clear that out, and as a result of that if you ran a search (New Posts, etc) the url would only last so long before it turned into a page not found.
Every time you do a search, you get a searchid=, so if you had 10 pages of results you would only get so far before the searchid expired and then everything would be marked read.

It would seem to me, since the forum is not as busy as it once was, this could be adjusted (assuming it is still activated somewhere). I very rarely have over 2 pages of results anymore, unless I'm not around for awhile.
Old 01-15-19, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Try editing wikiposts now.

Still working on the wikipost content "randomizing", but please send me all examples, either in this thread or through PM.

Last edited by IBJoel; 01-15-19 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 05:23 PM
Administrator

I spoke with tech and I think I fixed unread thread marking. They did say it will take a couple of days to kind of "clear out" all the cookies from before.
Old 01-15-19, 07:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I spoke with tech and I think I fixed unread thread marking. They did say it will take a couple of days to kind of "clear out" all the cookies from before.
It seems to have set me back to where the last two weeks or so are marked unread.
Old 01-15-19, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

It seems to have set me back to where the last two weeks or so are marked unread.
Yeah, that's what I'm experiencing too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.