Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Jan. 3rd 2019 Upgrade Master Thread

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Jan. 3rd 2019 Upgrade Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-19, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Re: Jan. 3rd 2019 Upgrade Master Thread

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I agree, the new format sucks, but to be fair, many members regularly complained about the previous one.
To be fair, we will complain about the next one as well. Any change is going to invoke bitching and complaining. To me, it's just a matter of how quickly can I adjust my own behaviors (not the ones They want me to).
Old 01-04-19, 08:22 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Tech is working on fixing that. In the meantime, try bypassing your cache. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...ass_your_cache
Did not help.
Old 01-04-19, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

If you have a browser plugin that allows changing CSS (I use Styler Classic), you can get rid of the whitespace on the right side using this:

#main-content { width: 100% !important }

In Styler Classic, for example, load the forums, click the S icon in the top-right of Chrome, then put that text in the CSS section.
Old 01-04-19, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mzupeman2

Think of it like the video game industry. They’re always inventing new ways to separate you from the money your wallet… sometimes their ideas work, sometimes they don’t. When an idea DOESN’T work, does that mean they’ve learned a lesson? That they won’t come up with yet other ways to make you want to spend money above the initial $60 price point? No… it just makes them go back to the drawing board and find new means.

This isn’t a commentary about Joel or anything, but rather the company itself. I know his hands are tied on a lot of this stuff and he’s really just the mouthpiece and relay. But, man, this site is clearly fading away and it seems other users in this thread are noticing the same thing. It’s truly sad. I love DVDTalk, but everything that’s being going on as of late is just too much for my poor heart to handle.

I think that is something that we tend to forget ... that this forum, and any other forum, is actually a business. If we want the forum to thrive and continue to exist, I suppose we should be asking "What can we do?" instead of just complaining about what is being "done to us".

Whether it is DVDTalk or Facebook, it may have been created by a guy in his bedroom with a passion (PHRASING!) but it ultimately has to be able to turn a profit or at least support itself.

So ... Joel, what can we do to support the forum? (I'll tell you now, I don't pay attention to ads let alone actually click on them on purpose.)
Old 01-04-19, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

No one likes change, but the ads pay for the site and pay to have the forum maintained. It's a necessary evil.

Blu-Ray.com has two huge white gaps on the left and right side of the screen. But, I assume they get Ad and sponsorship money from other sources like contests and deals with the studios. So they don't need to use Google sense advertising.
Old 01-04-19, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TGM
shutting off the infinity thread bullshit is key.
Spoiler for the end of Infinity Thread ...

Half the users disappear.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 01-05-19 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-04-19, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess my question is ... what exactly were the upgrades?

It's a new look, but actually restructuring the forums into more current/relevant topics than we had almost 20 years ago (Jesus, I have wasted my life away but you guys have kept me entertained) would have gone further IMO.
Old 01-04-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

From my testing on FF today, it seemed to be up to speed, even while running Chrome.
I'll try it again tomorrow, thanks. Continues to run smoothly in Opera.
Originally Posted by The Cow
You can turn off the unlimited scrolling.
Thank you for making note of that. Holy shit, was it irritating to suddenly be reading posts from 4 days ago! Anyone else bothered by it, go to usercp>Settings & Options>Edit Options; scroll down to infinite scroll>disable.
Old 01-04-19, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Now I don't have either navigation bar, which isn't really a problem for me, but it's probably not what you want.
Actually, it looks like you just tuned off Infinite scroll for me. When I turn it back on, the top bar still goes away as I scroll down.
Old 01-04-19, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I honestly thought something was broken on the site, and after about two days of it still looking bad I went to the feedback forum to see how much longer until the problem got fixed.
Old 01-04-19, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Cow
You can turn off the unlimited scrolling.
And thank god for that. IMHO it's the stupidest of these modern web design ideas. On a really long thread with lots of pictures I could scroll and scroll and scroll until (theoretically) all my memory gets used up and my computer crashes. Great!!! I don't suppose the powers-that-be would consider reversing the setting, i.e. leaving it OFF until the users opts to turn it ON?

Thankfully I am not seeing it in the mobile interface, either because it wasn't implemented there or because somebody had the good sense to realize that not every browser works like that and excluded Opera Mini.

I'm grateful that IB didn't play hide-and-seek with the Log Out option, hiding it under some DHTML menu, another example of idiotic design. Overall, though, I don't object to the updated layout. It's busier, but also (at least on the mobile version) more functional.
Old 01-04-19, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by thetao
I'm grateful that IB didn't play hide-and-seek with the Log Out option, hiding it under some DHTML menu, another example of idiotic design.
Gah, I spoke too soon.
Old 01-04-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From my testing on FF today, it seemed to be up to speed, even while running Chrome.
Yes, works fine in Firefox.

With the scrolling set to off and running ABP, the site is pretty much back to the way it was before, minus a few visual differences that are either improvements or not bothersome.
Old 01-04-19, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Yes, works fine in Firefox.

With the scrolling set to off and running ABP, the site is pretty much back to the way it was before, minus a few visual differences that are either improvements or not bothersome.
It's definitely closer than it was, but still very much white, even when not considering the whitespace on the right.

Having said that, if I'm not mistaken, there has been an improvement regarding the whitespace since the upgrade was initially launched... It seems that the space between posts, more specifically, I think it was at the bottom of posts, has been reduced.

I also think the blue being used for the forum is a bit lighter. I could be wrong, but it looks that way to me. It sounds petty, but you get used to subtle things after so many years.
Old 01-04-19, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus
It's definitely closer than it was, but still very much white, even when not considering the whitespace on the right.

Having said that, if I'm not mistaken, there has been an improvement regarding the whitespace since the upgrade was initially launched... It seems that the space between posts, more specifically, I think it was at the bottom of posts, has been reduced.

I also think the blue being used for the forum is a bit lighter. I could be wrong, but it looks that way to me. It sounds petty, but you get used to subtle things after so many years.
Yeah, I'm sure most who bother to try will get used to it. The whitespace on the right doesn't irk me. There's also something missing that used to be on the left side of the page, though I can't remember what.

Old 01-04-19, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

Here's the site from October if anyone feels nostalgic.

https://web.archive.org/web/20181026...m.dvdtalk.com/
Old 01-05-19, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

I appreciate all the attention that Joel is giving us.

The ads are unfortunate, but IB bought the site to make money. That's life.

I've read that Internet Explorer is losing market share, but it's pretty funny that vBulletin can't even be bothered to support it. Take that, Microsoft! Bam!

I do not like the automatic logout. I liked the "stay logged in" checkbox.
Old 01-05-19, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I do not like the automatic logout. I liked the "stay logged in" checkbox.
I haven't been automatically logged out since the new format launched.
Old 01-05-19, 09:54 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Has it been answered yet why the update was made and what the supposed improvements are? I get that ads are necessary, and will get used to them out there on the right.

But so far, three of my favorite things about the forum are gone (panic button, wikis, and linking to individual posts), and I don’t see a single improvement.
Old 01-05-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

The editor is broken. Different issues with different choices.

Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls:

Seems to work OK if you're editing a post inline. However, switch to "Advanced" mode and it will not stretch to the width of the screen as before. The max is maybe 1/3rd (at least on my screen). The "corner adjust" will allow it to be pulled down as far as you want but it can't be pulled across.

Replying to a post presents an editor interface like the "Advanced" mode - unable to pull to screen width.

Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing:

Also seems to work OK if you're editing a post inline or creating a new post. When it's switched to "Advanced" you completely lose the "corner adjust" control and have a small box in which to edit/create your post. It will have scroll bars, vertical and horizontal, depending on post content.

Replying to a post presents an editor interface like the "Advanced" mode - unable to adjust editor size at all.

Enhanced Interface - Full CKEditor Editing:

Seems OK editing inline, creating, or replying in any mode. BUT if you have a post to which you've added color using the Standard Editor those colors do not show in the edit window so you have no idea what you've done or how to go about fixing any color related issues. Your only choice is to switch to either "Standard/Extra" or "Enhanced/WYSIWYG" to make necessary adjustments. However, leaving either editors active then brings the issues specific to them.

I think that's it on those but I've not spent the time to fully test every function. Suffice it to say that each is broken in some manner making using the editor, especially editing/updating previous posts, something those of us doing challenges do frequently, and/or replying to others an arduous task.
Old 01-05-19, 10:47 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Wow...this looks like its straight from 2002. Is this some sort of joke?
Old 01-05-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by DJariya
No one likes change, but the ads pay for the site and pay to have the forum maintained. It's a necessary evil.

Blu-Ray.com has two huge white gaps on the left and right side of the screen. But, I assume they get Ad and sponsorship money from other sources like contests and deals with the studios. So they don't need to use Google sense advertising.
But they also earned that spot. They have a thriving comminity because the site and forum designs are fine,
and they have tons of features like collection tracking and whatever else.

This site could possibly bounce back to a certain degree if it made it clear to the world out there that it’s turning a new page... but that’s a spend money to make money proposition and IB clearly couldn’t care less about that. Instead, the response is to toss ads everywhere.

Let’s see how that works out.

Spoiler alert: not well.
Old 01-05-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 425 Likes on 294 Posts

With infinite scroll off it isn't that bad... just take a little getting used to.

Great more ads, more chances for the takeover BS that's plagued the mobile site for much longer than it ever should have.
Old 01-05-19, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Has it been answered yet why the update was made and what the supposed improvements are? I get that ads are necessary, and will get used to them out there on the right.

But so far, three of my favorite things about the forum are gone (panic button, wikis, and linking to individual posts), and I don’t see a single improvement.
Users with broken profiles because of non-alphanumeric characters in their user name (like mine) have been fixed with the update.

Only took them 5 years to fix it from the time the bug was first reported.
Old 01-05-19, 12:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Users with broken profiles because of non-alphanumeric characters in their user name (like mine) have been fixed with the update.

Only took them 5 years to fix it from the time the bug was first reported.
That was nice, but is there any reason to look at someone’s profile? To find contact info is the only thing I can fathom, and we always had the ability to do that with you and the similarly bugged usernames.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.